Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Jacks-Westerwinds GDT

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
    I wasn't impressed with the announcers pronunciation of the SDSU players names, but I thought the overall broadcast was well done, especially for a web cast. The picture and camera angles were good, they actually cut to commercials and transitioned to them effortlessly, and I really like the sideline reporting aspect. Student run or not, I think SDSU could take some pointers from WIU on their web casts of games (except I would suggest keeping the play by play announcer professional, like we currently have). A student color commentator and student sideline reporter wouldn't be a bad idea though, as I, for one, would like to see the SDSU Journalism Department be "more" involved in the production of the games, as college is suppose to prepare you for your future job, and what better place to learn the rope than in a local media settting along side a professional like Tyler.
    The journalism dept. at SDSU is very well run, like JJ said Tyler just graduated. I think we could pull it off, but there are things I don't know about such as funds that may not allow it to happen

Comment

wiu shooting 61 percent

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
        wiu shooting 61 percent
        Thread Error?
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
          Until 8 months ago, Tyler was an SDSU journalism student.
          Tyler is very very good.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
            Ugly? Consider this:

Jacks had one player with three points, one with four, one with five, four with six, one with seven and one with eight.

The 20th ranked team in the country just got a 21-point league win on the road without anyone scoring in double figures.
            This is simply amazing!!!

GREAT D, especially 2nd half.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
              This is simply amazing!!!

GREAT D, especially 2nd half.

With you on that point, rabidrabbit... When a recruit asks, will I get playing time on such an accomplished team, all AJ has to do is pull out the box score from the 22nd win tonight.
              Worth repeating (with update): Jacks had one player with one point, one with three points, one with four, one with five, four with six, one with seven and one with eight. The 20th ranked team in the country just got a 21-point league win on the road without anyone scoring in double figures.

Go jacks....

Comment

With you on that point, rabidrabbit... When a recruit asks, will I get playing time on such an accomplished team, all AJ has to do is pull out the box score from the 22nd win tonight.
                Worth repeating (with update): Jacks had one player with one point, one with three points, one with four, one with five, four with six, one with seven and one with eight. The 20th ranked team in the country just got a 21-point league win on the road without anyone scoring in double figures.

Go jacks....
                That is insane, talk about balance and not relying on one player

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                  The journalism dept. at SDSU is very well run
                  It's also the oldest accredited journalism school in the U.S. (but that's, perhaps, taking too much credit for an accident of geography and scheduling-------in the same way that North Dakota is actually a few minutes or hours older than South Dakota.)

Comment

Cheer loudly, GJ....
                    Who won that Oklahoma State game in '68? Anything you can remember from it?
                    I did. OSU by single or low double digits-- about 8 or 10 (I think). SDSU was just emerging (as today) from the dark ages of the mid-sixties. I remember running into a fellow grad (Denny Veghi--we were in different rock bands before graduating in 67) and having students ask him about Raoul Duarte-- who was new and from South America (Colombia, maybe?)

Hank Iba looked ancient to me and I remember thinking he had been in Stillwater forever. Now I'm just about as old and have been in my job just about forever.

Gallagher Hall was small but packed. I think they expanded it in the nineties around the original court to keep the magic in the building.

Much better basketball school at that time then OU was, that's for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                      It's also the oldest accredited journalism school in the U.S. (but that's, perhaps, taking too much credit for an accident of geography and scheduling-------in the same way that North Dakota is actually a few minutes or hours older than South Dakota.)
                      I started as a journalism major at SDSC (became SDSU in my sophomore year). Would love for it to actually be the oldest, but alas-- no.

Mizzou claims the oldest j-school starting in 1908, the same year that SDSC offered a journalism course. The oldest journalism course was at Washington College (Washington and Lee)

http://eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/cus...accno=ED402599

"A brief narrative description of the journal article, document, or resource. The first class of journalism students ever assembled at a college or university enrolled at Washington College (now Washington and Lee University) in 1869-70. Studying Washington College's efforts shows that much of the promise and the shortcomings of this discipline were clearly evident more than 125 years ago. During the 1700s and 1800s the typical college curriculum was restricted to the liberal arts, and studies took place in an atmosphere similar to an academy or boarding school, reflecting British roots. The common way to learn journalism was to apprentice in a print shop, in the tradition of Benjamin Franklin. A proposal was made in 1834 for a formal school of journalism, to be called "The Washington Institute," with the intention of raising journalistic standards in the United States. During the later 19th century American higher education changed rapidly to imitate the admired German model, where lessons were based on systematic methods of inquiry and the university was viewed as a laboratory designed to develop experts and scholars. In 1862 the Morrill Land Grant Act helped establish colleges that would offer teaching specifically in fields of a practical and industrial nature--colleges were encouraged to revise their curricula. Robert E. Lee was Washington College's president when journalism education began there. He organized a committee to plan for journalism education, met with the trustees to make his case, and arranged for and advertised scholarships. After Lee's death in 1870, the program was discontinued. Though no official reason was given, the program ended probably because of constant attacks by the press. (Contains 60 notes.) (NKA)"

Comment

Ugly? Consider this:

Jacks had one player with three points, one with four, one with five, four with six, one with seven and one with eight.

The 20th ranked team in the country just got a 21-point league win on the road without anyone scoring in double figures.
                        Seeing it live it was evident that SDSU's depth simply wore them down. I saw the Valley semis last year and as the Jacks are much deeper-- at least this afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
                          I started as a journalism major at SDSC (became SDSU in my sophomore year). Would love for it to actually be the oldest, but alas-- no.
                          Key word is 'accredited'

The SDSU journalism program was the first one that was accredited. It was not the first journalism program period. Just the first one to be accredited.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                            Key word is 'accredited'

The SDSU journalism program was the first one that was accredited. It was not the first journalism program period. Just the first one to be accredited.
                            That's right. Accreditation is a big deal. SDSU's program has been continually accredited since 1948, when accreditation began. We were one of just four programs in the nation to receive unconditional re-accreditation a couple of years ago after the standards became more stringent. The other journalism program in the state was only accredited in the 1990s, and has nearly lost its accreditation since then.

The accreditation process occurs every six years and programs are evaluated for compliance with a series of standards related to quality of instruction and student outcomes. It's a very detailed look at a program. You can't hide problems in the accreditation process.

And FYI: Journalism and Mass Comm has recently grown to become the largest program in the College of Arts & Sciences at SDSU.

As to whether we could provide enhancements to the online broadcasts. Sure. We have students who could do it. But Keyframe has three cameras at the events. It would be great to have more. But cost is an issue.
                            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I may be new, and I may come off as a smarty for this, but I think the term for this is 'thread-drift'. I have also been known to do this, but there is always someone to set me straight.

GO JACKS

Comment

Thread Drift ? I think think thread got hit by a hurricane and got blown way off course.

Comment

Working...
                                X