Oakland University Saturday Night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oakland University Saturday Night

To our student members - What are you, or the athletic dept doing to assure that each wing of each dorm know and are planning cheer contests, floor t-shirt night and generally aiming to stuff Frost with so many students that get intimidating loud to cause missed FTs, technicals on the opponent coaches, and rattle the opposing players? A full FROST is the MOST INTIMIDATING ARENA IN THE SUMMIT. Guys/Gals - This is a play-off caliber game, let's make the atmosphere play-off worthy!

This OU game is between two likely post-season teams. Let's show the Griz, that WNIT is THEIR Berth this year.

Comment

Oakland Univ has a very vocal student section set up behind the visitors bench and their pep band is in the endzone bleachers by the visitors bench. They make a lot of noise and do what they can to taunt the team within reason. Like yelling "Who Cares" when the visitors are introduced and standing with their backs to the team. Any State students on this board I urge you guys to get as close to the Oakland bench and make some noise, rattle them, don't get obscene but represent and make it hard for them hear, think, and communicate. Make them dread having to come into the largest rabbit den in the nation, Frost Arena.

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
        My parents want to attend the games on Saturday. I told them last night that they needed to order their tickets and pick them up at will call. They said they were buying general admission tickets and they did not think you could purchase them in advance. Is that true?

I just don't want them to drive all the way from Watertown only to find out the game is sold out and they can't get in. Can someone clarify this for me?

This may be a little off topic, but it is more on topic than the 'Yote vs. MD lovefest being discussed.

Go State!!!
        Go Jacks!!!
        I'm pretty sure that if you offer the ticket office money they will take it and hold the tickets at the "Will Call" window.

However, I also am pretty sure that this weekend's game will not sell out. If only 4400 came to the WBB game against NDSU (c. 1500 short of a 'sellout'), I'd figure tops would be 4k for this game----and that's a pretty high estimate.

Anything under, say, 3200 is a disappointment. 3500 would be legit for the doubleheader.

Weather permitting, of course.

-------------------

The Bizon announcers down for the game last Friday mentioned that the atmosphere was "Division 1", and commented about the student section being both vocal and right on top of the court.

And that, IMO, is the best thing about the world's biggest cracker box. You're on top of the action---and then some.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
          make it hard for them hear, think, and communicate. Make them dread having to come into the largest rabbit den in the nation, Frost Arena.
          There is no WBB venue in the Summit that compares to Frost.

The Lady Grizz are about to discover just how hard it is to climb out of a hole at Frost.

As when the Jacks played Utah, the fans ---==KNOW==--- that this is a revenge game, and they'll make the appropriate amount of noise at the appropriate points in the game.

Comment

Revenge of the Rabbits

TV's great article about revenge as motivator.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...egory=CUSTOMER

From the article: Then, in the opener of a Saturday doubleheader, the SDSU women take on Oakland - the squad that ended the Jacks' 15-game Summit League win streak three weeks ago - in a first-place showdown.

"We got owned on that court," senior guard Ashlea Muckenhirn said. "We were out-hustled, outworked, and it was a real eye-opener."

The SDSU women have been especially good in revenge games. (more above link)

Don't forget to Recommend this read!

Comment

Sound's like Oakland's due for a good ole fashioned whoop'n from the jacks, they shook a bee hive the last time these two teams met.
              Yea , you might momentarily shake up our world, but in the end you'll get stung.
              Fans are fired up, players are all fired up, should be one heck of a game!

Comment

I'm pretty sure that if you offer the ticket office money they will take it and hold the tickets at the "Will Call" window.

However, I also am pretty sure that this weekend's game will not sell out. If only 4400 came to the WBB game against NDSU (c. 1500 short of a 'sellout'), I'd figure tops would be 4k for this game----and that's a pretty high estimate.

Anything under, say, 3200 is a disappointment. 3500 would be legit for the doubleheader.

Weather permitting, of course.

-------------------

The Bizon announcers down for the game last Friday mentioned that the atmosphere was "Division 1", and commented about the student section being both vocal and right on top of the court.

And that, IMO, is the best thing about the world's biggest cracker box. You're on top of the action---and then some.[/

I agree with this Z. It won't sell out and they'll be able to get a ticket. I wouldn't worry about that at all.

And THAT is a great quote!

Comment

Oakland Univ has a very vocal student section set up behind the visitors bench and their pep band is in the endzone bleachers by the visitors bench. They make a lot of noise and do what they can to taunt the team within reason. Like yelling "Who Cares" when the visitors are introduced and standing with their backs to the team. Any State students on this board I urge you guys to get as close to the Oakland bench and make some noise, rattle them, don't get obscene but represent and make it hard for them hear, think, and communicate. Make them dread having to come into the largest rabbit den in the nation, Frost Arena.

I agree that the student section needs to make alot of noise. However, I hope they do not adopt the "who cares" chant or turn their backs during introductions. I like the fact that our teams win with class and I want the student section to follow that lead. IMO, complete silence duing their introductions would be alot more intimidating. And it would make the Jacks' intro that much more impressive and loud.
                  -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                    I agree that the student section needs to make alot of noise. However, I hope they do not adopt the "who cares" chant or turn their backs during introductions. I like the fact that our teams win with class and I want the student section to follow that lead. IMO, complete silence duing their introductions would be alot more intimidating. And it would make the Jacks' intro that much more impressive and loud.
                    I've always been a proponent the response to "please give a warm Jackrabbit welcome to xxxxxxxx" being a loud and hearty "Hello, there!"

The last friendly sound they'll hear in Frost, of course.

(I also sometimes give a "yay" when the officials are announced, but I'm a little warped that way.)
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

The Who Cares and the back turns were examples of what OU does. I would prefer that every one in Frost kind of do a foot stomp and clap like the intro to one of Queens songs. "We will rock you." You know stomp, stomp. clap. Get every one, even the geezers to do it.

Comment

The Who Cares and the back turns were examples of what OU does. I would prefer that every one in Frost kind of do a foot stomp and clap like the intro to one of Queens songs. "We will rock you." You know stomp, stomp. clap. Get every one, even the geezers to do it.
                        Did any see the introduction on ESPN last night of the Wake Forest Men's Basketball Team vs. Duke. Pretty elaborate and really got the crowd into it. Shut off all of the lights , played some kind of "cool music", and had their "Demon Deacon" mascot ride in on a Harley.

This is something would be pretty neat to get the crowd (especially student section) into the game before it even started.

Comment

For like five minutes just stand and stomp and clap before the game starts. When OU comes out the crowd goes quiet and doesnt make a sound. Then start again until the Jacks come out and the school song starts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iikKzQwgBJc
                          Last edited by SturgisJeff; 01-30-2009, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Acccording to Jerry Palms collegerpi.com in his projected rpi's he has the Jacks winning out finishing 28-2 and Oakland finishing 23-5 losing just to the Jacks. Lets hope he is right.

Comment

For like five minutes just stand and stomp and clap before the game starts. When OU comes out the crowd goes quiet and doesnt make a sound. Then start again until the Jacks come out and the school song starts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iikKzQwgBJc
                              OMG...that song just brought back high school football I am a graduate of West Central (I will date myself here 1990) not sure if they still do this but in my day every football game started with the team running onto the field with this song and the crowd doing the stomp...lol

it was pretty cool to see and be a part of.

Comment

I'm going to give this Oakland thread another try. Thanks for all the criticism, some comments more constructive than others, all deserved.

Looking forward to the doubleheader. Basketball clinic for my oldest daughter in the morning. I hope to get a look at some of the campus buildings during the day and visit the bookstore.

Pork classic so you know there will be good food. I don't have any room for a hog but I might have to bid on some pork.

Huge game for the women, revenge or no revenge, gotta have our best effort. I think they hold the key with respect to the crowd factor. If they came out firing on all cylinders the crowd will get involved.

Going to meet with some of the SDSU Foundation staff between games, looking forward to that.

The finale, the men's game. A tough Oakland team with a couple of studs. They are going to be fired up after the loss in Fargo. Our guys should be able to build on a gutsy win from last night. We have to play better defense (we did yesterday). The game out in Michigan showed OU that the Jackrabbits won't lie down, we aren't going to surprise them. Should be one heck of a game.

Last thing, I might even check the radio during the afternoon to see how the USD/UND games turn out.
                                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X