Oakland University Saturday Night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oakland University Saturday Night

I've got a three day weekend coming up and would love to be there if I could sneak on the Oakland plane but that ain't gonna happen. That would be great though, sneak a little ex-lax into their in flight snack. A fifteen hour drive to Brookings on Friday is a little long and then fifteen hours back on Sunday. I still got two days to think about it. But prob will watch it on go Jacks.

The Jacks got all week to get up for this one, the grizzs played a tough one at home against the jags and have to travel so the Jacks have the advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
      You have my number, just give me a call when you are bored. I've got 3 little kids and I'm always looking for a babysitter, even an old man like you.
      WTF you talking about. Old is just a state of mind!!! Yea, I forgot about golf. Heck last year I only got in 72 rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life View Post
        WTF you talking about. Old is just a state of mind!!! Yea, I forgot about golf. Heck last year I only got in 72 rounds.
        Isn't it past your bedtime? 72 rounds, now I've got a goal for the summer!!

Back to the topic at hand............
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
          At the risk of sounding patronizing, I hope you avenge your loss to Oakland earlier this season. Good luck and kick their butts.
          Sound however you would like and post whatever words you would like.......

I've been asked to tone down the rhetoric and I can do that. Its clear I'm a bit defensive about accepting well-wishes for USD supporters. That is my problem and I'll have to reconcile it. With time I think it can happen.

Saturday night should be on everyone's mind, not my rants.
          Last edited by jackmd; 01-28-2009, 09:44 AM. Reason: See above.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Saturday the 31st is also Junior Day at SDSU - I expect a ton of High School Juniors to visit - the pork feed and the basketball games are on the Junior day schedule... More folks to fill Frost!

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
              Sound however you would like and post whatever words you would like. You are new to this board and yet you act like I you have been supporting SDSU like the rest of us. I've been supporting Jackrabbit athletics for 25 years. I have been Jackrabbit fan through the transition to DI when there were plenty of SDSU, USD and other "supporters" speaking against the move to DI. I don't see any posts from you before USD decide to follow us.

I have no idea where you were during those first few years but you can sure as heck see where I was based on the number of posts I have on this board. I'm not speaking for you but I doubt you were wishing SDSU well like you are now.

I'm not asking for you respect me. I'll be a Jackrabbit fan regardless of what else that makes me in the mind of someone else. I don't think this forum is a place for me to express anything more than my fanaticism about SDSU. If you come here looking for something else, I guess I don't get that. I'm not looking for anyone's approval and I'm not going anywhere anytime soon.

So, before you start asking me to all of the sudden accept your good graces. I must ask where you were 6-7 years ago when this whole process started? Perhaps you have answered that question in confidence with other. If so, touche. If not, I'm not ready to accept your well-wishes with open arms.
              I will make this my last post, because I am relatively sure Filbert will ban me anyway for the content. But Doc, let me address your last post regarding my well wishes for your team this weekend.

First of all, I give you credit for picking up the sarcasim in the statement "at the risk of being patronizing" as it was intended for you. But given our history, I would expect you to pick up on it. To begin with, you make the claim you have supported SDSU athletics the past 25 years. Awesome. I played at USD, and have supported USD for a period of time longer than that. The reason you don't see any previous posts from me is because I wasn't aware of this board till December of this past year. So obviously, I couldn't make posts until that time anyway. Regarding the move to D-I, personally speaking, I wasn't in favor of the move by SDSU or NDSU for selfish reasons, because it meant the beginning of the end of the North Central Conference, arguably one of the more dominant leagues in NCAA sports D-II. There was a rich history of the NCC and being an athlete in that era, I had am immense amount of pride being part of that. Once you made the decision as a University to go to D-I, then it became very clear that USD had a choice. Remain D-II, and probably play down, or go D-I, and jump in the tank of sharks like your school did. Now, with all that being said, was I a naysayer of SDSU going D-I? The answer is an emphatic NO. I understoood. Did I bash your school for going D-I? NO. I understood. It then put USD in a position where they would have to act one way or another at some point in time. To me, and I said this to both AD's, I think that all 4 schools (SDSU,USD,NDSU, and UND) should have acted in concert and done this all together. Maybe that is wishful thinking, but I think it would have been good to do so. I still do. But that is water under the bridge.

Next you refer to your number of posts. 6000+. 6 years and 6000 posts. That is 1000 posts per year, or almost 3/day. Good for you. So what? Was I wishing SDSU well as you refer to in paragraph 2, the answer is YES. As I have stated before, I love the USD/SDSU rivalry, but I am not like you Doc, in that I don't have blinders on. Make no mistake, if we again play on the field or florr, I will wear red and cheer hard for the Yotes. But once that game is over, I will cheer hard for the Jacks. About the only time I would ever say I wouldn't cheer for SDSU is if they were playing someone and if they won, they advanced and USD sat home, or if they lost USD would advance. Then, yes, I privately wouldn't cheer for the Jacks. But those are the only situations that would be applicable.

Next paragraph, your comment on respect. That's a given. This is your fan board, that's true, and you should be allowed to say what you want within reasonable expectations. You are also right, I am an "outsider" in the sense I am a USD fan first. Yes, our fan board sucks, and yours is far more entertaining and enlightening, so it is fun to come here and banter and discuss. And with the lone exception of you Doc, believe this or not, even though I have cheered like I previously stated for the Jacks in the past, my interaction with the remaining fans on here has endeared me even more to SDSU, to the point I was thinking of coming up Saturday night and watch your womens team as opposed to going to Vermillion to watch them play UND. Not now. I still will cheer for them, just not in Frost. Lastly, the comment did I come here looking for something else? Yeah I did. Interaction with passionate sports fans, even you. I like reading everyones perspective on a range of sports topics. But you my friend are something else.

In closing, where was I the past 6-7 years. same place I have always been. Right here. I am a somewhat technologically challenged individual, and I didn't realize fan boards like this even existed. SDSU has a good one. It's fun. Earlier when I first got on, there were a couple, three posters that made my blood boil because I thought the attacks on USD and it's fans were wrong. So I defended my school. In those statements of defense, I was probably too harsh and said somethings I wouldn't say if I was standing before you or any of the posters I argued with. So I backed off, and made the determination to "soften" up and say what I really felt in terms of your teams success and other topics like renewing the rivalry, etc. etc. I made those statements in earnest, and I think most people on here would say that it has been an honest and open attempt to "soften" this whole USD/SDSU thing, and just accept sports for what they are.

Before I sign out for good, let me make a couple of points that I think need to be said. There is a strong sentiment on here that SDSU palyers, coaches and fans have been abused at USD during athletic events. I don't doubt that for one second. I have played in the rivalry, and please accept the fact that there are some fans behaviors in Brookings rival or equal those at USD. As much as I hate it, I honestly don't think some of it can be avoided. The last time USD played in Frost, one of your fans called my wife a c--t. My wife is an extremely classy woman, with Christian set of values, so don't think that didn't resonate with me. But as I have said, you can't let the actions of a few speak for the majority. Should USD have better controls at games? Probably. If I heard of some of the things that you have stated was said, as a fan and supporter, i would have personally gotten in those peoples faces, and apologized to you or whomever from SDSU was offended.

You are all about you. "Look at how many posts I have made". "I have been a fan for 25 years". "I give money, blah, blah, blah". "AJ has asked me to forget the past". blah blah blah. You are all about being seen and heard at SDSU. You are blinded with hatred for USD, and quite frankly, that's ok. But as I have stated in the past, don't talk down to me. My posts have been sincere, and I was becoming more endeared to go to your games. Not now.

To the rest of the Jackrabbit world.......good luck in all your sports.
              Last edited by yoteforever; 01-28-2009, 09:50 AM. Reason: missing a word

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                You are all about you. "Look at how many posts I have made". "I have been a fan for 25 years". "I give money, blah, blah, blah". "AJ has asked me to forget the past". blah blah blah. You are all about being seen and heard at SDSU. You are blinded with hatred for USD, and quite frankly, that's ok. But as I have stated in the past, don't talk down to me. My posts have been sincere, and I was becoming more endeared to go to your games. Not now.

To the rest of the Jackrabbit world.......good luck in all your sports.
                Interesting way to approach a conflict. Try and make someone else the bad guy, the scapegoat. I don't think you and I have ever discussed exactly how I feel about USD in a neutral setting. This is an SDSU fan board. I'm guessing the forum will survive without you are me. Thanks for your time and energy thus far. We'll find someone else to fill your seat at Frost.

Comment

UUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't we all just get along and cheer for our beloved Jacks!

I've never been one to shy away from a good "smackfest" but try to keep it in the right place but I to have crossed the line a few times. We should get you two your own "coyoteforever vs. jackmd" smack thread. It doesn't need to get personal on either part.

Yoteforever, please do come up for Saturday night. It should be two great games! We can try and keep jackmd caged (just kidding). I thought your last post with the exception of the attacks on jackmd was pretty classy. His attacks aren't necessary either. Hopefully those can end.

It is always nice to have the opinions of a USD fan that can just provide some decent logic and report on what is happening in Vermillion. Sure I smack those that come on here to smack us but show respect for others that are here for decent conversation. I'm on record for wishing USD success from the standpoint it is important for South Dakota as a whole. Of course, I cheer for the Jacks when we face off in anything.

Let's try and get it back on topic and talk about the upcoming games with Oakland and enjoying the fantastic season this team is having.

Cheers!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

PM'ed to the contestants here, I quote a portion for public consumption:
                    I don't have a problem with board members taking exception to what others write but this is starting to get out of hand--it is NOT fun for others to read.

So, again, to JackMD primarily, please tone it down. You've gotten the benefit of the doubt (from me at least) so far for being a long-time member and poster, but that has its limits.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

My parents want to attend the games on Saturday. I told them last night that they needed to order their tickets and pick them up at will call. They said they were buying general admission tickets and they did not think you could purchase them in advance. Is that true?

I just don't want them to drive all the way from Watertown only to find out the game is sold out and they can't get in. Can someone clarify this for me?

This may be a little off topic, but it is more on topic than the 'Yote vs. MD lovefest being discussed.

Go State!!!
                      Go Jacks!!!
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
                        My parents want to attend the games on Saturday. I told them last night that they needed to order their tickets and pick them up at will call. They said they were buying general admission tickets and they did not think you could purchase them in advance. Is that true?

I just don't want them to drive all the way from Watertown only to find out the game is sold out and they can't get in. Can someone clarify this for me?

This may be a little off topic, but it is more on topic than the 'Yote vs. MD lovefest being discussed.

Go State!!!
                        Go Jacks!!!
                        I just want to gojacks.com and started to place a ticket order for Saturday night's doubleheader. I entered 2 Adult General Admission and it brought up the next screen and automatically said Will Call. Obviously I didn't follow through with placing the order but it appeared that it was going to work.
                        The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post

Go State!!!
                          Go Jacks!!!
                          There is no reason you shouldn't be able to purchase GA tickets in advance. Either go online and order them or call the ticket office. Either way they'll have to pick them up at will call.

Comment

I hope the students are rediscovering the fun that their participation in basketball at Frost Arena can be. It can easily be the "big-time" atmosphere that you see and envy at other places on TV. So I'll call the students out (in a good way)--you guys make the atmosphere in Frost--go there, be vocal--yell, scream, holler, have a good time--that's what it's for.

Your loud and active participation is really, really appreciated by the players and coaches--and by older guys like me who are still a bit hoarse from yelling so much last weekend! Come on, Students, I need you to come out so I don't completely rip my vocal cords to shreds.

I'm begging here.

(And I mean Thursday night and Monday night, too--not just Saturday night!)
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Should be able to call and get GA tickets. If they won't let you let me know and I can have a friend order them for you any time. It won't be an inconvenience at all.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                                I hope the students are rediscovering the fun that their participation in basketball at Frost Arena can be. It can easily be the "big-time" atmosphere that you see and envy at other places on TV. So I'll call the students out (in a good way)--you guys make the atmosphere in Frost--go there, be vocal--yell, scream, holler, have a good time--that's what it's for.

Your loud and active participation is really, really appreciated by the players and coaches--and by older guys like me who are still a bit hoarse from yelling so much last weekend! Come on, Students, I need you to come out so I don't completely rip my vocal cords to shreds.

I'm begging here.

(And I mean Thursday night and Monday night, too--not just Saturday night!)
                                Just a quick addition, watch games on television and appreciate that not every game, even some of the "big time" venues have anything even close to a sell out. Take the Maryland vs B.C. game last night. Plenty of empty seats, now, may have them may have been sold (season tickets). My point, just because you might think the crowd is going to be less than stellar do not use that as an excuse not to go yourself. I'm not sure that makes any sense but what the heck, at least I'm not berating some coyote fan.

Comment

Working...
                                X