Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oakland University Saturday Night

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
    I'm going to give this Oakland thread another try. Thanks for all the criticism, some comments more constructive than others, all deserved.

Looking forward to the doubleheader. Basketball clinic for my oldest daughter in the morning. I hope to get a look at some of the campus buildings during the day and visit the bookstore.

Pork classic so you know there will be good food. I don't have any room for a hog but I might have to bid on some pork.

Huge game for the women, revenge or no revenge, gotta have our best effort. I think they hold the key with respect to the crowd factor. If they came out firing on all cylinders the crowd will get involved.

Going to meet with some of the SDSU Foundation staff between games, looking forward to that.

The finale, the men's game. A tough Oakland team with a couple of studs. They are going to be fired up after the loss in Fargo. Our guys should be able to build on a gutsy win from last night. We have to play better defense (we did yesterday). The game out in Michigan showed OU that the Jackrabbits won't lie down, we aren't going to surprise them. Should be one heck of a game.

Last thing, I might even check the radio during the afternoon to see how the USD/UND games turn out.

Didn't they just play each other last weekend up in Canada??

Go Jacks!!
    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
      Didn't they just play each other last weekend up in Canada??

Go Jacks!!
      They did play very recently, maybe it was just last weekend. They play in Vermillion tomorrow afternoon (1 and 3 pm), not sure why they have chosen afternoon start times.

Brief aside, I visited the USD campus yesterday (Yes I wanted to see the new buildings) and I like what they have done. The student center looks great. The Lee Medicine Building is very nearly completely finished, labs, etc... The business school building is up, it looks like a nice building as well. I know Dr. Abbott talked about some potential funding short falls with the recession. As others have said, its going to be an interesting year.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I would love to be at those game tommorrow. For both teams the games are probably the most important to this point in the season. A win and the ladies run the table the rest of the way, course got to play the games first, projected rpi has the Jacks finishing at 28 and 2. We all know what is at stake. If you go to the games cheer loud and long. I will be sitting here cheering at my computer/

Comment

Jacks should play like underdogs and with a chip on the shoulder
          All sorts of motivating points:
          Oakland has won eight straight, Jacks five.
          Oakland wants to take title Jacks hold from last year.
          Top seed in Summit tournament at stake.
          Jacks playing at home. No one comes into Frost and succeeds.

Set a tone early, Jacks.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
            I agree that the student section needs to make alot of noise. However, I hope they do not adopt the "who cares" chant or turn their backs during introductions. I like the fact that our teams win with class and I want the student section to follow that lead. IMO, complete silence duing their introductions would be alot more intimidating. And it would make the Jacks' intro that much more impressive and loud.
            I was always a fan of:

PA: "Starting at guard, 6'2'' senior, John Smith"

Student section: "Hi John! You suck!"

Then again, no one has ever accused me of having class

I'm disappointed I'm going to miss this double header, but I have a feeling the girls are going to roll them. Nothing like a little revenge. I expect a super fast start from the Jacks.
            Originally posted by JackFan96
            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
              Did any see the introduction on ESPN last night of the Wake Forest Men's Basketball Team vs. Duke. Pretty elaborate and really got the crowd into it. Shut off all of the lights , played some kind of "cool music", and had their "Demon Deacon" mascot ride in on a Harley.

This is something would be pretty neat to get the crowd (especially student section) into the game before it even started.
              In my opinion that's something I would expect at the Fargo and UNI dome and only belongs in professional sports aka Skyforce. Granted, SDSU did have the Rabbit ride in on a Harley at CAS, but I think it was a day game.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks99 View Post
                In my opinion that's something I would expect at the Fargo and UNI dome and only belongs in professional sports aka Skyforce. Granted, SDSU did have the Rabbit ride in on a Harley at CAS, but I think it was a day game.
                That and the Harley was pretty sweet (although I've always had a thing for Fatboys instead)... Sorry, I'm a sucker for motorcycles. Bad thread drift.

Comment

Does the basketball team have a scoreboard intro like the football team does. Still pictures, video of great plays, player pictures, strong rousing music background? If so why don't we see it on go jacks and if not Why not.

Comment

This is what we should see tonight against OU.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhiaRl_oApE

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                      Does the basketball team have a scoreboard intro like the football team does. Still pictures, video of great plays, player pictures, strong rousing music background? If so why don't we see it on go jacks and if not Why not.
                      No, they don't. And yes, that's a good idea. They do show the team as it makes its way to the arena from their meeting room, which is a hint to the fans to stand up and get ready.

I know they have a couple of things in the works including adding some kind of "Go Jacks" chant to the fight song so we don't just stand there and clap like sleepy robots while the song is playing. Kind of like at Iowa where they have a couple of "Go Hawks" in the song and then sing the last verse. I don't know if we'll be singing, but we'll be saying "Go Jacks" or "Go State" or something at strategic points in the fight song.

SDSU does have a new promotions director, Justin Swanson came from NDSU to replace Micah Grenz. Justin seems to have a good head on his shoulders and no doubt has some good ideas that you'll see rolling out before long.
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                        No, they don't. And yes, that's a good idea. They do show the team as it makes its way to the arena from their meeting room, which is a hint to the fans to stand up and get ready.

I know they have a couple of things in the works including adding some kind of "Go Jacks" chant to the fight song so we don't just stand there and clap like sleepy robots while the song is playing. Kind of like at Iowa where they have a couple of "Go Hawks" in the song and then sing the last verse. I don't know if we'll be singing, but we'll be saying "Go Jacks" or "Go State" or something at strategic points in the fight song.

SDSU does have a new promotions director, Justin Swanson came from NDSU to replace Micah Grenz. Justin seems to have a good head on his shoulders and no doubt has some good ideas that you'll see rolling out before long.
                        I still think that SDSU should send some people (including some cheerleaders and the pep band director) to Allen Fieldhouse to see how Kansas does it. From about 10 minutes before the game, it's a choreographed performance including the cheerleaders, dance squad, mascot, pep band--and the fans in the stands, of course: practicing the Rock Chalk chant, playing Kansas' three catchy fight songs, etc., etc.

Of course, we have to be SDSU not Kansas, but I think we can incorporate SDSU traditions (find/build a humongous six-foot-high "Rooter King" cowbell again and ring it before the games, for instance) into something that would feel a lot more like an event.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Didn't they use intros the first year with the new scoreboards? Remember highlight clips including flaming basketballs for the women to music.

Comment

This is what we should see tonight against OU.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhiaRl_oApE
                            That my Jackrabbit friend was and awesome video and exactly the kind of thing that should be shown prior to player introductions. If that does not get you fired up as a fan, player or coach they should check your blood pressure or adjust your medication. It got my attention.

Still 7 hours away from game time and I can feel my heart racing already. Should be a fun evening in old Frost Arena.

GBGBGJ

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                              I still think that SDSU should send some people (including some cheerleaders and the pep band director) to Allen Fieldhouse to see how Kansas does it. From about 10 minutes before the game, it's a choreographed performance including the cheerleaders, dance squad, mascot, pep band--and the fans in the stands, of course: practicing the Rock Chalk chant, playing Kansas' three catchy fight songs, etc., etc.

Of course, we have to be SDSU not Kansas, but I think we can incorporate SDSU traditions (find/build a humongous six-foot-high "Rooter King" cowbell again and ring it before the games, for instance) into something that would feel a lot more like an event.
                              Like the 6 ft bell, yes the pre-game show needs work....look at what Bob Burns did for O'Gorman with the Dakota Bowl thing, would be nice to incorporate ,start, a" fan rousing tradition", i think mostly it,s gotta be the students to get the " old geezers "into it Excitement & enthusiasm are contagious!
                              Last edited by shinman; 01-31-2009, 11:52 AM.

Comment

I would love to be at those game tommorrow. For both teams the games are probably the most important to this point in the season. A win and the ladies run the table the rest of the way, course got to play the games first, projected rpi has the Jacks finishing at 28 and 2. We all know what is at stake. If you go to the games cheer loud and long. I will be sitting here cheering at my computer/
                                AND . . . . . .
                                giving me updates right?
                                As always, thanks SJ, and everyone. Truly appreciated.
                                If we ever meet, I'm buyin'.
                                GO JACKS

Comment

Working...
                                X