2010 Recruiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2010 Recruiting

One of 'em is redshirting, last I heard. Not Eide. Heiser, I think?

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
      One of 'em is redshirting, last I heard. Not Eide. Heiser, I think?
      I haven't heard anything, but having seen them play on several occasions, if one does redshirt, I would bet that you are right about Heiser.

Comment

In the beginning of this thread someone mentioned Ashley of Roosevelt, are we going after her at all? If so I say go for it, would love to see her stay her in state. If not why aren't we?

I saw her play in Watertown and was impressed, great athlete.

Comment

I had understood that she was not recruited as she fit into a position that was already very deep at SDSU. That, of course, was probably at best third hand info.
          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
          -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
            This was taken from a December 12th article in the Argus on Roosevelt. Sounds like SDSU and USD may have interest in guard Shaunteva Ashley of Roosevelt. Two of the three comparisons are future Jacks:

Leading the way is junior point guard Shaunteva Ashley, who has started since her freshman year and led last year's team in scoring, assists and steals.

"She's a special player and our leader on the floor," said Clark of Ashley, who has drawn interest from in-state Division I schools as well as Iowa, Creighton and Drake.

"We're always going to look for 'Teva.' She's our Emily Schulte (O'Gorman) or Ashley Eide (Washington) or Tara Heiser (Watertown). We'll work the ball through her."
            Ashley is being recruited by SDSU. TV indicated Rachel Walters 6'1 Guard of Sioux Falls Washington was the best of the non-commited younger players at the AA Tournament.

Comment

With SDSU's recent success I would think we would be recruiting this girl. With the program getting national attention, we can get the interest of these types of players:

http://journalstar.com/articles/2009...7248252104.txt

Comment

Originally posted by SDHoops View Post
                With SDSU's recent success I would think we would be recruiting this girl. With the program getting national attention, we can get the interest of these types of players:

Well, if AJ is, he's probably not going about it that way.

Of the schools listed, only K-State and Wyoming, IMO, offer potentially more attractive settings---but then there's the other side of it. Is she a good fit for AJ?

One of the challenges AJ & Melum will have to face is making sure they continue to recruit the right player. Landing the cream of the crop in SD (save Ostarello) and the 2nd best player in Minnesota is all fine and well, but what happens when they end up looking at some -serious- talent, or that talent starts looking at them?

What happens if the temptation is to start fiddling with what got SDSU where it's at, in an effort to reach 'the next level'?

Comment

Good question zooropa. I'll just say that it's known that SDSU recruits a certain type of player/person that "fits" into what they do on the court, in the classroom, and as a teammate. I don't think the coaching staff will sacrifice anything to get the elite of the elite type player.

Comment

I just don't see any possible impact on the program other than good things. AJ will stick to his formula and if they continue to get more and more interest from "elite players" it is a great thing.

I can't imagine that the coaches don't take time to explain how it works at SDSU. Wark is a perfect example. An All-American that plays 27 minutes instead of nearly the entire game. If a recruit comes to SDSU they will probably play more minutes early in their career but never get to where they don't come off the floor as a senior. If a player wants the full 40 minutes then SDSU isn't a good fit.

What a recruit knows coming to SDSU is:
                    1. Academics is a very high priority and we have the grades to prove it!
                    2. The best players play no matter what the grade.
                    3. Everyone gets a chance to play meaningful minutes.
                    4. Defensive intensity from buzzer to buzzer is a must.
                    5. Our offensive style is a blast for the players
                    6. The players love playing for AJ.
                    7. Our fans love their team.
                    8. If you come to SDSU you are going to play for one of the top teams in the country and we are improving every year!

Heck, if all that doesn't work for a recruit, good luck elsewhere. AJ has a great system set up and my guess is he will keep with the same formula no matter what "talent level" is interested in coming here.

Years down the road we may very well look back at these last couple years and remember them as the best! Hopefully it continues to build but it is hard to imagine it getting a lot better. Special times!

SUPERBUNNY
                    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Of the schools listed, only K-State and Wyoming, IMO, offer potentially more attractive settings---but then there's the other side of it. Is she a good fit for AJ?

One of the challenges AJ & Melum will have to face is making sure they continue to recruit the right player. Landing the cream of the crop in SD (save Ostarello) and the 2nd best player in Minnesota is all fine and well, but what happens when they end up looking at some -serious- talent, or that talent starts looking at them?

What happens if the temptation is to start fiddling with what got SDSU where it's at, in an effort to reach 'the next level'?
                      When did we get the second best player in Minnesota?

Comment

Exactly, you get too many "stars" on a team, they don't play well as a unit, if anything was commented on by the media it was how well we played this year as a team.I like the team philosophy as opposed to the individual "star" philosophy.
                        That's not saying we can't recruit a talented individual who buys in to the team first concept, I think if we get the best players available from S.D.& pick up the best players we can from neighboring states to fill in where we need them, we'll continue to play top 25 basketball.

Comment

I guess that with a top 25 ranking and a now general consensus that the team was seriously underrated with a 7 seed in the tournament, we have been getting serious talent coming to SDSU. You don't get that without serious talent. Are their individual players on each of the final four teams that could start for SDSU? Absolutely, but I also think we have a couple of players that would get serious time for each of those teams. I am not saying the talent level can't get better, but I am not going to discount the talent we currently have in this way.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by SDHoops View Post

The article says Hooper works on the family ranch in the summer instead of playing on a traveling team. If Johnston has her on his radar (and she has SDSU on her radar) this might be a good match, for SDSU could provide a town and country atmosphere that could create a smoother college/basketball transition for a ranch kid and hopefully growing up on a ranch would have instilled the work ethic a Jackrabbit women's basketball player is expected to have...

...plus her last name is Hooper, so that means she is loaded with basketball talent right?
                            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                            - Steven Wright

Comment

When AJ did an interview before the NCAA for the webcast that was linked somewhere here he was getting some bad reception on his cell phone as he was traveling back from somewhere in Nebraska.

Wonder where that could have been.
                              "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                              -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
                                When AJ did an interview before the NCAA for the webcast that was linked somewhere here he was getting some bad reception on his cell phone as he was traveling back from somewhere in Nebraska.

Wonder where that could have been.
                                EQguy, here's your answer...Nebraska is South of South Dakota, North of Kansas and West of Iowa.

Sorry, I had to do it.

Comment

Working...
                                X