WNIT Round One: Creighton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WNIT Round One: Creighton

How does Creighton rank up to SDSU this year in similar opponents?

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
      How does Creighton rank up to SDSU this year in similar opponents?
      I hope I'm not missing any:

Creighton @ Oral Roberts 12/21/07 W 60-57
      Creighton vs. Northern Iowa 01/24/08 W 71-63
      Creighton @ Northern Iowa 02/21/08 W 69-51
      Last edited by jacks1; 03-18-2008, 02:04 PM.
      "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Jack's Schedule & Results:

http://www.gojacks.com/SportSelect.d...44&SPSID=64553

Creighton's Schedule & Results:

http://www.gocreighton.com/SportSele...70&SPSID=89395

Both teams played Oral Roberts & Northern Iowa

We beat Northern Iowa 73-63 at home and they beat them 71-63 @ home and 69-51 @ NI.

We lost to Oral Roberts 57-61 (Dec. 8th) @ ORU and beat them 88-67 at home for the last regular season game. They beat ORU 60-57 (Dec. 21st)

After looking at this, this should be a decent matchup. I really think we'll win this game, but I don't think it will be a cakewalk. It's the post-season so all games will be a grind anyways.

I think the X-factor will be our defense and how well we shoot the 3. We all know if we shoot the ball well from 3 point land we could easily chase any team out of the gym. The crowd will always be our benefit. I bet Jill really wants to play, as well.

Creighton will be setting a lot of ball screens. They don't move too much on offense either. It's more quick bursts for a kick to the 3 point line or set up for a 1 on 1 opportunity. They may press a little bit, but I think that would be to our benefit so I don't think we'll see much of it. I just hope we don't run into a good zone defense with some team down the road if we win (I don't see Creighton playing a zone). We all saw what happened when ORU played that against us and we didn't shoot well.

Comment

...we beat UNI at Frost, not Cedar Falls.

also,

SDSU vs. Southern Ill. @ Wash D.C. W 62-53
          Creighton @ Southern Ill. L 74-75
          Creighton vs Southern Ill. W 62-59
          Last edited by jacks1; 03-18-2008, 04:51 PM.
          "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Just wanted to point out a little something... if you look at the bracket all the 1st round bye teams have sealed a home game for themselves on the sdsu side of the bracket except for one team... marquette... i wonder why that is? haha

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post

I'd bet $$ that AJ would tell you that the Northern Iowa game was the worst HOME game he's seen one of his teams play since transitioning to D-1.
              It was definitely one of the worst I've personally seen.

Go Jacks!!
              SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Guess who our last home loss was to...Marquette on 12/31/06 63-80. We just as well avenge that loss while we're at it!

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                  We are into a two step process that will potentially have Jacks at home all the way.

1) Win the next game:
                  2) Outbid our next opponent to host.

Last year, we successfully did that for two games. Then, the larger arena of Wyoming, and the Cowgirls commitment of 10K attendence trumped our 6.5K capacity. It was a $$ issue for Triple (Team?) Sports. WE MADE VIRTUALLY NO PROFIT FOR THE WNIT GAMES LAST YEAR, because it all went to our bid. SCHOOLS CAN TAKE A LOSS IF THEY WISH TO SUBSIDIZE THE HOME GAME. WE COULD HAVE COMMITTED TO A HIGHER BID LAST YEAR, but it would have taken $$$ out of our pocket. We were #2 in attendence through the first 3 rounds last year. Unfortunately, Wyoming was #1.

If we play Ill, Wis-GB and they bid based on a 8K paid attendence, and we bid 6.5 K attendence, that game will be there. If they bid only 5K attendence, and we bid 6.5 K, then we get another FROSTy treat.
                  We made $17,000 for the two games according to Terry's article last year. I would hardly call that no profit.

Comment

Originally posted by tlk23 View Post
                    We made $17,000 for the two games according to Terry's article last year. I would hardly call that no profit.
                    SDSU's WNIT profit: $17,000
                    Take from tourney less than one regular-season game

By Terry Vandrovec
                    tvandrovec@argusleader.com
                    Published: April 24, 2007

Perhaps the payout will come in the form of increased ticket sales for the 2007-08 season, because South Dakota State University didn't get rich off its first NCAA Division I postseason run.

According to associate athletic director Rob Peterson, the school made a profit of roughly $17,000 from ticket sales for two sold-out WNIT games at Frost Arena after covering expenses and paying out the bids and profit shares promised to tournament organizer Triple Crown Sports.

That's roughly $3,000 less than the take from a typical regular-season home game - even though ticket prices were higher for the postseason. And it's just a drop in the bucket of SDSU's overall athletic budget, reported as $7.5 million in 2005-06.

"If we make $1 or we make $100,000 it makes no difference," Peterson said. "It was the opportunity for our fans to see the game, our girls to play at home."

The Jackrabbits went 2-0 in those home games, playing in front of crowds of 5,719 and 6,053, breaking the school record for a women's-only attendance twice in one week and pushing the season average to a school record 2,753 - just outside the top 40 in Division I.

Less than for a regular season single home game for two games where we stuffed Frost, to fire code violation standards. That was not a direct money-maker. Publicity - THAT WAS THE BIG WINNINGS for WNIT run last year.
                    Last edited by rabidrabbit; 03-18-2008, 02:37 PM. Reason: clarify article from my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                      I seem to remember talk like that but from my understanding it is all about the Benjamins baby!
                      I think that's right. Triple Crown couldn't care less whether we fill up Frost. What does that do for their organization? Nothing. They want the money.

Regarding Marquette, I believe their home gym seats about 4,000. That doesn't mean their administration might not be willing to give away the entire gate and throw in some more cash to get a home game. But at least we have a larger gate to bid with.

First, though, we need to beat Creighton.
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post

also,

SDSU vs. Southern Ill. @ Wash D.C. W 62-53
                        UNI @ Southern Ill. L 74-75
                        UNI vs Southern Ill. W 62-59
                        Were these the correct scores of Creighton vs. SIU and just labeled UNI instead of Creighton? Or is this UNI vs SIU info?

Comment

Has anybody heard how GA ticket sales have been going this afternoon? I just placed a hypothetical order for ten GA tickets and had no hold-ups, so there are at least that many left.

How fast did last years two games sell out, I thought it was the first afternoon?
                          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Picked up a couple this afternoon at the union, not much of a line then. From what I remember last year, the first game last year took a couple days to sell out. It was the second home game last year that sold everything in like 3 hours something like that.

Comment

Did any other people who bought mini ticket packs get screwed over also on the number of tickets you can recieve for sitting in the reserved blue seats? we bought 4 mini ticket packs and they are only allowing us to have 2 blue reserved seats and 2 GA. needless to say I am not pleased and I had my order in before the deadline. So apparently buying season packs still are not good enough to get reserved seats for tourny games. I will still be there and cheering as usual but with 2 seats with poor sight lines and less room. Oh well, im guessing other people got shorted also. Rant over.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Lets hope that Marquette doesnt decide to go to the arena where the men play and also the Bucks play (not Yankton but Milwaukee.) The Bucks play at Miami that night. If they do try and host I saw the tickets at $8 reserved and $5 general ad at the Mcquire Center.

Comment

Working...
                                X