WNIT Round One: Creighton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WNIT Round One: Creighton

The Bluejays come to Frost on Thursday night for the first game between the schools since 1984. Creighton is best known to Jackrabbit fans for its men's basketball program and for being Jill Young's original choice to play college hoops before transferring up to SDSU in the fall.

Info on our opponent:
    http://www.gocreighton.com/SportSele...70&SPSID=89391

Re: WNIT Round One: Creighton

Omaha Weird Herald (sorry, World Herald) coverage of the announcement:

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pag...u_sid=10286376

Yes, I already emailed them to explain that we're the Jackrabbits, not the Jack Rabbits. While we're at it, somebody should explain to Thorstensen at KSFY that our coach's name is Aaron Johnston, with a t, and our women's basketball team is NOT called the Lady Jacks. Ugh.

What has happened to accuracy as a basic value of journalism?
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
      What has happened to accuracy as a basic value of journalism?
      It went out the door with the invent of the Live Blog

Comment

I was in the middle of being a little surprised that the 'Rabbits didn't get a first round bye in this tournament. But then I realized that since this tournament is purely a business venture, the fact that SDSU was able to put in a sizeable bid probably made SDSU a lock to play a first round game. In other words this tournament couldn't afford for SDSU not to play in the first round.
        The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by JackrabbitGuy View Post
          I was in the middle of being a little surprised that the 'Rabbits didn't get a first round bye in this tournament. But then I realized that since this tournament is purely a business venture, the fact that SDSU was able to put in a sizeable bid probably made SDSU a lock to play a first round game. In other words this tournament couldn't afford for SDSU not to play in the first round.
          When I look at the brackets, I wouldn't be surprised if 1 home game is all we get. We're not a secret anymore. There are some teams that do not want to come to Brookings to play the Jacks. I would love to play every round at Frost, but I've got a feeling that may not happen.

Comment

...a little off topic, but current home court winning streaks:

Hartford 26
            Old Dominion 24
            SDSU 22

Creighton looks to become the next victim of Frost Bite!
            "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Will the game be televised or webcast?

Comment

Originally posted by SFJACK View Post
                Will the game be televised or webcast?
                Courtesy of NorCalJack:

Here is the site where you can view the games on-line for free.

http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.d...ATCLID=1412011

It looks like the SummitTV is hosting the web-cast. It is free, I just hope it works correctly.

Enjoy the game.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                  While we're at it, somebody should explain to Thorstensen at KSFY that our coach's name is Aaron Johnston, with a t, and our women's basketball team is NOT called the Lady Jacks. Ugh.
                  You mean Thorsensen?

Hahaha....I couldn't resist.
                  "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
                    When I look at the brackets, I wouldn't be surprised if 1 home game is all we get. We're not a secret anymore. There are some teams that do not want to come to Brookings to play the Jacks. I would love to play every round at Frost, but I've got a feeling that may not happen.
                    We are into a two step process that will potentially have Jacks at home all the way.

1) Win the next game:
                    2) Outbid our next opponent to host.

Last year, we successfully did that for two games. Then, the larger arena of Wyoming, and the Cowgirls commitment of 10K attendence trumped our 6.5K capacity. It was a $$ issue for Triple (Team?) Sports. WE MADE VIRTUALLY NO PROFIT FOR THE WNIT GAMES LAST YEAR, because it all went to our bid. SCHOOLS CAN TAKE A LOSS IF THEY WISH TO SUBSIDIZE THE HOME GAME. WE COULD HAVE COMMITTED TO A HIGHER BID LAST YEAR, but it would have taken $$$ out of our pocket. We were #2 in attendence through the first 3 rounds last year. Unfortunately, Wyoming was #1.

If we play Ill, Wis-GB and they bid based on a 8K paid attendence, and we bid 6.5 K attendence, that game will be there. If they bid only 5K attendence, and we bid 6.5 K, then we get another FROSTy treat.

Comment

This got me to thinking, does the tournament care where the game is hosted? I realize it doesn't now exist, but if Sioux Falls had the new events center that has been discussed that would hold 10,000 or more people, could SDSU work something out with the center and bid to host a game at such a location off campus?

Just wondering if anyone knows if such a thing would be possible one day if Sioux Falls ever goes forward with such a building?
                      The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post

Understood. But the "teams" don't get to decide, unless you consider the possibility of the athletic administration of a larger school taking a chance on placing a higher bid in an effort to keep their team at home. The tournament mangement is going to focus on the higher bid, since they are mostly interested in trying to turn a profit for their private tournament.
                        Last edited by JackrabbitGuy; 03-18-2008, 12:44 PM. Reason: bad spelling

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                          We are into a two step process that will potentially have Jacks at home all the way.

1) Win the next game:
                          2) Outbid our next opponent to host.

Last year, we successfully did that for two games. Then, the larger arena of Wyoming, and the Cowgirls commitment of 10K attendence trumped our 6.5K capacity. It was a $$ issue for Triple (Team?) Sports. WE MADE VIRTUALLY NO PROFIT FOR THE WNIT GAMES LAST YEAR, because it all went to our bid. SCHOOLS CAN TAKE A LOSS IF THEY WISH TO SUBSIDIZE THE HOME GAME. WE COULD HAVE COMMITTED TO A HIGHER BID LAST YEAR, but it would have taken $$$ out of our pocket. We were #2 in attendence through the first 3 rounds last year. Unfortunately, Wyoming was #1.

If we play Ill, Wis-GB and they bid based on a 8K paid attendence, and we bid 6.5 K attendence, that game will be there. If they bid only 5K attendence, and we bid 6.5 K, then we get another FROSTy treat.
                          For some reason I remember last year it being said that a school couldn't put an astronomically large bid in just to host. They had to be bringing in the fans also. Does anyone else remember this?

If this is the case they would have to bid based on attendance and not just use their big budgets.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                            For some reason I remember last year it being said that a school couldn't put an astronomically large bid in just to host. They had to be bringing in the fans also. Does anyone else remember this?

If this is the case they would have to bid based on attendance and not just use their big budgets.
                            I hope you're right! In my previous posts I've expressed concern over losing out to schools subsidizing from other sports revenue. If it is based on attendence, I think we're in a good bracket.
                            "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

I seem to remember talk like that but from my understanding it is all about the Benjamins baby! The thing that I think is in our favor is that our administration will be aggressive about putting a bid in to host the games. As a matter of fact, i think that may already be evident in the brackets.

If you notice that some of the second round game locations have already been determined. What that says is that the team that received the bye put in a larger bid than the teams that play the first round game. In a section that the site is listed as TBD means that the largest bid came from one or both of the teams that are playing the first round game. All strictly conjecture on my part but it would make sense.

Using that logic, it would stand that SDSU would host round 2 if we win the first game. There could sure be a lot of other factors that would go into it but hopefully I'm right.

I'll tell you one thing, I'm either on something or on to something!

Go Jacks!

SUPERBUNNY
                              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X