Women's NIT 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Women's NIT 2008

fwiw-- Saw the last half of one and the first half of the other MVC quarterfinal in St. Charles yesterday. Copped free tickets but two 5-8 year old grand children and a daughter faced with a drive to Cape Girardeau made me walk out on my freebie tickets at about 10 p.m.

Evansville and Drake were definitely the class of that foursome. Indiana State was passable but even though they were hanging with Drake when I left you could see they were much less talented (can anybody tell me what the Sycamores mascot is-- some kind of squirrel?-- I guess it's better than dressing like a tree. The Purple Aces mascot looks like a pimp). UNI was a pretty horrible looking team all around. I may try to get back to the final. I suspect Illinois State is the class, but the Evansville Drake winner may give them some grief.

Not much of a turnout. Think the SC Family Arena holds about 10,000 and we were about the only people in the end general admission seats. No one in the upper deck.

Comment

Just watch Montana beat Montana State 101-65. The attendance....5,016 so I would guess even if Montana would have been in the WNIT they couldn't have gotten a game away from us. Especially if they can't get any more than that for a match up with their rival.

So in out of the Big Sky conference is Idaho State I believe.

Comment

The latest from the WNIT on automatic qualifiers as of Sunday morning with the RPI from the NCAA site as of Monday 3/10/08.
        New to the list are- Boise St-81, North Carolina A&T-92, Idaho St-97, Texas St-143, UC Davis-147, Prairie View A&T-154. SDSU is in at 75 with Western Carolina in at 73.

Comment

Add Dartmouth rpi 227

Comment

Just got back from watching Illinois State put away Drake 70-62. Drake stayed with 'em the first half. Neither team seems to have the depth of SDSU. Drake's two top scorers Jill Martin and Lindsay Whorton were both out there for 39 minutes. Christi Cerone can put 'em up for the Redbirds, who, for the second half at least were clearly the better team.

Don't have a lot of experience watching women's basketball but would expect Drake and maybe Evansville to make the NIT.

Fairly good fan turnout for the finalists and a few fans hung around from the earlier eliminated teams. The upper deck remained closed and I counted fewer than 100 people with me in the cheap (free in my case) general admission seats.

Comment

Bracketology on ESPN has UW-Green Bay as one of the last 4 teams out. They got beat handily (20+ points) in the semi finals of the Horizon League tournament. It would be an interesting match-up as there is a chance we would have to travel to their house based on attendance. I'm sure AJ is dreading that scenario.

Women's Braketology

Comment

Selection Monday has arrived.

Comment

2008 Postseason
                  WNIT Teams

a = Automatic Qualifier
                  a-American (Patriot)
                  a-Arkansas Little Rock (Sun Belt)
                  a-Boise State (WAC)
                  a-Dartmouth (Ivy)
                  a-Evansville (Missouri Valley)
                  a-Florida Gulf Coast (Atlantic Sun)
                  a-Idaho State (Big Sky)
                  a-Iona (Metro Atlantic)
                  a-North Carolina A&T (MEAC)
                  a-Quinnipiac (Northeast)
                  a-Prairie View A&M (SWAC)
                  a-Radford (Big South)
                  a-South Dakota St. (Summit)
                  a-Southeast Missouri (Ohio Valley)
                  a-Texas State (Southland)
                  a-UC Davis (Big West)
                  a-Vermont (America East)
                  a-Western Carolina (Southern)

Based on Vaporia, Jacks (71) will be the 21st rated team in the WNIT, so likely to play in the first round.

Lowest Rated team to the WNIT is likely to be FL St (48). If none of the 17 At-large selections decline invite, highest at large will be 82 VA Tech

Look for Creighton, Drake, SEMO, Indiana, Mich to be our first game.

Comment

OK, here's what I've got for WNIT bracketology, using the Vaporia composite rankings:

I have SDSU as the overall 22nd seed in the WNIT, meaning no first-round bye.

According to strict ranking (without regard to geography) here's how it breaks out:

Region 1
                    First round byes: Florida State, Temple, Gonzaga, Boston College

First round games:
                    Dartmouth at Texas Tech, winner to Boston College
                    Radford at Southern Cal, winner to Gonzaga
                    Idaho State at Villanova, winner to Temple
                    Arkansas-Little Rock at Virginia Tech, winner to Florida State

Region 2
                    First round byes: TCU, Kansas, Indiana, Middle Tennessee St.

First round games:
                    American at Florida, winner to Middle Tennessee St.
                    Southern Miss at Bowling Green, winner to Indiana
                    UC Davis at South Florida, winner to Kansas
                    Boise St. at Evansville, winner to TCU

Region 3
                    First round byes: Wisconsin-Green Bay, Michigan, James Madison, Colorado

First round games:
                    Prairie View at Dayton, winner to Colorado
                    Iona at South Dakota State, winner to James Madison
                    SE Missouri at Creighton, winner to Michigan
                    North Carolina A&T at UCLA, winner to Wisconsin-Green Bay

Region 4
                    First round byes: Wisconsin, Kentucky, Marquette, St. John's

First round games:
                    Texas State at VCU, winner to St. John's
                    Florida Gulf Coast at Drake, winner to Marquette
                    Quinnipiac at Western Carolina, winner to Kentucky
                    Vermont at Georgetown, winner to Wisconsin

Can't wait for the games to begin, and can't wait for next year when we will (with luck) be doing this for where SDSU will land in the NCAA tournamnent!
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Oh silly me . . . the women don't play the play-in game like the guys do.

That will put my analysis pretty much in agreement with rabidrabbit's. One thing for certain is that while most of the teams in my bracket will be in the WNIT, they will not be (for the most part) playing the teams I've got listed. It's that geography thing and that bid-hosting-$$$ thing, you know.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                        OK, here's what I've got for WNIT bracketology, using the Vaporia composite rankings:

I have SDSU as the overall 22nd seed in the WNIT, meaning no first-round bye.

According to strict ranking (without regard to geography) here's how it breaks out:

Region 1
                        First round byes: Florida State, Temple, Gonzaga, Boston College

First round games:
                        Dartmouth at Texas Tech, winner to Boston College
                        Radford at Southern Cal, winner to Gonzaga
                        Idaho State at Villanova, winner to Temple
                        Arkansas-Little Rock at Virginia Tech, winner to Florida State

Region 2
                        First round byes: TCU, Kansas, Indiana, Middle Tennessee St.

First round games:
                        American at Florida, winner to Middle Tennessee St.
                        Southern Miss at Bowling Green, winner to Indiana
                        UC Davis at South Florida, winner to Kansas
                        Boise St. at Evansville, winner to TCU

Region 3
                        First round byes: Wisconsin-Green Bay, Michigan, James Madison, Colorado

First round games:
                        Prairie View at Dayton, winner to Colorado
                        Iona at South Dakota State, winner to James Madison
                        SE Missouri at Creighton, winner to Michigan
                        North Carolina A&T at UCLA, winner to Wisconsin-Green Bay

Region 4
                        First round byes: Wisconsin, Kentucky, Marquette, St. John's

First round games:
                        Texas State at VCU, winner to St. John's
                        Florida Gulf Coast at Drake, winner to Marquette
                        Quinnipiac at Western Carolina, winner to Kentucky
                        Vermont at Georgetown, winner to Wisconsin

Can't wait for the games to begin, and can't wait for next year when we will (with luck) be doing this for where SDSU will land in the NCAA tournamnent!
                        Too bad it doesn't work like that in real life. It would make the selection process a whole lot easier.

Terry's latest blog http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...rgusleader.com

I've recently fallen into the habif of saying, "I'm doing my best," whenever my wife or daughter begin to sweat my effort in a stressful situation. It drives my wife nuts. Along those lines, this is not a prediction so much as another example of me doing my best to determine where SDSU will land in the WNIT bracket, set to be released Monday night. No inside information here, just pure effort. Barring a ridiculous number of curveballs from the NCAA selection committee, the Jacks will be smack dab in the middle of the 48-team WNIT field in terms of composite ranking. (They're higher in some polls and lower in others, so I'm sticking with the composite system.) They're also likely to be in the top third in terms of average attendance and will draw maybe three times that number if chosen to host. The folks that collect money, er, run the WNIT know this. That said, don't be surprised to see Creighton at SDSU in the first round. It makes sense in terms of travel, ranking (No. 72 vs. No. 77) and attendance as the Jacks average more than twice as many fans as the Blue Jays. Many of the other "regional" teams (Wisconsin, Kansas, Michigan) will probably get first-round byes, while the ones that won't (Evansville, Boise State, Southeast Missouri State) are considerably closer to other potential hosts (Drake, Colorado, Bowling Green). Do you agree? Disagree? Only 12 more hours to speculate.

Comment

I was just thinking back to last year at this time. Man, was this board hopping. I'm looking forward to later tonight when this board gets a hummin' again!
                          "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs..../80310069/1075

Even a one-year newbie gets in the act.

Amazing how a conference and a solid D-II resume can be twisted into success.

Note that SDSU hosting last year is a portion of their hopes of hosting.

Comment

NO SSSSOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE in 2008

http://www.katv.com/news/stories/0308/503966.html

No Arkansas Razorbacks in WNIT.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                                I was just thinking back to last year at this time. Man, was this board hopping. I'm looking forward to later tonight when this board gets a hummin' again!
                                What time are thry releasing the brackets? Is it 11:00? Is TV going to be blogging?

Comment

Working...
                                X