Women's NIT 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Women's NIT 2008

The game a couple of weeks ago would have sold out had the students been in town.

If you are in one of the power conferences I can see where the WNIT or NIT would be a dissappointment but for a school like SDSU in a small market and a mid-major conference it is still a big deal. Sell out? I don't know but great crowds for sure. It's a big deal for us to play in a tournament with the likes of the big name schools that are in the WNIT.

Obviously, we have high hopes for our team to make the NCAA Tournament next year and it would be a disappointment if that doesn't happen but if you have a WNIT game at home in Frost Arena then there will be a big, noisy crowd.

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Wyoming has been playing DI alot longer than we have and they seemed to have great crowds for the WNIT last season. Its all about the market and the fan base and we have a great fan base for women's basketball at SDSU.

That may not mean a sell-out every time we make the WNIT, but I think we'd draw 4k+ for it every year.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
        Wyoming has been playing DI alot longer than we have and they seemed to have great crowds for the WNIT last season. Its all about the market and the fan base and we have a great fan base for women's basketball at SDSU.

That may not mean a sell-out every time we make the WNIT, but I think we'd draw 4k+ for it every year.
        I believe that last year's WNIT title was Wyoming's first National title in any sport NOT ASSOCIATED WITH Horsing around (Rodeo, Equestrian, etc). Therefore, like the Jacks, winning it, at home, drew GREAT crowds.

BTW, while a NCAA BB Tourney bid is FABULOUS, for local watchers, WNIT is going to give the best possible games locally. Jacks will be VERY surprised if outbid for a 1st or 2nd round game.

Comment

Michigan State will host Marquette Saturday afternoon in the WNIT championship game.

Comment

[QUOTE=1stRowFANatic;81131]However, I think that three - five years down the road, SFSD is dead on. The WNIT will be considered, by the fans, as the result of a bad season or the team choking at the end of the year.

Sorry, but I can't agree with that viewpoint. I think it will be a long, long time before our fans might not relish the chance to see games in Frost, post-season, and have the chance to beat a Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska, Michigan, Michigan State, USC, Indiana, Kentucky and like Big 10, Big 12 and like teams who might be in the WNIT in any given year.

And while we have great expectations that our program is capable of winning the Summit tournament, a championship in the tournament is not an absolute...things happen...such as injuries, a bad game, etc. that means a team is on the outside looking in and generally unlikely to get an at-large bid.

Certainly our goal will be to make the Big Dance every year, and our secondary goal will be to have a good enough season to get a higher seed, and escape that 1-16 matchup. But if we don't make it and get to host WNIT games, I believe we will have great fan support...period.

Comment

[quote=Jacks#1Fan;81246]
              Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
              However, I think that three - five years down the road, SFSD is dead on. The WNIT will be considered, by the fans, as the result of a bad season or the team choking at the end of the year.

Sorry, but I can't agree with that viewpoint. I think it will be a long, long time before our fans might not relish the chance to see games in Frost, post-season, and have the chance to beat a Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska, Michigan, Michigan State, USC, Indiana, Kentucky and like Big 10, Big 12 and like teams who might be in the WNIT in any given year.

And while we have great expectations that our program is capable of winning the Summit tournament, a championship in the tournament is not an absolute...things happen...such as injuries, a bad game, etc. that means a team is on the outside looking in and generally unlikely to get an at-large bid.

Certainly our goal will be to make the Big Dance every year, and our secondary goal will be to have a good enough season to get a higher seed, and escape that 1-16 matchup. But if we don't make it and get to host WNIT games, I believe we will have great fan support...period.
              I have to totally agree...we aren't going to have many opportunities to host post-season games in Frost from here on out. Future WNIT games will be well attended.

Comment

[quote=BTownJack;81248]
                Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                I have to totally agree...we aren't going to have many opportunities to host post-season games in Frost from here on out. Future WNIT games will be well attended.
                You can amend that to "We will have NO opportunities to host post-season games except the WNIT." That's life in D-I.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I hope you guys are correct, however just look at attendance this year compared to last year. Sold out in minutes last year, not a sell out this year. Does that mean that this year's game was not well supported, of course not. However it does indicate that as time goes by, and I think after appearing in a couple NCAA's, the appeal of the WNIT will be less than it was. But that does not mean I think 500 people will show up.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                    I hope you guys are correct, however just look at attendance this year compared to last year. Sold out in minutes last year, not a sell out this year. Does that mean that this year's game was not well supported, of course not. However it does indicate that as time goes by, and I think after appearing in a couple NCAA's, the appeal of the WNIT will be less than it was. But that does not mean I think 500 people will show up.

Last year's first round game didn't sell out in minutes, the second round game did (and that took about 3 hours). The first round game last year took close to 3 days, and even then there were still a few tickets left (case in point, attendance numbers; ~5700 first round game, ~6000 second round game).

Not to mention, spring break killed the ticket rush this year for students. Throw the game in the middle of the week with some inclement weather (last year the first round game was on a Saturday night with nice weather). I can understand a drop off of a 1000 from last year's first round game.

Comment

Amen.

Comment

The bonus of the WNIT tourney is that we have not won it "yet" and until then it's still something to attain. Maybe after 2 or 3 titles it may not have the stigma anymore. But let's get them 1st. Besides, it would only help the argument of an at large bid the following year.

As for the NCAA, the caliber of teams, larger field, neutral sites and seeding, I think SDSU will be a very big cinderella and fans will not be "expecting" many wins in that right away let alone knocking off Tenn or any other power off for the title.

Comment

Working...
                        X