GDT: USD vs SDSU Showdown Series 1pm Frost Arena/Midco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post

In case you missed it. Former USD Quarterback Scott Jones was rooting for the Jacks. https://www.dakotanewsnow.com/2023/0...-pregame-show/
    I didn't miss it, and I'll admit Mr. Jones is a better man than I.

As we sit now, part of me thinks the only way I'd root for 'Yotes is if they were to play NDSU, while the other part thinks I'd just hope the field swallows them both up and spits them (USD & Bison) out unharmed in their home hellscapes

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

Don’t know today. Is there any advantage for SDSU either way?
      Your question gets to the heart of my 'Yote-support calculus. If it benefits the Jacks in the conference/league standings, I'll strategically swallow pride and root for whatever team's win "helps" the Jacks.

In this case, I'd latch on to the classic "is it good for the FCS," and say that it would be "better" if a Patriot League team won rather than another Valley team

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

Oh, and last year USD had three starters average 31.5 minutes a game or higher. And Sjerven averaged 27, only because she likely spent more time sitting because of foul trouble. This year, Myah is averaging just under 29 for us, Dru is at 20 and the other 3 starters average either side of 25. And as good as the Yotes were a year ago, I'm sure they had as many, if not more blowouts than the Jacks have had.
        Gylten and Meyer still recovering from injury and/or getting game reps is also likely a factor.

Plus even Jacks' reserves, particularly Vlastuin, were hitting treys in Q4, so it wasn't like starters were pouring on the coals. Lastly, I'd be interested in how those disparaging AJ and Selland would respond when looking at the 'Yote lineup late in the game during the 2020 travesty.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

Gylten and Meyer still recovering from injury and/or getting game reps is also likely a factor.

Plus even Jacks' reserves, particularly Vlastuin, were hitting treys in Q4, so it wasn't like starters were pouring on the coals. Lastly, I'd be interested in how those disparaging AJ and Selland would respond when looking at the 'Yote lineup late in the game during the 2020 travesty.
          Well for one thing, Myah did not play in that game or any game vs usd in the 19-20 season. she also missed the SLT game in the spring 21 season, after dominating usd in the regular season.

usd has had some injuries. and the current team has a number of players who could contrubute something who are injured

but they have never had players like macy and myah miss so many important games.

Comment

Hypothetical question -- USD is playing Holy Cross for the FCS National Championship, would you root for the 'Yotes?
            i often cheer for ndsu when they do not play the jacks

i have never and do never cheer for usd

whatever level, HS, college, professional, i cheer for players and teams that i respect and do not cheer for those that i do not.

Comment

The idea that someone has hurt feelings over a blowout is a bit funny. Geno Auriemma had a line attributed to him that responded that you need to get better if the margin was too large. I believe that most fans for the yotes understand the need to improve to avoid these moments. Coach Karius was having some difficulties coming to grips during the postgame interview and then she indicated that it was a learning experience for her and the team. Those who taunt Myah as an older senior may have lost the memory of Seekamp extending her eligibility or even their own super seniors from last year. We can hope that the Jackrabbits remain injury free as the 2 point guards continue to make the Jackrabbits great again. It was entertaining as the shooting was "splashing" shots at an accelerated rate. It will not be surprising to have more games where the starting players are playing games at a high level.
              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

i often cheer for ndsu when they do not play the jacks

i have never and do never cheer for usd

whatever level, HS, college, professional, i cheer for players and teams that i respect and do not cheer for those that i do not.
                I hold my nose and tacitly favor NDSU wins vs. the 'Yotes or ORU if/when it helps Jacks gain ground in the non-FB standings.

Conversely, I've done the same with 'Yotes versus Bison in FB. Fortunately, this season it wasn't necessary, and the Salukis replaced the Bison as the team I had to strategically root against.

I won't get started on next season's FB schedule, as both the Bison and 'Yotes are slated to play Racers, while the Jacks still play the traditional "Valley slate"

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                  The idea that someone has hurt feelings over a blowout is a bit funny. Geno Auriemma had a line attributed to him that responded that you need to get better if the margin was too large. I believe that most fans for the yotes understand the need to improve to avoid these moments. Coach Karius was having some difficulties coming to grips during the postgame interview and then she indicated that it was a learning experience for her and the team. Those who taunt Myah as an older senior may have lost the memory of Seekamp extending her eligibility or even their own super seniors from last year. We can hope that the Jackrabbits remain injury free as the 2 point guards continue to make the Jackrabbits great again. It was entertaining as the shooting was "splashing" shots at an accelerated rate. It will not be surprising to have more games where the starting players are playing games at a high level.
                  I found her inability/unwillingness to refer to Jacks as "Jacks/SDSU/State," etc. instead opting for "opponent" mildly entertaining and wonder if that was deliberate. Maybe she reads/gets reports on social media/forum posts, because she focused on youth and roster limitations (e.g., being undersized) multiple times

Comment

I read a lot of crocodile tears from “the opponent” fan base about us playing our starters so much. Simple Math shows that our starters played 4 minutes TOTAL more than theirs. That’s less than a minute more for the starting five. I realize their bench was not as deep as ours but boo-fricking-hoo. Recruit better.

Comment

I watched the 4 min. 28 sec. game highlights again on gojacks.com. What's up with all foul calls down in the low post? The highlights show four "and 1" plays for the Jacks (Selland at 0:48, Timmer at 1:01, Burckhard at 1:46 and Theisen at 1:59). In all four plays a foul was called......and in all four plays I'd question if there enough (or any) contact to justify the foul call. And I've noticed these calls throughout the year, both for and against us. I know if a shot blocker's hands/arms bend from vertical, and they make contact it's an automatic foul....but some of these calls seems ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Route 12 Jack View Post
                        I watched the 4 min. 28 sec. game highlights again on gojacks.com. What's up with all foul calls down in the low post? The highlights show four "and 1" plays for the Jacks (Selland at 0:48, Timmer at 1:01, Burckhard at 1:46 and Theisen at 1:59). In all four plays a foul was called......and in all four plays I'd question if there enough (or any) contact to justify the foul call. And I've noticed these calls throughout the year, both for and against us. I know if a shot blocker's hands/arms bend from vertical, and they make contact it's an automatic foul....but some of these calls seems ridiculous.
                        Agree, there are a certain amount of calls that don't affect play (automatic} that don't need to be called, but if they are consistent, players must make adjustments, which is play minimal defense, which does go counter to team objectives as far as playing defense goes. It's the nature of the beast I suppose. As ref's gain experience, I think they get better at making these types of calls, hopefully, but not necessarily so.

Comment

Hypothetical question -- USD is playing Holy Cross for the FCS National Championship, would you root for the 'Yotes?
                          I've lived well over half of my 70 years here in the Gateway to the Dakotas, that is to say Minnesota, but I will always be from South Dakota. Since there isn't any great advantage to a Holy Cross win, I would cheer for the MVFC team from South Dakota. I can't imagine ever cheering for NDSU in that game. I live among a great many band wagon bizun fans and get rather weary of some of their braggadocio. I don't want the bizun to be sick or injured, but I want them to be beaten, intimidated, and bullied by pretty much anybody they play. They probably weren't intimidated in Frisco, but I can live with soundly beaten.
                          An ardent supporter of the hometown team should go to a game prepared to take offense, no matter what happens.Robert Benchley
                          US actor, author, & humorist (1889 - 1945)

Comment

Originally posted by Walrus View Post
                            I've lived well over half of my 70 years here in the Gateway to the Dakotas, that is to say Minnesota, but I will always be from South Dakota. Since there isn't any great advantage to a Holy Cross win, I would cheer for the MVFC team from South Dakota. I can't imagine ever cheering for NDSU in that game. I live among a great many band wagon bizun fans and get rather weary of some of their braggadocio. I don't want the bizun to be sick or injured, but I want them to be beaten, intimidated, and bullied by pretty much anybody they play. They probably weren't intimidated in Frisco, but I can live with soundly beaten.
                            I'm a fan of FCS sustainability, so I think I'd rationalize supporting a non-Valley team by saying that if the Jacks can't win it, having another conference win the occasional championship could increase fan interest and investment in FCS football.

Moreover, it could decrease the likelihood that the committee would feel the need to set the bracket such that Valley teams eliminate conference rivals before the championship.

Comment

I found her inability/unwillingness to refer to Jacks as "Jacks/SDSU/State," etc. instead opting for "opponent" mildly entertaining and wonder if that was deliberate. Maybe she reads/gets reports on social media/forum posts, because she focused on youth and roster limitations (e.g., being undersized) multiple times
                              This seems like the definition of living rent free in somebody's head.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

This seems like the definition of living rent free in somebody's head.
                                Maybe someone can explain that whole concept to me over a bowl of SDSU ice cream.

Half the time I see it mentioned, it's when a person is responding to a topic raised that pertains to the purported cranial squatter.

Comment

Working...
                                X