GDT: USD vs SDSU Showdown Series 1pm Frost Arena/Midco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

Maybe someone can explain that whole concept to me over a bowl of SDSU ice cream.

Half the time I see it mentioned, it's when a person is responding to a topic raised that pertains to the purported cranial squatter.
    Trying so hard to show that you aren't intimidated by something, that you show that you actually are intimidated by that thing.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

Trying so hard to show that you aren't intimidated by something, that you show that you actually are intimidated by that thing.
      Yeah, I guess I was influenced by Bison fans saying it about Kraft and Sanders doing "horns down" after the MSU game. It'd be one thing if no one had mentioned the Bison, but that wasn't the case.

In Karius' case, I'd be very curious if Dawn P is living rent free in the former's noggin given roster composition

Comment

How do we slow #21 Larkin down? Zone or man to man. It seems her go to play is to beat her defender the right and have a clear lane to the basket. Secondary defenders are either late sliding over or just letting her go. She has that move down to perfection!

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
          How do we slow #21 Larkin down? Zone or man to man. It seems her go to play is to beat her defender the right and have a clear lane to the basket. Secondary defenders are either late sliding over or just letting her go. She has that move down to perfection!
          In the first game this year she was 3 of 10 from the field with ten points, 2 assists, ONE rebound, and 4 TOs

she is a good player and minus Myah, she would have a solid shot at being POY. she has better stats than Myah as it is. So she could definitely have a good game, she is obviously not easy to stop, but also obviously, the jacks have given her some trouble once already this year. foul trouble definitely had something to do with that but she also did not play very well when she was on the floor and i believe the jacks deserve at least some of the credit for that

i do think part of the plan was putting pressure on her when she was playing defense, and i think that was effective. i think the other thing was generally guarding her with someone bigger. as i recall, Tori guarded her most of the time that the two of them were on the floor at the same time

also while other teams may be late in helping, the jacks have been excellent defensively almost all year and continue to get better. they help very well

to the man / zone thing, the women play zone a little more often than the men but it is still something they use as a change. they will use it after a timeout or in case of foul trouble or to try to change the rhythm of a game. Not only this year but through all of the last, at least 50 years, both WBB and MBB do not play zone defense on any type of a regular basis, minus a chunk of TJ first year

Comment

The good offensive games that USD have seem to be when they hit a large number of 3's. So play good man defense and keep the other 4 players from getting open shots. The Jacks are deep enough to rotate fresh players on Larkin and make her work really hard to get her shots. And on offense, work inside and get their bigs in foul trouble, where they are not very deep.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

The good offensive games that USD have seem to be when they hit a large number of 3's. So play good man defense and keep the other 4 players from getting open shots. The Jacks are deep enough to rotate fresh players on Larkin and make her work really hard to get her shots. And on offense, work inside and get their bigs in foul trouble, where they are not very deep.

completely agree with you that we will want to go inside. i am pretty sure we tried to post Larkin up in the first game and had some success with it. and obviously getting to the line is part of the jackrabbit philosophy. we actually shot pretty well from the line the last two games also)) that was nice to see

that said, i admit i may be traumatized by watching DPs teams get away with assault and rape for the last several years, but i still have doubts that this game in vermillion will be well officiated. i hope i am wrong!! and this version of usd is not talented enough to get the "benefit of the doubt" calls that talented teams in the past have gotten, but i am still expecting part of their plan to be, get very VERY physical with the jacks and hope that the refs wont want to blow their whistle every trip to their defensive end of the floor. unfortunately i feel like they could have some success with that strategy at home this weekend

Comment

Could we possibly be trying to come up with a reason this game could be a problem? We play terrible is the only way we lose. I'm not the least bit concerned about any player they have. We play well and it's game over.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post

Could we possibly be trying to come up with a reason this game could be a problem? We play terrible is the only way we lose. I'm not the least bit concerned about any player they have. We play well and it's game over.
                  No, No, not at all. I was curious and thought I would ask, sorry I brought it up!

Comment

No, No, not at all. I was curious and thought I would ask, sorry I brought it up!
                    she is good player but I think her stats may be partly due to the fact they don't have anyone else.

Comment

I am not trying to. I agree with you!! i think there is a solid chance Larkin has a solid to good game, but nobody else does much of anything. Larkin is a good player, although i must admit i am surprised by the numbers she is putting up. especially am surprised by the rebound numbers for a 5'9 guard. She is good but the team is NOT

i dont expect we beat them by 60 again. and i think depending on how rough they are allowed to play, and if we struggle to shoot and if they can get hot to very hot from 3 will decide how close they can keep it. i am too superstitious to ever flat out say we will win, but i totally agree with you!! if we play well the score will work out in our favor. as long as we play well, even if they play their best game, we are significantly better than they are

and the improved FT shooting the last two road games seems like a sign to me that the girls are getting their minds into postseason focus mode and i expect that the jacks will be ready to go on saturday!!

Comment

jeeesh i would say PLEASE dont be sorry for starting some conversation. it is like a morgue around here

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

jeeesh i would say PLEASE dont be sorry for starting some conversation. it is like a morgue around here
                          Exactly!!!!

Comment

she is good player but I think her stats may be partly due to the fact they don't have anyone else.
                            yes i think that is a very valid thought!! at the same time she gets the HUGE majority of the attention from opposing teams. so she deserves some credit for handling that and still being pretty much the conference leader in combined scoring, rebounding, assists stats. last i looked, i think she was top 3 in points and boards and first in assists

but your point is still valid. and i believe that is why Myah will be POY, despite her stats being a bit down. because of the quality and depth of our players, she is playing less minutes and pretty much letting the game come to her. she is not nearly as aggressive as Larkin is or even Timmer actually. but she has been extremely efficient. it will be interesting to see if AJ has any wish to push Myah to be more aggressive in gearing up for future NCAA games

not to totally change the topic, but this seemed a good place to point it out

Myah is shooting over 51% from the floor and if you compare her to the 2 girls ahead of her in conference and where they all shoot from, as well as the fact that almost nobody else in the conference is shooting over 42%, she is pretty clearly the best shooter in the conference

also shooting over 42% from 3 and 83% from the line (remember when she started the year a little rough from 3, so much for that)

again she is putting up slightly decreased numbers, but she is incredibly efficient and very skilled

Comment

i guess it will be interesting to see how it plays out over the course of her career, but i currently do not see her being a player on the level of Duffy or Lamb or Sjerven (she is not knocking any of them or Seekamp or Koupal out of their all time top 5). I think she will definitely put up bigger career stats than Korngable did, but i think she is about that range of a player. i would say maybe / probably slightly better but in that ballpark

Comment

Larkin is the focus for game planning against the yotes. She takes 25% of the shots. She has 350 shots this year and the next yote has 183. She has 28% of the free throws at 125 with the closest on the team is Duffney at 87. She is the top rebounder at 180 with Demers snagging 118. Assists is also her top number for the team at 112 and Guebert at 58. If the Jackrabbits can force her to commit fouls, that is removing the center of the yotes ball team. I can agree with Justwin that she would not have been a significant piece to overwhelm the Jackrabbits in Frost during the first game. The yotes are likely wanting to slow the game down as they try to muscle the Jackrabbits. As long as they have a short bench, I do not expect the physical game to last.
                                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Working...
                                X