No announcement yet.

GDT:#1 Gamecocks vs Jackrabbits 6pm Pentagon ESPN2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only player who could take it to their bigs was B Myer, because she has the ability to shoot either hand and can keep outta their tremendous reach, can create room with her physicality. Even she couldn't do it all the time. She's going to be a great one.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
      The only player who could take it to their bigs was B Myer, because she has the ability to shoot either hand and can keep outta their tremendous reach. Even she couldn't do it all the time. She's going to be a great one.
      And she doesn't have to stop and think about what she's going to do when she gets the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by tbcruiser View Post

I heard this praise a lot tonight(aggresive penetration to the basket) why in the world do you feed right into USC #1 advantages, leading the country in blocks, thinking a way undersized team can penetrate and make shots under the basket, especially after it's apparent the refs were not gonna call fouls. Beating your head against a wall all night does not make it heroic. Seems pull ups or penetrate and shooting 3s woulda been more appropriate.
        The Jacks rebounded like the best rebounding team in the nation, that will.come in handy during league until this shooting funk is overcome.
        I agree !

I don't know if AJ does not have much trust in the outside shooting of this team or what.
        B. Meyer had a great first half, but other than that, we couldn't do much in the post.
        This will work in the Summit League but not (if you want to go far) in the tournament.
        Where are all the shooters?
        The team does make lazy passes ( I was impressed that Maddie V. corrected that after they stole the first pass). They did have a few bad calls, but they just weren't quite good enough to hang in there againgt the top teams.

I do think , if they didn't lay an egg, against Montana State, they would be ranked (close to) so they are not far off but shooting and sloppy play might keep this team back from being the (or one of- making it further!) best SDSU teams of all time. I am waiting for Colbeck, Timmer, Nelson, Mathiowiez OR P. Meyer to come around and add another consistant players for thsi team.Three of the listed players are offensive minded but they will need to play better D if they aren't carrying us on O.
        They are realy solid. Three of their five losses ar to top 20 teams and they have beat some solid teams but there are some lapses that would be awsome to get taken care of.

Comment

Originally posted by tbcruiser View Post

Definitely what the Jack's did all right

but again,.tremendous defensive strategy and result by Jacks...just need to get offensive confidence for a whole game. This will happen the next 2 months
          This game had me wonder about them. We left wide open shots all night and they didn't seem to want/hit them. If the #1v ranked them can't shoot, what does that mean? We might have given the blueprint to their demise.

Comment

We have fared far worse against teams with that size in the past. I was pleased with how we stuck with them until the end. Good learning experience. Meyer is really starting to find her way around the basket at this level. Once Paige is back, this team will be even better.

I have a feeling too the top schools will see what we did tonight against SC in terms of leaving guards open. AJ’s plan held them to their lowest point total of the season by far.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post

There were some calls that made me think the refs were auditioning for some SEC games.
              I was kind of hoping that AJ would pull a Mulkey and rip off his pullover and stomp on it.

Comment

Meyer was great, but those free-throws...woof. Got some work to do there. I was pleased with how we competed. Does anybody know how SC usually shoots from the outside? Did AJ know that they weren't great from out there so we took away their strength inside or was it one of those things where their inside was soo good that we didn't have a choice but to take it away?
                One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                  Meyer was great, but those free-throws...woof. Got some work to do there. I was pleased with how we competed. Does anybody know how SC usually shoots from the outside? Did AJ know that they weren't great from out there so we took away their strength inside or was it one of those things where their inside was soo good that we didn't have a choice but to take it away?
                  I caught some of his pregame comments. He said they needed to really pack it in on their post players understanding that they would consequently give up a lot of looks from the outside. I don’t know if South Carolina was so disciplined that they weren’t going to settle for outside shots, or if they know they’re not a good 3 point shooting team.

Comment

i did see that route 12 responded to this also, but they are definitely that good inside and the plan was to do everything possible to hinder their inside game even if that meant giving up solid looks from the perimeter

i have no idea how they shoot normally, but i would also say that they have a good understanding of where they have the biggest advantage and WERE IN NO HURRY to settle for 3s and other perimeter shots, without exploring opportunities to get the ball inside

Comment

regarding both teams shooting

i have no doubt somebody could or may choose to dispute this and it is strictly my perspective. i do not have statistical proof to back it up, but i generally do not think the pentagon is a place where teams shoot the ball at an overly successful rate. i have little intent, at least at the moment and maybe ever, to calculate the stats, but my feeling is that if we were to look at the rabbit MBB 3pt shooting stats over the time period since we first played in the pentagon up to today, we would find that they shoot the ball less successfully in the pentagon than they shoot in general. no use using WBB since i believe this is only their 3rd game at the facility. also i am doing a disservice to my theory by allowing the shooting stats from this yet unfinished season as i have no doubt they are pulling our shooting numbers down to this point

i have seen LOTS of high school games in the building and a solid sample of college games. i am not saying it is a BAD shooting atmosphere, but i definitely dont think it is good. i have never had a solid theory as to why.
                      maybe someone can offer proof that my perspective is completely out of whack, but even if you use ONLY the game tonight, i cannot speak about USC, i dont know how they shoot. but take Maddie V she has been our best 3pt shooter of late and probably on the year as a whole. she had 2 very good looks tonight and missed both after going 3 of 5 in the last game. Myah has been shooting it better in the last several games tonight she was 1 of 4 and missed some very good looks. besides the one from Myah the team was OH fer the night from 3 after looking better recently. again dont know about USC but the teams combined were 3 of 26

if someone disagrees and thinks the pentagon is a shooters paradise, i would be glad to hear that side of it. i have seen some people shoot well. the jacks MBB HAVE HAD SOME good shooting performances but in general, my experience is that it is not a shooter friendly environment, unlike for instance Frost Arena which is without question an excellent place to shoot

Comment

anyway, i thought the girls did a lot of good things tonight. gotta like the way they mostly battled on the boards with a team that has been absolutely dominating opponents in that stat.

not saying the refs changed the outcome, but they definitely made an impact in the first half of the game. if they would have called ONLY the obvious calls that were even quite strongly called out by the espn announcers, USC would have been playing some of the first half with Boston and Cardoso either on the bench or playing with 2 fouls and less able to challenge shots and fight for rebounds. would have been fun to see what the jacks might have done if they could have gotten a little mojo going on the offensive end before the end or 3rd / beginning of 4th quarter

Comment

Stats show that they are 42-150 3 point shots resulting in 28% success.
                          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post
                            regarding both teams shooting

i have no doubt somebody could or may choose to dispute this and it is strictly my perspective. i do not have statistical proof to back it up, but i generally do not think the pentagon is a place where teams shoot the ball at an overly successful rate. i have little intent, at least at the moment and maybe ever, to calculate the stats, but my feeling is that if we were to look at the rabbit MBB 3pt shooting stats over the time period since we first played in the pentagon up to today, we would find that they shoot the ball less successfully in the pentagon than they shoot in general. no use using WBB since i believe this is only their 3rd game at the facility. also i am doing a disservice to my theory by allowing the shooting stats from this yet unfinished season as i have no doubt they are pulling our shooting numbers down to this point

i have seen LOTS of high school games in the building and a solid sample of college games. i am not saying it is a BAD shooting atmosphere, but i definitely dont think it is good. i have never had a solid theory as to why.
                            maybe someone can offer proof that my perspective is completely out of whack, but even if you use ONLY the game tonight, i cannot speak about USC, i dont know how they shoot. but take Maddie V she has been our best 3pt shooter of late and probably on the year as a whole. she had 2 very good looks tonight and missed both after going 3 of 5 in the last game. Myah has been shooting it better in the last several games tonight she was 1 of 4 and missed some very good looks. besides the one from Myah the team was OH fer the night from 3 after looking better recently. again dont know about USC but the teams combined were 3 of 26

if someone disagrees and thinks the pentagon is a shooters paradise, i would be glad to hear that side of it. i have seen some people shoot well. the jacks MBB HAVE HAD SOME good shooting performances but in general, my experience is that it is not a shooter friendly environment, unlike for instance Frost Arena which is without question an excellent place to shoot
                            I was going to pose a question about this, as the games I've watched always seem to involve decreased scoring there. I wonder if it's a combination of the unique shot clock design and the color of the floor/seating arrangement behind baskets influencing "depth perception"?

Comment

Kudos to the Jackrabbit faithful who attended the game. That's true Jackrabbit loyalty.

Comment

I agree. Rarely have any jacks team ever had a good shooting game at the pentagon. We struggle their historically in the games.....granted usually against pretty good competition.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X