GDT: USD Coyotes vs SDSU Jackrabbits 2pm Frost Arena Midco/ESPN+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
    Of course I’m being a homer! My post was somewhat tongue in cheek, but that was lost in translation. I realize she doesn’t have a shot at POY. But I think she should be FOY. I have said this to others, we are dang lucky she is only 5’6”
    I have seen many PG in the 5'6" height on P5 teams that were driving the team. FOY and newcomer team seem easily within reach. I would believe driving a top team in the conference would be an advantage over a fifth place ORU leading scorer(13.3) & 5.8 boards with no other big stats. Of course, I am biased a bit as well! She could be better served as MVP SLT!
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Of course I’m being a homer! My post was somewhat tongue in cheek, but that was lost in translation. I realize she doesn’t have a shot at POY. But I think she should be FOY. I have said this to others, we are dang lucky she is only 5’6”
      totally understand your point farmer

BUT, we did have a girl who was 6ft tall with Paige skills by the name of macy miller so we do not have to assume we could not have gotten her

the level of our recruits, i believe, is ONLY going to go UP

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

totally understand your point farmer

BUT, we did have a girl who was 6ft tall with Paige skills by the name of macy miller so we do not have to assume we could not have gotten her

the level of our recruits, i believe, is ONLY going to go UP
        Your right we sure could have. But Macy was in state, IMO that makes a difference. Go down as a legend in your home state or be another "good/great" player that gets forgotten at a P5 when your time is up? Tough call

Comment

Your right we sure could have. But Macy was in state, IMO that makes a difference. Go down as a legend in your home state or be another "good/great" player that gets forgotten at a P5 when your time is up? Tough call
          Well maybe you are right. maybe that was some of the thinking. i do not have any inside info on that. but as i recall Macy was not particularly highly rated for some reason. obviously mistakenly!

but from what i understand, i think a big part of it was Macy being a BIG TIME home body. i think playing close to her family was a big priority. ALSO for being such a legend she NEVER developed ANY ego. she always and still is extremely humble.

Comment

Didn't Macy go to Creighton or somewhere initially?
            One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
              Didn't Macy go to Creighton or somewhere initially?
              I believe that was Jill Young.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

I believe that was Jill Young.
                You're right.
                One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post

I have seen many PG in the 5'6" height on P5 teams that were driving the team. FOY and newcomer team seem easily within reach. I would believe driving a top team in the conference would be an advantage over a fifth place ORU leading scorer(13.3) & 5.8 boards with no other big stats. Of course, I am biased a bit as well! She could be better served as MVP SLT!
                  First off, I love that we have her on the roster. I wouldn't trade her for any of the other players that would be up for FOY because she is perfect for what we want to do. That being said, I don't give the voters for things like POY credit to veer far off the ppg metric when it comes to picking their awards team. Because of this I expect us to be under represented on the all conference award lists at the end of the year.

For FOY it really boils down to 3 players as I see it. Paige, Tirzah Moore from ORU, and Jade Hill from UST. All 3 have been incredible and keys to what success their individual teams have been doing. Obviously Paige has a much better supporting cast while the other two have needed to be the primary scoring threats for their respective teams. Which is more valuable? I would suspect ORU and UST wouldn't trade their freshman star for anyone else either. I guess it's why I hate awards like this because a case could be made for any of the 3. Which is why I suspect it will come down to which is scoring more and that is why I suspect Moore would win it if they voted today.

If looking at an All Newcomer team, then you take the above 3 and add Brooklyn McDavid from KC, Erin Norling from UST, and Jada Thorpe from WIU. I would think in this case, McDavid probably has a slight edge due to her being the 5th leading scorer and rebounder in the league. Now, comparing a grad transfer and a true freshman isn't likely the most fair way to do things, but likely how it would go.

So I suspect the awards would look something like this:

Freshman of the Year: Tirzah Moore, ORU
                  Newcomer of the Year: Brooklyn McDavid, KC
                  All Newcomer Team: Brooklyn McDavid, KC // Tirzah Moore, ORU // Paige Meyer, SDSU // Jade Hill, UST // Erin Norling, UST

I would say the first 4 of that list are pretty set in stone. But the 5th player likely comes down to Norling versus Thorpe and could possibly change later in the season. But for right now, again I leaned on the leading scorer as that is how the votes usually seem to go.

So yes, I say lets win the SLT and have Paige be the tourney MVP. I bet she wouldn't trade that award for any of the others because that likely means the girls are going dancing!
                  Last edited by SteelSD; 02-07-2022, 11:47 AM.

Comment

SDSU's NET is 35, USD's is 38. If both win out (i.e. either one wins SLT) I think both go dancing, especially with expansion of the field to 68.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

It’s interesting to see how losses can cause a team to reevaluate and change. Ever since the loss USD has really started to ramp up it’s minutes off the bench. Is this to save minutes off the big 3 for the final run or do they think there is actually talent here that needs a chance to develop? Will be interesting to see how this plays out come tourney time.
                      Last edited by SteelSD; 02-19-2022, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Posted this already in the Summit WBB thread, but not sure how many follow that. USD game in Macomb has been postponed due to COVID protocol with WIU. Not much time to make up, but they almost have to with the tie situation at the top of the standings. With as hard as travel is to Macomb, it sucks for the Yotes that they might have to travel there twice in 10 days.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                          Posted this already in the Summit WBB thread, but not sure how many follow that. USD game in Macomb has been postponed due to COVID protocol with WIU. Not much time to make up, but they almost have to with the tie situation at the top of the standings. With as hard as travel is to Macomb, it sucks for the Yotes that they might have to travel there twice in 10 days.
                          Sounds as if it was COVID cases on the WIU side of things…who we played and were in close contact with 48 hours ago...two weeks before the tournament. Makes me a bit nervous.

Comment

Working...
                          X