Hilary Behrens Verbal Verbal Fr So Jr
    Jenna Hopp Verbal Verbal Fr So Jr
    Katie Vasecka Fr So
    Emily Fox Fr So
    Mahli Abdouch Fr So
    Total Scholarships 14 14 13 13
    Last edited by GrandpaLee; 04-10-2022, 10:38 PM. Reason: Updated 4/10/22

Comment

• Thanks GrandpaLee - with all the great recruits we have coming in I get easily confused on which year for who. This is awesome.

Comment

• I was looking at all our recruits coming in who have committed and we are going to be loaded for talent starting as soon as next season to add to our already talented team. We tend to overlook recruits from surrounding States, I shouldn't say we, at least I do rather, not out of indifference, but because of not knowing as much about them per se. We've recruited from surrounding States 3 from Ia, Brooklyn Meyer needs no intro, she's a stud, and Natalie Nielsen, not as much written about her but we know she's long and athletic, a much-needed addition, Jenna Hopp, first-team class 4A all-State and will be another huge addition. We have 2 more from Minn, a great State who always has very talented players heavily sought after, Ellie Colbeck, a great 3 pt shooter, and gifted player, that's always an asset to any team and Madison Mathiowetz, she's a scorer and much-heralded for it. The 4 from SD, Katie Vasecka (recently moved here from Minn), Emily Fox, Mahli Abdouch whom we've talked about already extensively as being #'s 1,3, and 5 ranked in SD for the class of '24 by Prep Girls Hoops, but I failed to mention that Hillary Behrens was the #1 ranked SD player for the SD class of '23, again according to PGH . Great days ahead for Jackrabbit women's basketball, looking forward to it, and of course, continuing to enjoy watching the rest of this season as it unfolds too.
        Last edited by jackdaniel; 12-07-2021, 03:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
          I was looking at all our recruits coming in who have committed and we are going to be loaded for talent starting as soon as next season to add to our already talented team. We tend to overlook recruits from surrounding States, I shouldn't say we, at least I do rather, not out of indifference, but because of not knowing as much about them per se. We've recruited from surrounding States 3 from Ia, Brooklyn Meyer needs no intro, she's a stud, and Natalie Nielsen, not as much written about her but we know she's long and athletic, a much-needed addition, Jenna Hopp, first-team class 4A all-State and will be another huge addition. We have 2 more from Minn, a great State who always has very talented players heavily sought after, Ellie Colbeck, a great 3 pt shooter, and gifted player, that's always an asset to any team and Madison Mathiowetz, she's a scorer and much-heralded for it. The 4 from SD, Katie Vasecka (recently moved here from Minn), Emily Fox, Mahli Abdouch whom we've talked about already extensively as being #'s 1,3, and 5 ranked in SD for the class of '24 by Prep Girls Hoops, but we missed Hillary Behrens, the #1 ranked SD player for the SD class of '23, again according to PGH . Great days ahead for Jackrabbit women's basketball, looking forward to it, and of course, continuing to enjoy watching the rest of this season as it unfolds too.
          Hillary verballed to SDSU. That hasn't changed has it?
          One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

• Originally posted by ringthebells View Post

Hillary verballed to SDSU. That hasn't changed has it?
            Oh oh , i see I've unintentionally misled you, what I meant to convey , and should have worded it this way is that I failed to mention about Hillary being ranked #1 for 2023 in SD by PGH. Yes, she is still committed to us, that hasn't changed, sorry, my fault for the confusion. Changed it , Thanks.

Comment

• Thanks for the graph GrandpaLee! I have modified it just because for me it makes sense to have the entire list in descending order.
              Player 21-22 22-23 23-24 24-25 25-26
              Tylee Irwin R-Sr
              Haley Green Gr
              Addison Hirschman Sr
              Lauren Rongisch Sr
              Myah Selland R-Jr R-Sr
              Peyton Burckard R-Jr R-Sr
              Lindsey Theunick R-Jr R-Sr
              Tori Nelson R-So R-Jr R-Sr
              Kallie Thiesen R-So R-Jr R-Sr
              Reagan Nesheim R-So R-Jr R-Sr
              Madison Vlastuin R-Fr R-So R-Jr R-Sr
              Mesa Byom R-Fr R-So R-Jr R-Sr
              Paige Meyer Fr So Jr Sr
              Haleigh Timmer Fr So Jr Sr
              Natalie Nielsen Fr So Jr Sr
              Brooklyn Meyer Fr So Jr Sr
              Madison Mathiowetz Fr So Jr Sr
              Ellie Colbeck Fr So Jr Sr
              Hilary Behrens Fr So Jr
              Jenna Hopp Fr So Jr
              Katie Vasecka Fr So
              Emily Fox Fr So
              Mahli Abdouch Fr So
              Totals 14 14 13 13 9
              My version is not as nice, but makes more sense to me to view it this way.

Based off this, it still would work out class wise for us if we could still sign Sheppard and Dunn in the '24 class. This would max us out in the 24-25 season with 15 scholarships, but would leave room in 2025 as we graduate 4 seniors. However, maybe AJ would feel we need another true post in that class since the only big that season would be our Seniors in Nielsen and Meyer. I'm not sure Dunn would project to a true 5, but looks like that is what she is primarily playing at this point.
              Last edited by SteelSD; 12-14-2021, 11:09 AM.

Comment

• Madison Mathiowetz has some crazy stats so far this season. Through 9 games, she's averaging 35 PPG (63% shooting!), 11.2 RPG, 5.4 APG, and 5.1 SPG. In addition, here's some other stats I could find:

Natalie Nielsen (5 games) - 18.8 PPG, 12.6 RPG, 2.8 SPG

Brooklyn Meyer (5 games) - 20.8 PPG, 10 RPG, 2.6 APG, 2.6 BPG

Jenna Hopp (5 games) - 22.6 PPG, 8.2 RPG, 3 APG, 3 SPG

Hilary Behrens - 26 points in BV's first game

Emilee Fox - 28 points in MVP's first game

Comment

• Originally posted by Project-Badass View Post
                  Madison Mathiowetz has some crazy stats so far this season. Through 9 games, she's averaging 35 PPG (63% shooting!), 11.2 RPG, 5.4 APG, and 5.1 SPG. In addition, here's some other stats I could find:

Natalie Nielsen (5 games) - 18.8 PPG, 12.6 RPG, 2.8 SPG

Brooklyn Meyer (5 games) - 20.8 PPG, 10 RPG, 2.6 APG, 2.6 BPG

Jenna Hopp (5 games) - 22.6 PPG, 8.2 RPG, 3 APG, 3 SPG

Hilary Behrens - 26 points in BV's first game

Emilee Fox - 28 points in MVP's first game

Good! we need some scorers. However, Theunick scored a ton of points in HS and that hasn't necessarily translated.
                  Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

• Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post

Good! we need some scorers. However, Theunick scored a ton of points in HS and that hasn't necessarily translated.
                    YESSSSSS she did!! i would say 2000 points in high school is a ton. she scored over 3000. that is incredibly rare. i have NO facts here but i am willing to bet that there are less than 200 people in the history of the game who have topped 3000 points in their high school career

would be VERY interested to know how she did it. it does not seem it was because she was a deadeye shooter. i have, however, known a few very VERY good shooters who moved to a new school and new coach and the new coach for SOME reason attempted to change their shooting technique. in EVERY case it failed epically. I DO NOT believe that is what happened in this case. I have never seen any evidence that the coaching staff of either team would be insistent enough about shooting being done in such a specific way that they would consider changing the shot of a player who has already been HISTORICALLY successful

Comment

• Just for reference, the state of SD has had THREE people ever go over 3000 points. that is boys and girls and every class combined. highest total is Louie K and i am quite sure he played high school ball for 6 years. at the same time Matthew M, who i am pretty sure also played high school for 6 years would have needed almost a whole extra year to reach 3000. i guess to be accurate he needed about 70% of another year

the BEST way that i know to score that many points is to be a G R E A T shooter. to me that is why Mike D could score over 3000 and our other all time great scorers Macy M and Nate W really were not very close. Macy and Nate were scorers and they had some great shooting nights, but they were really not shooters. Mike was a shooter

anyway, back to where this started, it has always been interesting to me- HOW did Lindsay score so many points in high school and become such an inconsistent scorer here. based on all my experiences, i am guessing that somebody told her that she was not tall enough to get her shot off consistently at the college level and that she needed to change her shot. and I DO NOT believe it was anyone associated with SDSU.

Comment

• Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post

If you look at 2.000 and 3,000 scorers, many play at small schools where they were starters on varsity in the 8th or 9th grade, and didn't consistently play a high quality schedule. Perfect examples were former Jack Anders Broman and his brother who broke national scoring records but were never very successful in college, at least at the upper levels. They mostly played against small charter schools which allowed them to pile up incredible stats against poorer competition.

Comment

• Yes and as i recall they were NEITHER very tall or very athletic. they may have been decent enough shooters but it was difficult for them to get a shot off in any type of comfortable rhythm.

and i am also quite sure that Lindsay did play varsity at least as an 8th grader, if not 7th

Comment

• Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post
                            Just for reference, the state of SD has had THREE people ever go over 3000 points. that is boys and girls and every class combined. highest total is Louie K and i am quite sure he played high school ball for 6 years. at the same time Matthew M, who i am pretty sure also played high school for 6 years would have needed almost a whole extra year to reach 3000. i guess to be accurate he needed about 70% of another year

the BEST way that i know to score that many points is to be a G R E A T shooter. to me that is why Mike D could score over 3000 and our other all time great scorers Macy M and Nate W really were not very close. Macy and Nate were scorers and they had some great shooting nights, but they were really not shooters. Mike was a shooter

anyway, back to where this started, it has always been interesting to me- HOW did Lindsay score so many points in high school and become such an inconsistent scorer here. based on all my experiences, i am guessing that somebody told her that she was not tall enough to get her shot off consistently at the college level and that she needed to change her shot. and I DO NOT believe it was anyone associated with SDSU.
                            Maddie Guebert comes to mind, a great shooter, yet she is behind Macy, SCHLAGEL, AND Vogel in the 1,000 pt club. I think the more ways you can score, the better, but you HAVE to be at least a good, decent shooter too. Even Maddie had a few bad shooting days. Staying healthy factors in obviously, as well as other attributes like stealing the ball, getting offensive putbacks (nose for the ball, good rebounding skills) athletic & physical capabilities, quickness, basketball IQ, more mental (situational awareness), height, grit, just a whole lot of things really. They are rare individuals indeed

Let's just say it's harder to score a lot in college than HS , every game has taller, more athletic , better defenders, than just some games in HS.

Comment

• i think you misunderstood my point. i was speaking VERY specifically about people who have scored 3000 plus points in a high school or college career. NONE of the girls you mentioned were really particularly close to that number. obviously Macy was the only one over 2000

the girls you mentioned OF COURSE were excellent, amazing SCORERS, so was Nate W and many players we have been lucky to cheer for as rabbit fans.

but to score the C R A Z Y number 3000 plus ala Mr Daum or like Lindsay did in high school you usually have to be pretty efficient. as Bigticket mentioned many of the people who do it in high school, ala Lindsay and i think all three people who have done it in south dakota high school hoops, played at a school where they were able to play varsity hoops for more than 4 years

ticket also mentioned playing against lesser competition, but i would argue EVERYONE plays against bad competition in high school. of course you play some good teams but there are a lot of BAD high school players and teams

i guess it also helps to shoot the three. schlagel was actually a very efficient scorer but much more of her scoring was done inside

Comment

• Remember Macie Michelson, I think she was a HS player who scored between 2-3 K pts, she also didn't make the 1,000 pt club at SDSU. She was a vital part of the very talented 2008-2009 team that narrowly missed going to the sweet 16 losing on a last sec lay up by Baylor, the #2 seed. People don't know we probably would have won the auto-bid in 2007-2008 had we not been ineligible due to it being our last yr of transition to Div 1, we won the Summit Conference regular-season pretty easily that season and would have been the odds on favorite in the conference tournament. That team was so talented and unselfish that the points scored were pretty well distributed to a lot of different players. I still think in 2008-2009 we were the first team in their first year of Div 1 to make the NCAA Tournament and win a first-round game. Correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Comment

Working...
                                X