Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2014 - 2015 Jackrabbit WBB season

Originally posted by 73alum View Post
    AJ made a comment recently--maybe most saw it. He said this year's team is young--over 50% are underclassmen. I guess so--62% of the team minutes are from underclassmen--38% then for upperclassmen. I checked the 2008-2009 team that had only 3 losses I believe and the underclassmen had 36% of the minutes--upperclassmen had 64% of the team minutes. This is basically a complete reversal for this years team. I guess this is why some close games we don't win.
    Something I hadn't considered, good research. I knew we were young, but didn't know the underclassmen accounted for that many minutes. Jackrabbit women get the trial by fire treatment, but they become veterans fast. This season's had it's ups and downs, but we are building for the future with this team under the guidance and leadership of some great seniors. The future looks great.

Comment

AJ made a comment recently--maybe most saw it. He said this year's team is young--over 50% are underclassmen. I guess so--62% of the team minutes are from underclassmen--38% then for upperclassmen. I checked the 2008-2009 team that had only 3 losses I believe and the underclassmen had 36% of the minutes--upperclassmen had 64% of the team minutes. This is basically a complete reversal for this years team. I guess this is why some close games we don't win.
      He made a comment on the Jackrabbit Insider on Sunday comparing the % number of minutes played by SDSU underclassmen vs. % of minutes played by upperclassment from USD.

Comment

Since we are on this topic, here's another stat from the USD game. 69% of SDSU points were scored by freshmen/soph.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
          Since we are on this topic, here's another stat from the USD game. 69% of SDSU points were scored by freshmen/soph.
          With our #1 scoring senior sick.....disclaimer. I am excited about the future and the young players contributing both this year and in the future.
          Last edited by jackdaniel; 01-21-2015, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Wish Gabby and Megan could of cut into those minutes a little to get more wins, but very happy we will be a much better team next year because the younger players got valuable game experience. To our programs credit, we are able to absorb the loss of key players a little better than many because of the depth and quality of players we get year after year.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
              He made a comment on the Jackrabbit Insider on Sunday comparing the % number of minutes played by SDSU underclassmen vs. % of minutes played by upperclassment from USD.
              Playing devil's advocate. Who is in charge of making sure there is that balance between experience and youth? Not like you lose your best players to the WNBA. Not saying AJ is making an excuse because I don't think he is. If he is, I don't buy it.

I might counter by saying Amy Williams is getting more out of players with less talent and manage her rotation and game plan better, especially the last 2 games against SDSU. I'd say that is a ridiculous assumption to make but an assumption some have considered (some being me).
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                Playing devil's advocate. Who is in charge of making sure there is that balance between experience and youth? Not like you lose your best players to the WNBA. Not saying AJ is making an excuse because I don't think he is. If he is, I don't buy it.

I might counter by saying Amy Williams is getting more out of players with less talent and manage her rotation and game plan better, especially the last 2 games against SDSU. I'd say that is a ridiculous assumption to make but an assumption some have considered (some being me).
                I agree with the balance between classes. There are situations like the senior class where injuries happen that no one can control. But then we have a one person junior class where the only player is getting limited back-up minutes. I am trying to remember who was originally recruited in this junior class. I believe Jessica Hart , who didn't work out was in that class. Were there any more or was in only a two-person class to start with ?

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post

bingo on your final comments. i was in the camp that thought usd hit a homerun with the amy williams hire---and, i'll go as far to say if she pulls off another summit championship this year, her name will become very attractive amongst schools that may be in the running for a new head coach.

Comment

Looking back, apparently we only had the 2 scholarships available, Jessica and Chloe signed. Also in the mix that year - Catilin Duffy, Augie, Heidi Hoff, USD and Riley Nordgaard, Colo State (?).

Comment

Originally posted by krak-r-jacks View Post
                      bingo on your final comments. i was in the camp that thought usd hit a homerun with the amy williams hire---and, i'll go as far to say if she pulls off another summit championship this year, her name will become very attractive amongst schools that may be in the running for a new head coach.
                      I agree on the great hire for USD and she will get a lot of looks if the success keeps up. I expect a war in Sioux Falls between USD and SDSU for the title. Being female gives her a big advantage on getting a ****** job. If AJ was a woman he would have been snapped up from here a long time ago IMHO.

I still think that come tournament time the Jacks will be playing their best ball and they will win it all in Sioux Falls. This team has enough talent to challenge a higher ranked team in the tourney. Let's hope they get the chance!

SUPERBUNNY
                      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                        Looking back, apparently we only had the 2 scholarships available, Jessica and Chloe signed. Also in the mix that year - Catilin Duffy, Augie, Heidi Hoff, USD and Riley Nordgaard, Colo State (?).
                        Duffy started at Colorado State, and has now transferred to USD. She is redshirting on transfer rules. Nordgaard started at Augie, and transferred to Montana State, now redshirting on transfer rules. I believe both will be in their junior seasons next year.
                        LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                          I agree on the great hire for USD and she will get a lot of looks if the success keeps up. I expect a war in Sioux Falls between USD and SDSU for the title. Being female gives her a big advantage on getting a ****** job. If AJ was a woman he would have been snapped up from here a long time ago IMHO.

I still think that come tournament time the Jacks will be playing their best ball and they will win it all in Sioux Falls. This team has enough talent to challenge a higher ranked team in the tourney. Let's hope they get the chance!

SUPERBUNNY
                          you could very well be right about AJ. when there was chatter about the minny job, i really wondered if he would be in the running. there were comments made by some that cover gopher sports that stated there is no way minny hires a male for a coach.

it should be an interesting summit tourney. i hope you are correct they will be playing there best ball come tourney time.

Comment

Originally posted by krak-r-jacks View Post
                            Williams may prove to be a good coach, but I wouldn't start out giving her that much credit right away. I think that USD may be one of the top three teams this year, but there is a lot of season left. Noticed that JackMD pointed out the last two times we played USD. The tournament win was certainly a big body blow, but we beat them twice last year including on their own floor. Then we came close, again in the Dome, without Waytashek playing. I venture to say that if they came up with Contreras, and played on our floor, it wouldn't be close. I'll take AJ any day.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                              Williams may prove to be a good coach, but I wouldn't start out giving her that much credit right away. I think that USD may be one of the top three teams this year, but there is a lot of season left. Noticed that JackMD pointed out the last two times we played USD. The tournament win was certainly a big body blow, but we beat them twice last year including on their own floor. Then we came close, again in the Dome, without Waytashek playing. I venture to say that if they came up with Contreras, and played on our floor, it wouldn't be close. I'll take AJ any day.
                              Agree AJ any day. I could be very surprised, but I think he has found a home here at SDSU. How many little people does he go home to every night? At least two.

Comment

Congratulations Megan,

Waytashek Two for Two: http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.d...B_OEM_ID=15000

BROOKINGS, S.D.—Senior Megan Waytashek (Lino Lakes, Minn.) picked up her second honor Monday when she was named the Summit League Player of the Week after helping the South Dakota State women’s basketball team to a 1-0 week. Waytashek, who was named the College Sports Madness Summit League Mid-Major Player of the Week earlier in the day, earned her second Summit League Player of the Week honor this season and fifth of her career.

Comment

Working...
                                X