2014 - 2015 Jackrabbit WBB season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 - 2015 Jackrabbit WBB season

The start of the season is fast approaching. This is going to be a fun season - we are going to miss Gabby on the court but this is a deep team and other players will step up! Wanted to start this thread before pre-season games start. Go Jacks!

Re: 2014 - 2015 Jackrabbit WBB season

I have 2 questions as I look at this year. The first is there a freshman or two that will redshirt this year in order to balance the small junior class and not have a backlog of players waiting for playing time? We could suit up 14 and let the season determine who plays. Next year's freshmen will also add to that backlog. The second question is who will start at the point with the Gabby injury? Will Miller have the speed, strength, and court vision to pop in front of Cornemann and Alexander? There should be no argument about the depth.
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
      I have 2 questions as I look at this year. The first is there a freshman or two that will redshirt this year in order to balance the small junior class and not have a backlog of players waiting for playing time? We could suit up 14 and let the season determine who plays. Next year's freshmen will also add to that backlog. The second question is who will start at the point with the Gabby injury? Will Miller have the speed, strength, and court vision to pop in front of Cornemann and Alexander? There should be no argument about the depth.
      No. Miller. Yes.Yes.Yes.

Comment

...the season's approaching! First up: double-header exhibition games with SD Tech.

One of the assistant coaches for the Tech women is our own, Jackrabbit standout Ketty Cornemann Paula. (Ketty is married to Jordan Paula, Jackrabbit running back and sprinter on the track team.)

So, what will Ketty do when little sister Chloe is in the game wearing the Yellow and Blue?

Link to Tech's webpage on its women's coaches: http://www.sdsmt.edu/Athletics/Women...tball/Coaches/

Comment

https://twitter.com/hashtag/JACKSOPENER?src=hash
          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Winter/Spring Sports Media Day:

"This year's team is going to be as talented as any that we've had here." -AJ

8 more days till the 1st exhibition game of the season!

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
              Winter/Spring Sports Media Day:

"This year's team is going to be as talented as any that we've had here." -AJ
              And that from a guy who does not exaggerate or boast. Wow! Looking forward to it!

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/story/spo...ayer/17760301/

Comment

http://www.mitchellrepublic.com/cont...g-roles-season

"Skill-wise, Macy's definitely ready to play," Johnston said. "She's ahead of other freshmen in the mental part of the game. She's even-keeled and is able to stay within herself and move to the next play, whether it was a good or bad one. When you have young players that can be consistent mentally, that helps the jump into college."

If AJ goes with a freshman starting at point guard, its going to be Miller. The only other candidates that could start imo would be Young or Cornemann. I'm leaning towards Miller.

Comment

The point guard appears to have Miller as the lead candidate. Young would seem down the line a bit since Alexander may have a chance to pop in there before. Chloe would seem to have a crack at the job as well in a backup role unless she has brought more game into the new year and competes for the start. Either way, Gabby will be back later in the year to provide more depth for the tournament time. The time between now and then will make the point guard position much better. The expectations for this year's team are at a high level following last year's run in the WNIT and the freshman class. The 5 senoirs should find some spark to lead this group.

Comment

I'm guessing if Miller is the starter either Chloe or Young will be the primary backup. I can't see AJ using primarily 2 freshman at the point. That veteran presence is valuable.
                      Last edited by MontanaRabbit; 10-23-2014, 02:02 PM.

Comment

It may be a bit premature to guess at lineups, but I would see Young as the starting SG. She subbed at the 2 and 3 positions last year and provided valuable minutes(19 minutes/game). Moving her to the PG might be a necesary move if noone else is capable, but she would be missed at the 2. Young has great speed and like the article from Mitchell refers to the chemistry she has with Miller is another plus for her to spend time at the 2 while Miller is at the PG. I see the Mitchell gals as the guards joining Waytashek, Clarin, and Stevens in the starting roles.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                          It may be a bit premature to guess at lineups, but I would see Young as the starting SG. She subbed at the 2 and 3 positions last year and provided valuable minutes(19 minutes/game). Moving her to the PG might be a necesary move if noone else is capable, but she would be missed at the 2. Young has great speed and like the article from Mitchell refers to the chemistry she has with Miller is another plus for her to spend time at the 2 while Miller is at the PG. I see the Mitchell gals as the guards joining Waytashek, Clarin, and Stevens in the starting roles.
                          I wouldn't mind that lineup. Then you have Ober, Alexander, Cornemann, Thompson, Stuart, Flaata, and Walters coming off the bench (possibly in that order). I could see Severyn being the lone red-shirt out of the freshman class. I'm not really sure what to expect from Flaata, Walters, or Stuart. Stuart has shown spurts of being dominate (i.e. Georgetown last season) but then gets way over aggressive.

Comment

There's just so much the coaches can do with this deep and talented roster. If they decide they want speed and rebounding for transition baskets for example, they can choose the right players based on those needs. If they decided to get some three point buckets, they could have a line up for that. They can mix and match players to basically attack their opponents weaknesses and exploit the same. Once they all become comfortable playing together, they should really be fun to watch. I'm optimistic this will be a very good season, can't wait for it to begin.
                            Last edited by jackdaniel; 10-23-2014, 10:53 PM.

Comment

I would imagine Miller starts and Chloe backs her up, at least in the beginning. Alexander may get her opportunities too, but I expect her to have to "earn" it past Chloe.

I don't really think Young should play the point. Maybe in a pinch, if Gabby is out, but there are 3 other players to run the point.

Keep her at the 2/3. Her and Waytashek together on the wings, is a pretty formidible challenge for any defense.

I'm excited to see the team in action. Most positive I have ever heard AJ. I think with our talent in the backcourt... Miller/Young/Megan ... that's really going to lead to some easy baskets for our posts. Because they are really going to have to focus on preventing penetration, all 3 of those girls are so athletic and gifted at getting to the rim. And they are all 6'0" tall. they are a matchup nightmare for pretty much anyone, especially the summit league.

Comment

Working...
                              X