AJ's Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AJ's Future

I am not buying the "more pay elsewhere" theory, specifically at U of M. Having come from living and working in MN myself...I can personally verify how much more expensive it is to live in MN than SD. Sure, I took about a 3 dollar an hour paycut when I came back to SD a decade ago, but even with that paycut, my TAKE HOME was MORE, because of less taxes here.

So, using Borton's current salary posted somewhere earlier, no, I don't think AJ would jump to MN because he'd make 350k vs 200k here.
    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
      Yes, one mistake and your out for a few minutes.
      The only time i would say it hurts a player,and destroys their self-confidence is if it isn't fair.By that i mean if it's not applied to everyone ,and instead seems directed at only a few "hand picked" individuals.AJ doesn't do that,i don't believe.Players will pick up on wether or not a coach is fair to everyone or not,you can believe that.I think our players don't have an issue with being subed,if it's pecieved as being applied equally to everyone.

Comment

AJ has to be one of the top candidates for Gopher job. Grew up 30 miles from Mpls, successful HC with no downside. If they offer him multiple years at 250-500,000 per year he would almost have to take it. If and when SDSU loses him to U of M or another a school because of the 1 yr contract issues the legislature should feel compelled to act. I expect he will take the offer if Minnesota steps up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
          AJ has to be one of the top candidates for Gopher job. Grew up 30 miles from Mpls, successful HC with no downside. If they offer him multiple years at 250-500,000 per year he would almost have to take it. If and when SDSU loses him to U of M or another a school because of the 1 yr contract issues the legislature should feel compelled to act. I expect he will take the offer if Minnesota steps up.

If he leaves, it will because of the $$ and challenge of coaching at the Big 10 level and not the one year contract issues. I am pretty sure he isn't too concerned about job security at SDSU. Also, it seems that multi-year contracts only bind the school and not the coach.
          USD Fan

Comment

Per TV's Tweet

"Star Trib reports that SDSU coach Aaron Johnston is among 3 "frontrunners" for Minnesota job. The others are women. http://t.co/Ui7d62aVQD"
            I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
              I am not buying the "more pay elsewhere" theory, specifically at U of M. Having come from living and working in MN myself...I can personally verify how much more expensive it is to live in MN than SD. Sure, I took about a 3 dollar an hour paycut when I came back to SD a decade ago, but even with that paycut, my TAKE HOME was MORE, because of less taxes here.

So, using Borton's current salary posted somewhere earlier, no, I don't think AJ would jump to MN because he'd make 350k vs 200k here.
              Pam Borton's buyout was less than what she was set to make and was still, What 1.5 mil?
              So uh, Apples and oranges in your comparison. but if it's close you are absolutely correct.

Comment

A multiple year contract can include buyouts and guarantees you much more than a single year contract plus the coach isn't bound to the University. I disagree with hareball on this one. Gophers can offer him a contract that will guarantee a comfortable living for he and his family for decades to come. SDSU can't compete with that. I don't argue that his position is secure here, for the foreseeable future. That said, he isn't guaranteed squat.

We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post

I'm sorry, but the whole "Minnesota has state income tax" argument does not hold water in this situation. Even if AJ pays 10% state income taxes on that $350k, he's still taking home $315k. And, it is not that much more expensive to live in Minnesota. We're not talking California versus South Dakota here.

If he leaves for the Minnesota job, it won't be because of our 1-year contracts. While it may play a small factor, he'd be leaving for other obvious reasons. Now if he left for say an "equivalent" school for a multi-year contract..........that's a different story.

The Star Tribune is reporting he is one of 3 frontrunners. Only 2 of the 3 are still coaching - AJ and Ivey (the Notre Dame assistant). Read into that what you will.

Edit: Some of you are faster typers than I am.

Comment

AJ's Future

That Notre Dame assistant appears to be serious competition for AJ. Big school, hugely successful WBB program, female. I'm selfishly rooting for her.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I think the Y is AJs biggest obstacle. XX is an advantage IMHO.

Comment

Does anyone know if minn has talked to him yet?

Since it says he is part of the 3 front runners does that mean he left his hat in the ring. I figure if he didn't want it we would have heard he turn um down or didn't talk to um.

Or any chance sell has talked to him about his next contract getting a decent raise by any chance?
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I thought it said that they had not contacted anyone of the coaches because of the post season.

Comment

Originally posted by sdsu_drake View Post
                            I thought it said that they had not contacted anyone of the coaches because of the post season.

The article says the AD has not "personally" contacted any of the coaches. Interesting wording...
                            "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                              The article says the AD has not "personally" contacted any of the coaches. Interesting wording...
                              I believe if a school is using a search firm , the search firm can contact a coach to "gauge interest" without getting permission from the coach's current school.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                                I'm sorry, but the whole "Minnesota has state income tax" argument does not hold water in this situation. Even if AJ pays 10% state income taxes on that $350k, he's still taking home $315k. And, it is not that much more expensive to live in Minnesota. We're not talking California versus South Dakota here.

If he leaves for the Minnesota job, it won't be because of our 1-year contracts. While it may play a small factor, he'd be leaving for other obvious reasons. Now if he left for say an "equivalent" school for a multi-year contract..........that's a different story.

The Star Tribune is reporting he is one of 3 frontrunners. Only 2 of the 3 are still coaching - AJ and Ivey (the Notre Dame assistant). Read into that what you will.

Edit: Some of you are faster typers than I am.
                                In that situation he wouldn't take home 315k though. The feds would take another 30%, so that knocks it down to what...210k'ish. vs around 140k here? Not worth it IMO. Don't get me wrong, if UM offers him WAY more (500k), I think he's gone, which they could very well be preparing to do to whomever they choose.
                                "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Working...
                                X