AJ's Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AJ's Future

Could very well be. Could very well not be. Perhaps NDSU will even give him a call.

I'll set up a tent adjacent to his house and let anyone know if a for sale sign appears.
    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

What? For Sale? Like NDSU's WBB coach before the season even started?

Agree that U of M has to be considered as a place where AJ would take his talents, if requested. Whether Borton would be let go after two seasons in the WNIT instead of NCAAs seems a bit ridiculous. However, Tubby was fired after making NCAA's but 1st round loss.

Comment

Personally, I don't see the Gophers being that interested in A.J. I think they'd want a "bigger" name hire than that.
        "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

AJ's biggest disadvantage is that he is a man. More and more D1 programs are going for the female head coach.

Comment

Originally posted by 76Rabbit View Post
            AJ's biggest disadvantage is that he is a man. More and more D1 programs are going for the female head coach.
            Especially at Minnesota, where there are 2 virtually separate athletic departments, if I remember correctly. Its one of the reasons Minnesota is so average in men's basketball and below average in football. The two halves of the Athletic Department are in constant conflict attempting to screw each other over. A big 10 school with gobs of money that can't get a basketball practice facility built when their primary arena doesn't even accommodate crosscourts is a sign of something wrong.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
              Especially at Minnesota, where there are 2 virtually separate athletic departments, if I remember correctly. Its one of the reasons Minnesota is so average in men's basketball and below average in football. The two halves of the Athletic Department are in constant conflict attempting to screw each other over. A big 10 school with gobs of money that can't get a basketball practice facility built when their primary arena doesn't even accommodate crosscourts is a sign of something wrong.
              Not anymore - haven't had a separate women's AD for several years now. Other than typical Title IX stuff , no real battles between men and women . Plenty of reasons for football not being great , but this isn't one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by 76Rabbit View Post
                As long as TK wanted to bring the gorilla into the room, 76Rabbit is as much or more on subject than most of the other stuff I have read on this thead. The fact of the matter is (yes I know, Geno Auriemma is a male coach of a female team) that in this day and age, most programs, and certainly MOST big programs, will hire a female coach for a women's basketball program.

Now, having said that, the second thing, which is just a personal opinion, is that I hate fan board threads over whether some coach is going to get a better offer and leave. My reason: there is not a darn thing any of us can do about it, or even the university. I understand threads on fan boards, where they are unhappy with coaches, and sometimes that feeling reaches the administration and coaches get terminated. I personally know that AJ likes his situation here and that we have treated him pretty well. That doesn't mean he won't get an offer somewhere and leave. When he does go, we will all owe him a big thank you. In the meantime, let's savor our luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                  As long as TK wanted to bring the gorilla into the room, 76Rabbit is as much or more on subject than most of the other stuff I have read on this thead. The fact of the matter is (yes I know, Geno Auriemma is a male coach of a female team) that in this day and age, most programs, and certainly MOST big programs, will hire a female coach for a women's basketball program.

Now, having said that, the second thing, which is just a personal opinion, is that I hate fan board threads over whether some coach is going to get a better offer and leave. My reason: there is not a darn thing any of us can do about it, or even the university. I understand threads on fan boards, where they are unhappy with coaches, and sometimes that feeling reaches the administration and coaches get terminated. I personally know that AJ likes his situation here and that we have treated him pretty well. That doesn't mean he won't get an offer somewhere and leave. When he does go, we will all owe him a big thank you. In the meantime, let's savor our luck!
                  Exactly. Many factors would be at play. I don't think the demand for AJ is as high as some might think it is. I also don't think the money is so much greater elsewhere that it makes it impossible to say no to other offers. Lastly, I don't think he finds the relative success he's had here at another program.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                    Personally, I don't see the Gophers being that interested in A.J. I think they'd want a "bigger" name hire than that.
                    Was the current WBB coach a big name? I have not read her bio but in terms of watching women's BB her name does not jump out at me. Nor does her past coaching experience. Again, I have not research her but I don't believe she was a house hold name.

GBGBGJ

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
                      Was the current WBB coach a big name? I have not read her bio but in terms of watching women's BB her name does not jump out at me. Nor does her past coaching experience. Again, I have not research her but I don't believe she was a house hold name.

GBGBGJ
                      Has anybody ever thought that our women (this team in particular) are over-coached? I had a friend mention this and the more that I think about it the more it seems (at least offensively) that they rarely make decisions before the bench weighs in. the exception to this is most fast breaks. Funny thing is I had overheard someone else at the Creighton game say something similar.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                        Has anybody ever thought that our women (this team in particular) are over-coached? I had a friend mention this and the more that I think about it the more it seems (at least offensively) that they rarely make decisions before the bench weighs in. the exception to this is most fast breaks. Funny thing is I had overheard someone else at the Creighton game say something similar.
                        Yes, one mistake and your out for a few minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                          Yes, one mistake and your out for a few minutes.
                          It is hard to dispute the results. The ability to bring in quality subs in those coaching moments also is an asset. It is not like the player goes to the bench and the player is shunned. There is usually some communication in those breaks. Over coaching for this team may be a result of not having that clear cut "leader" on the team this year.
                          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I guess If there was a critique I have for AJ it would echo one I have about Stig. Timeouts. AJ does not seem to have "The knack" that say Chris Paul has for calling a time out to end momentum.
                            That being said I know that AJ has stated he does not like to call such time outs to avoid interrupting the game flow says it's a double edge sword.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post

In fairness, the gorilla was already in the room.........I just decided to point and scream at it.

I agree with the sentiment of your post. However, the origination of this thread was really the fact that we were playing Minnesota in Frost. I think most of us can agree that if there was one "big name" job that AJ might jump at it would be Minnesota, especially given their current coaching situation. If we were playing Indiana this round, I would not have started the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                                It is hard to dispute the results. The ability to bring in quality subs in those coaching moments also is an asset. It is not like the player goes to the bench and the player is shunned. There is usually some communication in those breaks. Over coaching for this team may be a result of not having that clear cut "leader" on the team this year.
                                We have too many good basketball players,and what draws them into playing for the Jacks is getting playing time and development.Before you say the obvious that you can never have too many good players,let me explain further.

First,AJ has to find playing time for 12,13 players throughout the year.Kind of tough with players of all types of sizes,development, skill sets.It's a juggling act at times.Sometimes it hurts the flow of the game,but the idea is to be able to put anyone in off the bench and that person fits in and the team doesn't miss a beat (practice,practice,practice).

So why do it,play so many people?Program reputation.Word gets around and a program that has a good reputation for playing time,no matter how many good recruits there are,you're going to continue to attract the very best in the area to play.Winning helps too

Just my theory,so go ahead and pick it apart if you disagree.

Comment

Working...
                                X