Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Middle Tenn State

Originally posted by BlueRaiderPride
    [quote author=JimmyJack link=1163265552/75#86 date=1166373303]We do have a diversity problem at SDSU. As Al Branum, head of the Office of Diversity has said, when he started his job he knew that SDSU is a majority white campus. As head of the Office of Diversity, it has become clear to him that SDSU is an overwhelmingly white campus. It's a common problem in the upper midwest and is not unique to SDSU. And it's a problem that is recognized from the highest levels of administration right down into every classroom. Everyone on campus is working very hard to improve the situation, with good results.

But this discussion has nothing to do with athletics or the racial makeup of our women's team and it's pretty obnoxious that BlueRaiderPride would bring it up in this context. Your team lost to ours. You've got a good team. We've got a good team. What's the problem?

The demographics have alot to play in diversity.  I'm not suggesting SDSU is a racist school.  As one of our fans pointed out to me at the game, you won't find many other races in South Dakota.  It's South Dakota.  It's close to Canada.  Unless you're winning and have a tradition of winning that potential recruits will like, it's going to be very hard to recruit to South Dakota, because it's South Dakota.  Honestly, what is South Dakota (as a state) known for other than the Black Hills or Mount Rushmore (which may be in North Dakota)?  I think alot of recruits are not only attracted to the school, but also what the area has to offer with which that school is located.

Besides, I believe that was the last time we'll play SDSU anyways hopefully.  Even though ya'll are pretty good, I'd rather us play a team that people respect like a Duke or UConn--nothing against you guys.  I'm sure you feel the same way about us.  Beating up on each other isn't going to help us get an edge on the upper echolon.  It's just going to pull both down.[/quote]

Why do we need to recruit out of South Dakota or the upper midwest...we seem to beat your team just fine with the young women we have.  

Maybe you should take some time away from our board and open up a geography book, or better yet, come spend some time in SD or the midwest before you comment about why recruits would want to live/visit here.  From the sounds of it you are speaking from pretty limited experience.  
    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

SDSUJack3031 and 1bunnies

Why are we playing the Stupid card? Reading what BlueRaiderPride ask I did not find it offense. I believe it was a question to educate his/herself.

I have enjoyed the competition Middle Tennessee State has given the Jacks. It has been a great three games. If we continue to play GREAT! If not, it was a good ride. I also agree with testing our team against the best. I would love a game with Tennessee, UConn, Duke, UNC Tar Heels. Testing our team with Purdue and Baylor has been awesome. But playing the likes of MTSU, WKU and others also brings our team great exposure, confidence and tests our team, too.
      We...ARE...STATE!
      SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

I apologize but I did think it was funny

Comment

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...su-cover_x.htm

This article about MTSU was the cover sports story in today's USA Today:

Insell embraces big dreams at Middle Tennessee State

By Johnnie Whitehead, USA TODAY
          MURFREESBORO, Tenn. — Rick Insell can do two things as well as anyone in women's college basketball:

Coach. And inspire.

He did it for 28 years while cementing his legend at nearby Shelbyville Central High School. Now he's doing it at No. 20 Middle Tennessee State (15-3, 7-0 Sun Belt), ranked in the coaches' poll for the first time since 1988, for the first time in the writers' poll and fourth in the nation in scoring.

"It's unbelievable what's happening around here," says senior guard Chrissy Givens, the Sun Belt Conference player of the year and defensive player of the year last season and the team's leader in scoring (21.1 points a game) and assists (4.9).

The team's success has this town, just 25 miles southeast of Nashville, speculating how far Insell can take the mid-major school, which has never been past the NCAA tournament's second round. The Blue Raiders are a tenacious, defensive, blue-collar lot with a 3.22 cumulative grade-point average.

"I refuse to use that word," Insell says of the "mid-major" label. "It's placing us in a category that we're mediocre."

A few moments later, with the swagger of a big dreamer, Insell put his vision into focus.

"Look, I've always been a big dreamer," Insell says. "Do I think we could be in the Final Four this year? Yeah.
          (Read more....)
          Congrats to the Blue Raiders for the national media attention and best of luck with the rest of your season!

Comment

I thought this was interesting... If you scroll over Middle Tennessee State... it has some text about this being the only bad loss for them haha YA GO JACKS!!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/bracketology

Comment

Originally posted by fabio208
              I thought this was interesting... If you scroll over Middle Tennessee State... it has some text about this being the only bad loss for them haha YA GO JACKS!!!

Charlie Creme must be related to Stu Whitney........he needs to realize that we have a pretty good RPI and some pretty good players.......

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78
                [quote author=fabio208 link=1163265552/90#94 date=1171319400]I thought this was interesting... If you scroll over Middle Tennessee State... it has some text about this being the only bad loss for them haha YA GO JACKS!!!

Charlie Creme must be related to Stu Whitney........he needs to realize that we have a pretty good RPI and some pretty good players....... [/quote]
                But in the nation's public eye when it comes to women's BB, we aren't to the level of Tennessee or Maryland. Compared to those two teams, MTSU loss to us is a "blemish" but overall the loss is, as you say, not that bad. Also, we are still South Dakota State, an up and coming D-I women's BB program. There are still people out there that need convincing we are for real. I think winning the Mid-Con multiple years in a row might help our cause!

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack
                  [quote author=NightHawk78 link=1163265552/90#95 date=1171320923][quote author=fabio208 link=1163265552/90#94 date=1171319400]I thought this was interesting... If you scroll over Middle Tennessee State... it has some text about this being the only bad loss for them haha YA GO JACKS!!!

Charlie Creme must be related to Stu Whitney........he needs to realize that we have a pretty good RPI and some pretty good players....... [/quote]
                  But in the nation's public eye when it comes to women's BB, we aren't to the level of Tennessee or Maryland.  Compared to those two teams, MTSU loss to us is a "blemish" but overall the loss is, as you say, not that bad.  Also, we are still South Dakota State, an up and coming D-I women's BB program.  There are still people out there that need convincing we are for real.  I think winning the Mid-Con multiple years in a row might help our cause![/quote]
                  I think there should be plenty of teams that know how good we are. Take Nebraska, We won by what, 19 points there last year, and shortly after that they drop games with us the next 2 years. They are ranked top 25 but they dont even want to play us because they know how good we are and that we could beat them or they are afraid of playing tough teams. Also with MTSU, its not the first time we have beaten them either. Maybe if it was a major upset then i would agree its a blemish, but MTSU is on a higher level then we are. Hopefully in time, the rest of college womens basketball will relize how legit we really are.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Looking over the bracket, 3 of our 5 losses were to teams expected to make the tourney (9th Seed WKU, 5th Seed Marquette, 6th Seed Baylor), and we have the win over Middle Tennesee State (5th Seed) and bubble team USC who are 15-9 and 4th in the PAC-10. Our other two losses this year were to 14-10 Missouri and 17-10 Arkansas State.

Comment

• Re: Middle Tenn State

Well that win against Middle Tennessee State is looking more impressive. 28-3 17th in the country haven't lost since Nov. 25th.

Comment

rather impressive company we keep - Tennessee, Maryland and SDSU are the teams to have defeated Mid Tenn

Comment

• Re: NJIT again...

#16 Middle Tennessee State, with only 3 losses including the one handed to them by the Jackrabbits, topped La Lafayette for the Sunbelt Conference championship and the ticket to the big dance.

Comment

That loss to your team pretty much guarantees us a date with a #1 seed in the Sweet 16 as an all-probably 5-seed.  Without that loss, I feel pretty confident that we would've been a #3 seed.  The loss was in good timing and necessary.  Our ladies got a chance to see early what happens when you don't show up against a very good opponent.  It's always better to find that out sooner rather than later.

Best of luck in the WNIT. Be sure to come by and see us on the Blue Raider Zone. Just click on the picture in my signature.

Comment

Working...
                            X