Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Future

i have to respectfully disagree with the poster that mentioned the jacks don't need a pg to score 10 pts/game. i watched a handful of minnesota games this year and, wow, what a world of difference rachel banham has made for that team. now, i know it would be tough to get a pg of her caliber to sdsu---but, imagine what it would do for this team to have a pg that can take it to the basket and finish (banham can hit the 3, also). we've seen "flashes" of it, but, the consistency hasn't been there. things would open up so much more. to have that threat game in and game out would be huge. imo, would make everyone better.

Comment

Originally posted by krak-r-jacks View Post
      i have to respectfully disagree with the poster that mentioned the jacks don't need a pg to score 10 pts/game. i watched a handful of minnesota games this year and, wow, what a world of difference rachel banham has made for that team. now, i know it would be tough to get a pg of her caliber to sdsu---but, imagine what it would do for this team to have a pg that can take it to the basket and finish (banham can hit the 3, also). we've seen "flashes" of it, but, the consistency hasn't been there. things would open up so much more. to have that threat game in and game out would be huge. imo, would make everyone better.
      I think a pg like that say a wolters sytle does SDSU more good on the mens team, the womens team needs ball control and cut down TO and we have plently of weapons who can score and shoot etc, but to have a play maker who gets the ball and breaks the press would be huge for this team. Get back to the running rabbits we have been before.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by leeshajo View Post

I guess if I am playing the predict the starters for next year (Making the assumption that Steph will NOT be available next year) I would say...

POST - Lingle
        WING - Strop
        WING - Dietel
        Guard - Eide
        POINT - Boever

Heiser, Clarin, Wolters, Megan W., Stewart - all will have significant minutes
        Not sure how much playing time will be there for the Freshmen but one of them is going to have to be that back-up point guard by the end of the season.
        I wouldn't classify Dietel as a wing. In reality,the Jacks usually ran two posts,two wings and a point guard. I think the starting line-up at the end of next season will be different than at the beginning of the year. To start with I would look for Lingle,Dietel,Eide,Heiser and Boever to open the season. At the end of the year,it wouldn't surprise me if it's Lingle,Clarin,Walters,Eide and whoever is most effective at the point beteen Heiser,Boever and a possible JUCO point.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
          I wouldn't classify Dietel as a wing. In reality,the Jacks usually ran two posts,two wings and a point guard. I think the starting line-up at the end of next season will be different than at the beginning of the year. To start with I would look for Lingle,Dietel,Eide,Heiser and Boever to open the season. At the end of the year,it wouldn't surprise me if it's Lingle,Clarin,Walters,Eide and whoever is most effective at the point beteen Heiser,Boever and a possible JUCO point.
          I agree with the above post that the starting lineup will be different at the end of the season than it is at the beginning of the season. It is rare to have the same starting lineup for any team all season long. Eide is a lock to start and play big minutes. Lingle probably steps in and provides a low post presence. If she can stay out of foul trouble she will be a force. I like the toughness and defense Dietel brings to the table. Solid player and will score more. Boever has to be the leading candidate to run the point coming into the season. Hopefully she continues to improve like she did this year. Heiser showed a lot down the stretch, especially on defense and her ability to get to the basket on offense. Lets not forget about Waytashek. Will she be healthy? Sure hope so because she could be special. Clarin could provide a spark on offense, and if she can defend she will get good minutes. Strop showed the ability to be a spark off the bench on some nights with her 3 point shooting. Walters could be the leading candidate to surprise opponents with her ability to score because she can shoot the three so well. She has serious range! Like to see her add the ability to drive to her game. Didn't see much of Stuart but like her size. Really hope Paluch is available.

Comment

krak-r-iacks post:

have to respectfully disagree with the poster that mentioned the jacks don't need a pg to score 10 pts/game
            .[/B] i watched a handful of minnesota games this year and, wow, what a world of difference rachel banham has made for that team. now, i know it would be tough to get a pg of her caliber to sdsu---but, imagine what it would do for this team to have a pg that can take it to the basket and finish (banham can hit the 3, also). we've seen "flashes" of it, but, the consistency hasn't been there. things would open up so much more. to have that threat game in and game out would be huge. imo, would make everyone better.[/QUOTE

My point is before you are able to score you need to get the ball in a position to score. It was a disaster watching our guards bring the ball up the floor even just one on one. Nobody would just get the step and blow by the defender, even when they had the step they would relax and the defender would catch up. The guard from Minnesota is a good player who averages 16 a game and the team is 17-17. Our offense at SDSU if you can push the ball up the middle and get to the lane the kick out or trailer pass is wide open. So all I am suggesting is that typically a player that starts will get 6-8 points on defensive breakdowns and a couple of free throws. You still need to be able to knock down an occasional three or jumper.

PG just need to protect the ball, get into the offense and play lock down defense and you will AlWAYS have a spot on the team.

Comment

Waytashek was about to start when her injury took her out in Jan. 10. So she should get a medical redshirt for the 11-12 season as she didn't play due to that injury. If MN can get Mbakwe back after 7 games, SDSU should get Waytashek back for an added season. By mid-season, if healthy (likely) Megan will probably be starting, likely making Lingle the first off the bench.

I am excited about this program. I am a bit surprised if AJ isn't on Big10, Big12 radar for a WBB coach. He has gaudy success here at SDSU. I know Indiana released their WBB coach.

Comment

Glad to see Terry reporting that Aaron is out recruiting junior college point guards. Just don't see enough talent at that position for the Jacks to improve on what they have accomplished.

Comment

I'd like to see us build our program like Gonzaga has,or Marist and UWGB ,all it takes from there is a stud or two, and you have a top 25 competitor.We had a top 25 team, and the natural reaction from fans,once they've had a taste of that,is.....give me more.I think we are getting there, but the nature of the fan is....hurry up!If we can improve each recruiting class to bigger, faster , quicker, more skilled,I'll be happyThat being said,i think we have the right coaching staff in place to accomplish great things for the basketball program.

Comment

When you're in the midst of it, it is sometimes tough to recognize that Jacks ARE THERE. SDSU Jacks are on a 6-0 post season run in women's BB! Only reason that Jacks didn't represent the SUmmit earlier, is because hadn't cleared transition yet.

Jacks will be the targeted team next season. ORU is gone from the Summit. UMKC lost their head coach. Jacks can be in the national rankings again, IF THE TEAM WINS THOSE EARLY OOC's against the BCS schools, and the other top mids that are played. AJ has done fabulous in scheduling BCS teams into Frost the last 4 years, as well as getting them into the "upper teams" pools of early season tourneys. Only Marquette and Wazzou didn't play post season this year. SDSU played 15 games against teams in the NCAA & WNIT tourneys. Jacks were 2-5 vs NCAA teams, and 5-3 vs WNIT teams. Out of 12 non-conference teams 10 were playing post-season. And the two teams that missed were both BCS conference teams. When Jacks win against such a schedule, and Summit starts filling the WNIT and possible at large in NCAA's, they'll be ranked again. Unfortunately, as a midmajor, don't get the notice, unless have the 30-2 type record. 25-7 as a mid doesn't garner the respect.

SDSU is part of the upper crust of the mids. Gonzaga, Marist, Middle TN, UALR, UWGB are the peers, and Jacks match them well.

Comment

Tweet from coach AJ today:

Enjoyed the first spring workout with the team. Fun to see guards pick up new concepts. We'll have a different look on offense next year.
                      "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                        Tweet from coach AJ today:

Enjoyed the first spring workout with the team. Fun to see guards pick up new concepts. We'll have a different look on offense next year.
                        Anyone want to break that down to have an idea of what we should expect to see? Hopefully getting back to the running rabbits, that would be nice to see IMO.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                          Anyone want to break that down to have an idea of what we should expect to see? Hopefully getting back to the running rabbits, that would be nice to see IMO.
                          Yep! Here's a piece from one of TV's blogs:

Coach Aaron Johnston said after an NCAA tournament loss at Purdue that he expects the squad to get back to pushing the pace next year in light of expanded depth and experience at the point guard spot. That makes sense considering the Jacks lose their best post scorer (Sunnarborg) and their best shooter (Young). Plus, Johnston was pleased with the progress of freshman Gabby Boever late in the season.
                          "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Pushing the pace should lead to less flat-footed passing around the top of the key. Maybe that will cut down on the turnover issues that have plagued this team the last few years. It all depends on how well the guards can handle the ball. As we saw in the Purdue game, there is some room for improvement there.

Comment

Tweet from AJ today:

Another good day on the court with the team. We are liking the direction of the offense.

Comment

What's the latest on Steph Paluch?????
                                When you put on that jersey, the name on the front is more important than the name on the back.

Comment

Working...
                                X