Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Future

I think we need somebody that is willing to put the team on their shoulders and carry them when it's needed. We have been really good as a team, but we haven't had someone like that since Wark graduated.

She carried that team night in and night out. That's the difference between that team and the one's we have had the last few years.

I don't think the talent level has dropped, it's just missing that one person who can turn it on when they want.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
      What do we need to get beyond the first round of the NCAA playoffs? Is winning the conference and Summit League Tournament and qualifying with a low seed enough? What kind of player are we lacking to make some noise in the tournament?
      This is my take on the program that brings so much joy to Jacks Fans:

Note: these are not problems in our conference. We will always be a tough out in this league.

1. One big glaring problem is the quality of our guard play. We don't need a point guard that has to score 10 points a night we need a guard that is not afraid to take it in the paint and really not afraid to use their weaker hand. Good point guards for the record do not have a weaker hand.

2. We have no speed or quickness on the perimeter. Hard to get clean looks when we are not quick enough to get open and just pull the trigger. (we tend to stand around)

Bottom line: How many of our guards would have started on any other team in our league?

3. Post shooting percentage: When your leading scorer is a post player they better shot better than the 43% we were getting this year. In this case Percentage did not match ability.

4. I do not see right now the player that is going to make it happen for us next year: (Pater, Schlagel, Wark, Boever, Sunny, ????)

5. We need to get a couple of players that can give us 30-33 minutes a game.

6. AJ said this team was a better team than we have ever had at SDSU. (Eyeball test sure looked different)

We will always compete for the conference, but will be one and done in the tournament unless we get at least a 10 seed. We are a long ways from that.

I was at the game at Purdue and we shot lights out the first half but when Purdue started to pressure we had no answer.

Comment

Towards the end of the season Ashley Eide really started to step up her game, I think she is probably the one who is going to step up next year and lead this team. If not by words, by example. If the desire is there and I think it is, I would hope to see these ladies get together this summer and work together to get over the problem areas of the last few seasons, ie turnovers, and come back next year and tear the league a new one.

Comment

Again. This is not a team. It's a program. Can we just cut and paste this thread for the end of every year?

We'll get there.
          With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Chloe is a very quick PG with good ball handling skills. Having seen her play multilpe times, she is quicker than anyone on the team this year. She has struggled offensively in the past but did improve considerably this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
              Again. This is not a team. It's a program. Can we just cut and paste this thread for the end of every year?

We'll get there.
              +1

Seems that every season we talk about how it will be hard to replace what the team is losing with the outgoing senior class. This program will always have players to step up and fill the positions that become available. Until I see some type of proof that the program is going in the wrong direction, I know that the team that steps onto the court the following season will be just a prepared, just as talented, and just as successful as the one before. AJ and his staff are tremendous at looking years into the future to see where this team is going.
              -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                +1

Seems that every season we talk about how it will be hard to replace what the team is losing with the outgoing senior class. This program will always have players to step up and fill the positions that become available. Until I see some type of proof that the program is going in the wrong direction, I know that the team that steps onto the court the following season will be just a prepared, just as talented, and just as successful as the one before. AJ and his staff are tremendous at looking years into the future to see where this team is going.
                One way I look at it is how many players join the record books. How many 1000 pt scorers or 3 pt shooters who will hit 200 plus etc. Not saying the current group doesn't have people capable but there is no clear cut leaders for those roles. The last 4-6 years there was always the obvious choice. This year just doesn't have the automatic choice. Plus its fun to talk about it.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonRabbit View Post
                  Chloe is a very quick PG with good ball handling skills. Having seen her play multilpe times, she is quicker than anyone on the team this year. She has struggled offensively in the past but did improve considerably this year.
                  Never seen her play and have not heard much buzz about her. i know she committed early, but did she have other DI programs calling. Sometimes I wonder if the coaching staff gets caught up in the legacy thing. Is she a player they would have recruited if Ketty had not been so successful? Same with Boever...Both younger sisters are very different players.

Comment

I am not worried about the women. If anything. I see this year's team (2011-2012) as, as close to a rebuilding year as we have seen at SDSU and honestly, even though we lose Jenny and Jill (BOTH AMAZING FANTASTIC Players) I think we are going to jump forward a huge amount next year.

Of this years class of unknowns, I would say Gabby impressed me the most. She, with honestly two years off between game time atmosphere, really improved as the year went on. At the beginning of the year I was nervous to see the ball in her hands. As the year went on I was hoping she would be the one handling the ball, her court vision is amazing. She sees lanes that most don't and as she gets more confident is going to become a legitimate threat to shoot as well. She wasn't the quickest player on the court, but I think a lot of that was getting confidence on the court. She had flashes of a very good quick move. I think she is going to be a great player for us.

The person I am most excited about in the post position of the younger players is Clarin. What limited minutes she got this year, she produced numbers. Go look at her playing time versus her output... now picture her a year stronger and more used to the speed of the game. I expect her to have a huge role next year. Probably off the bench, but I bet first or second off.

Walters is going to be a star, her numbers are only going to skyrocket. She is as good a shooter as Jill with more height and honestly, more of a threat to drive it in the lane, which will make her all that much harder to guard.

From what I have heard Stewart is a major player Didn't see her enough to give a real evaluation but even if next year isn't her year she will get minutes.

Megan we know has the ability to be amazing, but could come out a bit rusty.

I love Strops game and could see her becoming the emotional leader of this team. She steps on the court and just flat out gives 110 percent. she is tough, can shoot and can play in the lane... she wants the ball and as her leadership grows will only get stronger.

IMO the weakest player on the team is Leah D., not because she is a bad player, just the opposite, but because teams know if she is out of the lane, she will not shoot the ball. How many times this year, especially in the tournament did we see her get the ball wide open from the FT to the top of the Key and the opposing D drop off 5-6 feet and her not take a shot? That has to be addressed.

I guess if I am playing the predict the starters for next year (Making the assumption that Steph will NOT be available next year) I would say...

POST - Lingle
                    WING - Strop
                    WING - Dietel
                    Guard - Eide
                    POINT - Boever

Heiser, Clarin, Wolters, Megan W., Stewart - all will have significant minutes
                    Not sure how much playing time will be there for the Freshmen but one of them is going to have to be that back-up point guard by the end of the season.

Comment

Anyone have any insight on when Waytashek will know if she gets a medical redshirt this year? When does info like that usually come out?
                      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Here's a prediction: At least 9 players will average more than ten minutes a game. How is that for stepping out on a limb?

IMO it doesn't really matter who does or doesn't start for our women's team because of the fact so many players get big minutes. Getting this experience is a big reason you see the Jacks winning on a consistent basis year after year. It may lead to some less than beautiful team performances early in the season, but it pays off handsomely in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
                          Here's a prediction: At least 9 players will average more than ten minutes a game. How is that for stepping out on a limb?

IMO it doesn't really matter who does or doesn't start for our women's team because of the fact so many players get big minutes. Getting this experience is a big reason you see the Jacks winning on a consistent basis year after year. It may lead to some less than beautiful team performances early in the season, but it pays off handsomely in the end.
                          Also a lot rarer for the Jacks than other teams in Summit to have a Feb/Mar slump. This is due to not wearing out due to excessive playing time. ORU seemed to suffer this fate for at least the last two years.

Comment

Originally posted by leeshajo View Post
                            The person I am most excited about in the post position of the younger players is Clarin. What limited minutes she got this year, she produced numbers. Go look at her playing time versus her output... now picture her a year stronger and more used to the speed of the game. I expect her to have a huge role next year. Probably off the bench, but I bet first or second off.
                            I try to temper my excitement about a player's potential, but it's really hard with Clarin.

Mariah's first step is the quickest I've seen out of any Jackrabbit over the years, and that includes our guards. The best part is, she isn't giving up any size playing the 4 spot at 6'1" and she appears to have the body control to not let her speed put her out-of-position to make a play.

She needs to improve her footwork and her shooting, but it's very exciting to think of how dominate she could be with a little polish.
                            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                            - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                              I try to temper my excitement about a player's potential, but it's really hard with Clarin.

Mariah's first step is the quickest I've seen out of any Jackrabbit over the years, and that includes our guards. The best part is, she isn't giving up any size playing the 4 spot at 6'1" and she appears to have the body control to not let her speed put her out-of-position to make a play.

She needs to improve her footwork and her shooting, but it's very exciting to think of how dominate she could be with a little polish.
                              Agree 100%...I don't remember a post player we've had with as quick a first step as she has. She also had 52 FT attempts in 158 minutes of action. If she comes anywhere near that ratio with increased minutes (and an increased FT%), she is going to be real hard for anyone to handle.
                              "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post

Didnt AJ say she was the best athlete he has coached or brought in so far? I thought I remember hearing something about how on the team she was the best conditioned and best athlete or something along those lines.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X