2012 recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 recruits

Being in a BCS conference sells to recruits, that is a fact. I don't care how good SDSU basketball is, how good of a chance they have to go to the dance, the fact is prior the this year, no one outside of the mid-west had heard of the school, and that is after the women were relevant and had some good years. You mention Nebraska, or Utah, and people say big time. Even if their bball programs are pathetic.

Gonzaga and to a lesser point Creighton have a history of tournament runs, a history of selling out their arena's, a history of being ranked, etc. SDSU has 1 tournament appearance as a 14 seed. So I don't think SDSU is worth comparing to those two.

I'm glad SDSU fans want these type of recruits, and not only want to beat a Nebraska in recruiting, but expect to. But I don't want this to come to the why did we lose X recruit to a BCS school, even if they are a bottom feeder.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
      Do not understand the defeatism inherent in this and bet the fandom/players/coaches at VCU or Gonzaga don't agree with this. ...
      VCU is 2 years removed from a final four run and Gonzaga is on a 15 year run of success. Are you really comparing them to our first 20 win season in Divison I? Besides NovaJack, given your current location you are fully aware that it is much easier to get a recruit to VCU than it would be to Brookings. But, I truly hope we can get ourselves to the Gonzaga level....nothing would make me happier.

JoeBoo.....Anthony Davis was going to come to State, but when he said he would be one and done, Nagy backed off. We have higher standards at SDSU and it would have destroyed our graduation rate.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
        I completely disagree too. It is what it is.

I just think with just joining the Big Ten, adding Tim Miles as your coach, and builiding the brand new basketball arena you're going to have a ton of success down there. That's my opinion. Obviously you don't agree and apparently you have a problem with it.

(http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.d...CLID=204989029)

(http://www.huskers.com/mediaPortal/p...4102&id=720856)
        I'm often confused about the Miles worship. He did ok at CSU but lets be honest, he left the school in a situation which could lead to a ban on postseason play. It is still about education right? I guess that is unless you play for Tim Miles. I hope NU put in his contract that they will not accept academic failure.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
          I'm often confused about the Miles worship. He did ok at CSU but lets be honest, he left the school in a situation which could lead to a ban on postseason play. It is still about education right? I guess that is unless you play for Tim Miles. I hope NU put in his contract that they will not accept academic failure.
          When has major college basketball ever been about education? It's about winning and making money.
          Originally posted by JackFan96
          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
            VCU is 2 years removed from a final four run and Gonzaga is on a 15 year run of success. Are you really comparing them to our first 20 win season in Divison I? Besides NovaJack, given your current location you are fully aware that it is much easier to get a recruit to VCU than it would be to Brookings. But, I truly hope we can get ourselves to the Gonzaga level....nothing would make me happier.

JoeBoo.....Anthony Davis was going to come to State, but when he said he would be one and done, Nagy backed off. We have higher standards at SDSU and it would have destroyed our graduation rate.
            Yeah, I am comparing them, on aspiration and expectation. Your philosophy - can't recruit this, can't compete with that - would have the Jacks never getting to the Gonzaga or VCU level of success. Or do you believe their success just came out of the blue and not because they aspired to it or expected it?
            You've helped make my point with your observations about VCU. In this neck of the woods, VCU is far, far, far down on the pecking order as a desirable university/location. It's actually in a pretty sketchy area of Richmond, a city that perenially has one of the highest murder/crime rates in the country. Academically, VCU is generally viewed as behind UVA, Virginia Tech, George Mason, James Madison, William and Mary, maybe even Longwood, as far Virginia schools. Recruits don't go there for the social life or scenery. Recruits from Virginia might consider playing ACC ball at Tech or Virginia or Maryland or Wake or one of the North Carolina schools, but some opt for the greater chance at getting into the Big Dance at the Mid Major level via VCU, or the opportunity to play for a dynamic young coach who expects to win no matter who he plays. It's only relatively recently that the VCU bandwagon has been moving (and has had to compete with George Mason, which is essentially a commuter school - not exactly another selling point for recruits). At both places, coaches had a heck of a lot more to do with their success than geography or history. The fact that Smart stayed at VCU despite being recruited by major conference schools was seen as an affirmation of exactly the kind of recruiting and philosophy I would hope any Jacks' fan would aspire to.
            So, yeah, I have every expectation that the Jacks be compared with VCU or any other successful mid-major,and sooner rather than later.
            As for the Anthony Davis quip, I assume that is tongue in cheek? There are probably 315 D-1 Schools that were not in the running there so that red herring can be fried for dinner.

Comment

As for the Anthony Davis quip, I assume that is tongue in cheek? There are probably 315 D-1 Schools that were not in the running there so that red herring can be fried for dinner.
              Your philosophy - can't recruit this, can't compete with that - would have the Jacks never getting to the Kentucky or UNC level of success.

You've helped make my point with your observations about Anthony Davis. In this neck of the woods, Kentucky is far, far, far down on the pecking order as a desirable university/location. It's actually in a pretty sketchy area of Kentucky, a state that perenially has one of the highest redneck rates in the country. Academically, Kentucky is generally viewed as behind schools that teaching writing and reading maybe even some high schools in other states. Recruits don't go there for the academics.

So, yeah, I have every expectation that the Jacks be compared with Kentucky or any other successful major,and sooner rather than later.
              Originally posted by JackFan96
              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Ugh... this thread has really veered off from its original intent.

All I can say there is nothing "definite" about recruiting, so please quit using adverbs like "always" and "never." Recruiting is a case by case scenario and there is no "one size fits all," so it would be great if we could talk about individual recruits (preferably in the 2012 class) rather than this mythical, general student athlete.
                If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                - Steven Wright

Comment

Yeah I'm with Kemo

Lets keep this for 2012 recruits, not what schools we should beat in recruiting and why

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                    Your philosophy - can't recruit this, can't compete with that - would have the Jacks never getting to the Kentucky or UNC level of success.

You've helped make my point with your observations about Anthony Davis. [COL OR=#333333]In this neck of the woods, Kentucky is far, far, far down on the pecking order as a desirable university/location. It's actually in a pretty sketchy area of Kentucky, a state that perenially has one of the highest redneck rates in the country. [/COLOR]Academically, Kentucky is generally viewed as behind schools that teaching writing and reading maybe even some high schools in other states. Recruits don't go there for the academics.

So, yeah, I have every expectation that the Jacks be compared with Kentucky or any other successful major,and sooner rather than later.
                    I always thought Lexington was one of the best places in Kentucky. Also didn't know that Kentucky had a bad academic reputation.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
                      I always thought Lexington was one of the best places in Kentucky. Also didn't know that Kentucky had a bad academic reputation.
                      They don't. They have the best APR in the SEC. 3.0 team GPA last year
                      "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Yeah, I am comparing them, on aspiration and expectation. Your philosophy - can't recruit this, can't compete with that - would have the Jacks never getting to the Gonzaga or VCU level of success. Or do you believe their success just came out of the blue and not because they aspired to it or expected it?
                        You've helped make my point with your observations about VCU. In this neck of the woods, VCU is far, far, far down on the pecking order as a desirable university/location. It's actually in a pretty sketchy area of Richmond, a city that perenially has one of the highest murder/crime rates in the country. Academically, VCU is generally viewed as behind UVA, Virginia Tech, George Mason, James Madison, William and Mary, maybe even Longwood, as far Virginia schools. Recruits don't go there for the social life or scenery. Recruits from Virginia might consider playing ACC ball at Tech or Virginia or Maryland or Wake or one of the North Carolina schools, but some opt for the greater chance at getting into the Big Dance at the Mid Major level via VCU, or the opportunity to play for a dynamic young coach who expects to win no matter who he plays. It's only relatively recently that the VCU bandwagon has been moving (and has had to compete with George Mason, which is essentially a commuter school - not exactly another selling point for recruits). At both places, coaches had a heck of a lot more to do with their success than geography or history. The fact that Smart stayed at VCU despite being recruited by major conference schools was seen as an affirmation of exactly the kind of recruiting and philosophy I would hope any Jacks' fan would aspire to.
                        So, yeah, I have every expectation that the Jacks be compared with VCU or any other successful mid-major,and sooner rather than later.
                        Last point and I'm done.....your talking city and I'm talking area. They are a stone's throw from Washington DC, Baltimore, and whatever other major city you want to speak of and also have a ton of athletic talent in that area. They can get recruits and have them play in front of family and friends.

We are a stones throw from Wall Drug and the Corn Palace.....apples and oranges my friend. I like blueberry pie, how about you?

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                          They don't. They have the best APR in the SEC. 3.0 team GPA last year

Yeah, but that helps when you have a ton of 1 and dones. You can take poor acedemic students and make them solid students for a year, or a semester for that matter, its a bit harder to do that over a longer period. It also puts more weight on that 1 guy who stays with the team 4 years and has a 4.0

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                            And I'm not just talking about RPI and how they've done on the court the past few years. You do realize what they're building down there right now right?

I follow the basketball team a ton and love the sport, but if Nebraska offered me and my other choice was SDSU I'd be an idiot not to go to Nebraska and play for Miles. There is no comparison.
                            You are entitled to your opinion as am I. Based on this post it is possible that you are already what you said you would become if the scenario above played out.

I hope the kid chooses SDSU and if he does he will not regret it.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Just had some laughing cow cheese on celery sticks, pretty damn good. Do you suppose the new cheese plant will be a recruiting tool?
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                                You are entitled to your opinion as am I. Based on this post it is possible that you are already what you said you would become if the scenario above played out.

I hope the kid chooses SDSU and if he does he will not regret it.
                                MD, haven't you heard? There is absolutely no way this recruit will or should commit to the Jacks nor is there any way any of us should ever expect it, cheering as we do for a school in little 'ol Brookings that should not ever dare to compete with the mighty Nebraskas of the basketball world. After all, the perennial basketball powerhouse Nebraska plays Northwestern and Penn State occasionally on the Big 10 network.

Comment

Working...
                                X