2012 recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 recruits

excellent signings so far. Let's hope their performance equals our hopes.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
      Bisonville would enjoy a couple of the statements in that article... specifically, "I come from a real small town in California, kind of a rural area known for gold mining. We’re living in the past a little bit, here. I went back there and I got that same feel."

Might as well own it, I guess. I'm sure it wasn't meant to cast Brookings (or his home area) in a negative light.

Its interesting that coaches from other schools don't stress winning as much as ours did.

"Talking with the coaches, the emphasis on getting back to the tournament and winning some games is huge – I loved that. At all the other programs, that wasn’t a focal point."

That just seems weird.

I'm starting to get the feeling that if we make the tournament (and fingers crossed win a game) next year, next's year's recruits could be AMAZING.
      Good post. Be careful, though: Aspirations alert, sky is not limit, can't compete with the big boys, etc., etc.

Comment

This class will as important as the 2009 class or maybe even more important than the 2009. This class, the first recruiting class after making the tourney will determine whether the Jacks will be consistent contenders or a contender every 4 years. If the Jacks make it to the tourney again, the next recruiting class will be even better, but this class of 2012 can determine the future of Jacks basketball for good or bad. Every one of these recruits needs to have an important role like the 2009 and none of them can underachieve if the team wants to consistently contend.
        "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Kory Brown signed with North Dakota State (who were the 1st D-I school to offer him)

Comment

Here is an article about Donlan with insight of his recruitment from SDSU. I also expect the crowd to chant "Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, OYY, OYY, OYY" when he plays.

http://norcalpreps.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1364711

Go State!!!
            Go Jacks!!!
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Interesting, Matt was interested in International Business but it was not offered at SDSU. With daily changes in global markets, the degree might be outdated before he has a chance to apply in the job market. On the other hand perhaps SDSU needs to look into adding an international course of study. We are in a global economy, something that was hardly mentioned in the mid 1960's. This is a course of study I as an econ alum would support with donations. I am glad we got Donlon on board though. His GPA, he seems to indicate that he wants an education besides the a trip back to the Big Dance. Definitely a great fit for SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                Interesting, Matt was interested in International Business but it was not offered at SDSU. With daily changes in global markets, the degree might be outdated before he has a chance to apply in the job market. On the other hand perhaps SDSU needs to look into adding an international course of study. We are in a global economy, something that was hardly mentioned in the mid 1960's. This is a course of study I as an econ alum would support with donations. I am glad we got Donlon on board though. His GPA, he seems to indicate that he wants an education besides the a trip back to the Big Dance. Definitely a great fit for SDSU.
                This could be said of most any degree offered these days.

IMO, one doesn't go to college to get a degree anymore, but rather to:

-Learn how to learn
                -Begin to understand what it means to be an adult
                -Learn to socialize and fit in in society
                -Attain a pedigree (piece of paper) required to proceed down the life path they want
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

-Learn how to learn
                  -Attain a pedigree (piece of paper) required to proceed down the life path they want
                  The best bartenders have college degrees, just an observation on my part.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

-Learn how to learn
                    Yes Degrees are union cards that open the door of opportunity. I can only speak for myself and in my time which has changed a great deal.

Comment

-Learn how to learn
                      I couldn't agree more. I enjoy asking people that I meet what their degrees are in. I recently spoke to a drug manufacturer representative with a degree in sports management. Yesterday someone asked what career is likely for the holder of a degree in amimal science. What diverse answers are there for that one?
                      Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
                        I couldn't agree more. I enjoy asking people that I meet what their degrees are in. I recently spoke to a drug manufacturer representative with a degree in sports management. Yesterday someone asked what career is likely for the holder of a degree in amimal science. What diverse answers are there for that one?
                        How about selling Purina at the local feed store for starters? If you are in charge of 100 head of cattle, you need a little more than Farmer's Home Journal.

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
                          I think the value of a degree really depends on whether a person is willing to go where the jobs are. I graduated with a Bachelor's in 2010 and had possible job opportunities that would have paid what my degree is worth and would have required me to move. However, I wanted to be close to my roots and took a job that has nothing to do with my degree and doesn't pay that good (people with high school diplomas make more than me based on experience.) Just having a job where I live is an accomplishment!

Comment

I like to tell students that their major prepares them for thier first job and their college education prepares them for their career. In my opinion, the courses outside of one's major are as important if not more important than those in the major. Most of us have many opportunities during our lifetime to do many different things. As one of the posters above says the degree and perhaps more fundamentally the major opens the door to employment, but where one goes from that initial starting point is frequently related to the breath of their vision and the breath of ones vision is frequently related to the breath of their edcuational and experiential learning. That is why you very frequently see people who have been out of school awhile in positions that are not very closely related to their majors. And for new graduates, the same is true, the broader their education the broader their potential opportunities. Most employers will tell you that one of the most valued skills is communication ability.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
                              I like to tell students that their major prepares them for thier first job and their college education prepares them for their career. In my opinion, the courses outside of one's major are as important if not more important than those in the major. Most of us have many opportunities during our lifetime to do many different things. As one of the posters above says the degree and perhaps more fundamentally the major opens the door to employment, but where one goes from that initial starting point is frequently related to the breath of their vision and the breath of ones vision is frequently related to the breath of their edcuational and experiential learning. That is why you very frequently see people who have been out of school awhile in positions that are not very closely related to their majors. And for new graduates, the same is true, the broader their education the broader their potential opportunities. Most employers will tell you that one of the most valued skills is communication ability.
                              Thread drift is inevitable and can occur within any thread at anytime. It is not unique to certain topics and certainly not unique to specific forums. It is viewed with varying levels of disdain and that level of disdain is usually directly related to the viewpoint of the reader.

That said, I like our 2012 recruiting class and hope they reach their potential ahead of schedule. Anyone know what the other guys plan to major in? I've got 3rd year med students that still don't know what they want to do with their lives.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                                Thread drift is inevitable and can occur within any thread at anytime. It is not unique to certain topics and certainly not unique to specific forums. It is viewed with varying levels of disdain and that level of disdain is usually directly related to the viewpoint of the reader.

That said, I like our 2012 recruiting class and hope they reach their potential ahead of schedule. Anyone know what the other guys plan to major in? I've got 3rd year med students that still don't know what they want to do with their lives.
                                They have company: This study http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1496827.html says half of recent college graduates don't have jobs, much less jobs in their field of study

Comment

Working...
                                X