Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cal Poly - GDT

Three random thoughts:

1. I would love to see some emotion, too. Because I get emotional, I think others should be that way when winning or losing, too. Sometimes, I get upset when others don't and perceive it as not caring. Nagy, though, seems to want the players to have more of an "act like you've been there" mentality. Maybe that's why there isn't more emotion shown. I'm not sure. But I am sure he wasn't talking about that mindset in terms of losing.

2. A comment I made to a buddy last night that got a laugh even though it was painful or a bit too true: "If the men don't start playing better and winning a few games, pretty soon people are going to stop talking about the football game at Montana."

3. Not scoring from the floor in nearly eight minutes of college basketball is just unacceptable. I don't know what else to say. We should be able to make a few hoops in that amount of time against Kansas or Duke...or even the Timberwolves. (OK, ESPECIALLY against the Timberwolves.)

That's all I've got. Merry Christmas, everybody.
    Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
      You can't coach people who dont want to listen. Nagy has tried and is at wits end. Some care for their own statistics than the teams.
      ummm, Nagy recruited this group, so he is accountable for being able to motivate them. right or wrong, their intensity level is on him. if they want to start sacrificing for the program like so many before them did, then he needs to find a way to reach them. if you aren't going to win games, then at least do it with guys who will play their a$$ off. lack of effort is no excuse. effort takes no talent, just desire. just my two cents. i for one, get tired of the "i don't know what to do anymore" mentality. someone needs to step up and start taking accountability, consistently passing the buck needs to stop with SOMEONE!

Comment

we can all feel better though, wisconsin is only up 31 in the first half on cal-poly... what a joke.

Comment

There needs to be emtion in practice! Someone needs to get pissed that he is getting bumped in practice everytime and throw down and land some punches. Someone needs to get in someones face.

Does anyone change their expression during a game. Does Kai talk at all when he plays? Get in someones grill, bump someones chest besides your own. Kai should have a couple dunks a game but that would require getting to the lane and finishing!

Funny thing is usually when you have two players with a 1000 pts on the same team, you have some success. Players with the numbers they have would usually be considered greats at SDSU, but these guys are just your average scorers and offer nothing else.

I will be there on Saturday saying a prayer, I am a season ticket holder but my seats suck, so if anyone has two for my son and I that are not being used let me know. I want to get closer to the action!

GB GB GJ

Comment

In hindsight, this was HUGE game for SDSU. If we win everybody is stoked that we're .500 and have won a few in a row. A loss and everybody is mad that we piss another one away, against a seemingly inferior team, at home no less.

There is still room for improvement, still alot of winnable games left. Still, dare I say it, hope.

Comment

Anyone see Nagy's latest tweet.

"The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
              -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by hoops_guy View Post
                we can all feel better though, wisconsin is only up 31 in the first half on cal-poly... what a joke.
                Wisconsin 90
                Cal-Poly 42

We must've wore them out Tues. night.
                "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                  Wisconsin 90
                  Cal-Poly 42

We must've wore them out Tues. night.
                  All I can do is laugh!

Comment

Maybe the problem is as simple as the players aren't as good as we made them up to be.
                    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

• Re: Cal Poly - GDT

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                      Maybe the problem is as simple as the players aren't as good as we made them up to be.
                      Bad players wouldn't have been able to beat Wyoming, play Purdue tough as nails, and have a Conference USA team down by 20.

I still think the talent is there, we just need to play harder and be mentally tough for a full 40 minutes. We've had the same problem for the last 5 years. A 3-7 minute lapse in intensity and focus costs us the game.
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                        Bad players wouldn't have been able to beat Wyoming, play Purdue tough as nails, and have a Conference USA team down by 20.

I still think the talent is there, we just need to play harder and be mentally tough for a full 40 minutes. We've had the same problem for the last 5 years. A 3-7 minute lapse in intensity and focus costs us the game.
                        I didn't say they were "bad players." I would say perhaps "overvalued" would be a better term to use. We all talked about how great AC is as a post player...but we can't have him on the floor in crunch time because of his FT liability. The fact that we tend to be a 3-point shooting team makes his absence even greater. Those 3-7 minute lapses don't happen if you have a guy you can count on in the post to run the offense thru when late in games with a lead.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                          I didn't say they were "bad players." I would say perhaps "overvalued" would be a better term to use. We all talked about how great AC is as a post player...but we can't have him on the floor in crunch time because of his FT liability. The fact that we tend to be a 3-point shooting team makes his absence even greater. Those 3-7 minute lapses don't happen if you have a guy you can count on in the post to run the offense thru when late in games with a lead.

Just my 2 cents.
                          I would say "underperforming." But at this point we are basically arguing semantics.

I think Fiegen has stepped up very nicely while AC is slumping, and IMO, the lapses have just as more to do with defense than they do with offense.
                          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                            I would say "underperforming." But at this point we are basically arguing semantics.

I think Fiegen has stepped up very nicely while AC is slumping, and IMO, the lapses have just as more to do with defense than they do with offense.
                            How about "underexcelling?"

Good point on the defense. But, when the team has to rely on the young guys like they are so far this year I think that will happen. I just hate having the feeling that no matter how well the team plays there will be no shutting the door.

Comment

Holy bad loss batman.

I listened to the game waiting for our upper classmen to lead us to victory on our home floor over a really bad Poly team, especially bad on the road. When we lost I almost talked myself into not caring. Then I realized how much worse apathy is for a program than criticism. A lot a people just don't care about SDSU men's basketball right now, I think that is a very bad thing. Some people don't want to hear anybody being critical of an underachieving team, that is nearly as bad as not caring.

If these guys right the ship and play to their potential this loss will be easily forgotten. If not, well I prefer not to think about that with Christmas right around the corner. As for specifics, if you don't have anything nice to say......
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                              X