Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Central Florida

Great win Jacks!!!!!!!!!!

I caught the first half but missed the second half due to a meeting. I should have skipped the meeting. Nice interview with Steve Holdren at half time, sounds like his knee is healing and he should be 100% next year. Can anyone post Nagy's post game comments.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert

I told you guys so.  Didn't I tell you so?  I told you so . . .

And again,

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
      HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Doesn't count when you say it about every game. ;D
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbitdw

I caught the first half but missed the second half due to a meeting. I should have skipped the meeting. Nice interview with Steve Holdren at half time, sounds like his knee is healing and he should be 100% next year. Can anyone post Nagy's post game comments.
        Nagy was happy. Got the result he expected after a bit a few reprimands at halftime. Asked Cadwell to shoot the bal, lead the team. Hopes things can carry over to the long road trip ahead.

Just as a loss is one loss, a win is only one win. This team needs to carry this over to Idaho St. and beat a team that most of us would have expected them to beat at the beginning of the year. Now, I have higher expectations as I hope the team does. I look for the Jacks to take 2 of the next 3 before returning to Frost to face a decent DII team in SW State.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbitdw

I was too excited with the win to remember many of his comments. The couple of comments I remember were, told Cadwell to stop passing up shots and take the open shot and comments about needing Frias with his quickness/toughness to help improve the defense.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd

Doesn't count when you say it about every game. ;D
            I HAD to be right sooner or later!
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

South Dakota St. stuns UCF

The Orlando Sentinel expresses disbelief:
              There were lots of reasons, but very few words being used afterward to describe what likely will be remembered as one of the worst losses in UCF's basketball history.

In its biggest second-half collapse of the season, UCF fell 69-64 to South Dakota State on Wednesday night in its final non-conference game of the season.

As fans filed out of UCF Arena, one black-and-gold-clad student asked a nearby friend: "Did we just lose to a high-school team?"

Not quite. But the Jackrabbits (5-12) are in their final year of their Division I transition, and in actuality, it likely never should have been in the game.
              Heh. Fear the Rabbit!
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

From http://www.gojacks.com/

01/18/2006
                Cadwell sparks Jackrabbit rally past UCF

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Matt Cadwell matched a career high with 26 points, including the go-ahead three pointer in the final minute, as South Dakota State rallied from a 17-point halftime deficit to defeat Central Florida, 69-64, Wednesday night in men's basketball action.

With their first road victory of the season, the Jackrabbits improved to 5-12. Central Florida, a first-year member of Conference USA, dropped to 7-8 overall.

After spotting UCF an early 6-0 lead, SDSU came back to take its first lead of the night at 12-11 on a Cadwell three-pointer with 13:31 remaining in the first half. For Cadwell, it would be his only field goal of the half as he overcame a 1-for-7 effort in the first 20 minutes to make 5-of-7 field goal attempts, including a pair of three pointers, en route to 19 second-half points.

The two teams traded baskets for the next few minutes before the Golden Knights went on a 10-0 run midway through the half to open a double-digit lead and take a 43-26 lead into the intermission. UCF made 17-of-26 field goal attempts in the first half, 65.4 percent.

SDSU opened the second half with a 6-0 run in the first minute and a half to get back to within 11. However, the Golden Knights continued to hold a double-digit lead for much of the second half, including a 58-48 advantage with 9:41 remaining in the game.

UCF would score only six more points the rest of the way as the Jackrabbit defense limited the Golden Knights to 6-of-26 shooting, 23.1 percent.

While the Jackrabbit defense was clamping down, the SDSU offense also began to click. A 9-0 run brought the Jacks to within one, 58-57, with five and a half minutes to play.

Cadwell, a redshirt freshman from St. Paul, Minn., tied the game at 62 with a layup at the 2:24 mark, then gave the Jackrabbits their first lead of the second half as he drained a three-pointer with 55 seconds remaining to put SDSU up 65-62. After a UCF miss, Cadwell, who was a perfect 11-for-11 at the free throw line, was fouled and drained both free throws to give the Jackrabbits a five-point cushion.

Eric Heien added a pair of free throws in the closing seconds to seal the victory.

The Jackrabbits finished the game 22-of-25 at the stripe, 88 percent, and also converted 7-of-13 three-point attempts for 53.8 percent. Overall from the field, SDSU shot 42.6 percent, 20-of-47.

Despite cooling off considerably in the second half, UCF held the edge in shooting at 44.2 percent, 23-of-52. The Golden Knights were 5-of-20 on three-pointers, 25 percent, and 13-of-20 at the line, 65 percent.

Josh Peppers led UCF with 15 points, followed by Anthony Williams with 13.

Andre Gilbert also reached double figures for the Jackrabbits with 11 points.

Rebounds were nearly even as UCF held a 33-30 advantage. Cadwell grabbed a career-high nine boards to lead all players. Justin Rose led UCF with seven rebounds.

SDSU continues play on the road Jan. 25 at Idaho State. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. Mountain Time (8 p.m. Central) in Pocatello, Idaho.

Comment

BoOfficial Basketball Box Score
                  South Dakota State vs Central Florida
                  1/18/06 7:30 p.m. at Orlando, Fla.
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  VISITORS: South Dakota State 5-12
                  TOT-FG 3-PT REBOUNDS
                  ## Player Name FG-FGA FG-FGA FT-FTA OF DE TOT PF TP A TO BLK S MIN
                  32 Andre Gilbert....... f 4-6 2-2 1-2 0 2 2 1 11 1 3 0 2 37
                  54 Michael Loney....... f 2-4 0-1 2-2 0 1 1 4 6 0 2 0 0 21
                  42 Mohamed Berte....... c 3-7 0-0 2-2 2 2 4 5 8 1 3 0 0 26
                  04 Eric Heien.......... g 2-5 2-3 2-2 0 2 2 3 8 1 0 0 2 26
                  24 Matt Cadwell........ g 6-14 3-7 11-11 0 9 9 1 26 3 5 0 2 38
                  03 Mackenzie Casey..... 0-0 0-0 0-0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 2
                  10 Jose Frias.......... 2-4 0-0 2-2 1 3 4 2 6 3 1 0 1 24
                  22 Andy Kleinjan....... 0-1 0-0 0-0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
                  50 Ben Beran........... 1-6 0-0 2-4 1 1 2 5 4 1 1 0 1 26
                  TEAM................ 1 5 6
                  Totals.............. 20-47 7-13 22-25 5 25 30 22 69 10 15 0 8 200

TOTAL FG% 1st Half: 9-24 37.5% 2nd Half: 11-23 47.8% Game: 42.6% DEADB
                  3-Pt. FG% 1st Half: 3-7 42.9% 2nd Half: 4-6 66.7% Game: 53.8% REBS
                  F Throw % 1st Half: 5-6 83.3% 2nd Half: 17-19 89.5% Game: 88.0% 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  HOME TEAM: Central Florida 7-8
                  TOT-FG 3-PT REBOUNDS
                  ## Player Name FG-FGA FG-FGA FT-FTA OF DE TOT PF TP A TO BLK S MIN
                  02 PAYNE, Lavell....... f 2-2 0-0 1-5 2 1 3 3 5 1 1 0 0 21
                  30 PEPPERS, Josh....... f 6-13 3-9 0-0 1 5 6 3 15 3 5 0 0 35
                  33 WILLIAMS, Anthony... f 5-6 0-0 3-4 0 2 2 5 13 3 0 2 1 29
                  04 O'DONNELL, Mike..... g 1-6 0-4 1-1 1 0 1 3 3 5 1 0 4 30
                  21 ROSE, Justin........ g 3-11 0-3 1-3 2 5 7 3 7 3 3 3 4 30
                  01 TAYLOR, Jermaine.... 0-1 0-0 0-0 0 1 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 6
                  03 NOEL, Dave.......... 2-3 0-1 1-1 0 1 1 0 5 1 0 0 0 8
                  13 ZONDERVAN, Kenrick.. 0-0 0-0 0-0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1
                  20 LINDBECK, Troy...... 2-3 2-3 2-2 0 0 0 1 8 1 2 0 1 13
                  22 JOHNSON, Marcus..... 1-4 0-0 4-4 2 2 4 3 6 0 3 1 0 18
                  25 GILL, Adam.......... 1-3 0-0 0-0 1 2 3 1 2 1 1 0 0 9
                  TEAM................ 5 5
                  Totals.............. 23-52 5-20 13-20 9 24 33 23 64 18 17 6 10 200

TOTAL FG% 1st Half: 17-26 65.4% 2nd Half: 6-26 23.1% Game: 44.2% DEADB
                  3-Pt. FG% 1st Half: 3-9 33.3% 2nd Half: 2-11 18.2% Game: 25.0% REBS
                  F Throw % 1st Half: 6-10 60.0% 2nd Half: 7-10 70.0% Game: 65.0% 2

Officials: Harrell Allen, James Breeding, Ray Natili
                  Technical fouls: South Dakota State-None. Central Florida-None.
                  Attendance: 1412
                  Score by Periods 1st 2nd Total
                  South Dakota State............ 26 43 - 69
                  Central Florida............... 43 21 - 64
                  ID-375984
                  x score from Central Florida game

Comment

This was a really nice win for the Jacks. It brings a little bit of credibility to the club. A little confidence will not hurt the club at all. Central Florida is not a bad team at all.

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...39/1002/SPORTS

SDSU earns 5th win of season
                      Men rally in second half against Central Florida; Ohio beats Wisconsin

The Associated Press

Article Published: 01/19/06, 2:55 am

Matt Cadwell scored 19 of his 26 points in the second half, and South Dakota State erased a 17-point halftime deficit as the Jackrabbits rallied for a 69-64 non-conference victory over Central Florida on Wednesday in Orlando, Fla..

The victory was South Dakota State's (5-12) second in its last eight games. After a hot-shooting first half, Central Florida (7-8) went cold from the floor in the final 20 minutes and allowed South Dakota State to make a methodical comeback.

Cadwell, who hit all 11 of his free throws, also had nine rebounds and three assists. Andre Gilbert finished with 11 points for South Dakota State. Cadwell and Eric Heien each hit a pair of free throws in the final 25 seconds of the game to seal SDSU's victory.

Central Florida shot 25 percent from the floor (6-of-24) in the second half and committed nine turnovers.

SOUTH DAKOTA STATE (5-12)

Gilbert 4-6 1-2 11, Loney 2-4 2-2 6, Berte 3-7 2-2 8, Heien 2-5 2-2 8, Cadwell 6-14 11-11 26, Casey 0-0 0-0 0, Frias 2-4 2-2 6, Kleinjan 0-1 0-0 0, Beran 1-6 2-4 4. Totals 20-47 22-25 69.

CENTRAL FLORIDA (7-8)

Payne 2-2 1-5 5, Peppers 6-13 0-0 15, Williams 5-6 3-4 13, O'Donnell 1-6 1-1 3, Rose 3-11 1-3 7, Taylor 0-1 0-0 0, Noel 2-3 1-1 5, Zondervan 0-0 0-00, Lindbeck 2-3 2-2 8, Johnson 1-4 4-4 6, Gill 1-3 0-0 6. Totals 23-52 13-20 64.

Halftime-Central Florida 43-26. 3-Point goals-South Dakota State 7-13 (Cadwell 3-7, Gilbert 2-2, Heien 2-3, Loney 0-1), Central Florida 5-20 (Peppers 3-9, Lindbeck 2-3, Noel 0-1, Rose 0-3, O'Donnell 0-4). Fouled out-Berte, Beran, Williams. Rebounds-South Dakota State 30 (Cadwell 9), Central Florida 33 (Rose 7). Assists-South Dakota State 10 (Cadwell 3), Central Florida 18 (O'Donnell 5). Total fouls-South Dakota State 22, Central Florida 23. A-1,412.

Comment

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sport...dlines-college

South Dakota St. stuns UCF

Kyle Hightower | Sentinel Staff Writer
                        Posted January 19, 2006

There were lots of reasons, but very few words being used afterward to describe what likely will be remembered as one of the worst losses in UCF's basketball history.

In its biggest second-half collapse of the season, UCF fell 69-64 to South Dakota State on Wednesday night in its final non-conference game of the season.

As fans filed out of UCF Arena, one black-and-gold-clad student asked a nearby friend: "Did we just lose to a high-school team?"

Not quite. But the Jackrabbits (5-12) are in their final year of their Division I transition, and in actuality, it likely never should have been in the game.

South Dakota State trailed 43-26 at the half but got back in the game, thanks largely to the Knights' poor shooting the rest of the way. UCF (7-8) was just 6-for-26 from the field in the final 20 minutes and were outshot 88 percent (22-for-25) to 65 percent (13-for-20) on the night from the free-throw line.

Though the free-throw shooting was an improvement on their season average (60 percent), the Knights failed to convert late in the game on some critical one-and-one opportunities.

The Jackrabbits outscored their hosts 43-21 in the second half. Redshirt freshman Matt Cadwell led the way with a game-high 26 points.

What's more, the stinging loss comes four days after the Knights claimed what Coach Kirk Speraw was hoping could be a season-igniting road victory against Houston -- their first Conference USA victory.

"I can't figure it out," Speraw said. "I haven't been able to figure this team out all season. . . . This team refuses to learn the lesson of playing with intensity and effort every night. I can't figure it out."

UCF, which will host Tulsa at 7:30 Saturday night, was led by junior Josh Peppers (15 points) and senior forward Anthony Williams (13 points). But after scoring 10 points in the first half on 5-of-5 shooting, Williams got just one field-goal attempt in the second half as his teammates struggled to get him the ball.

"There are words I want to say right now that aren't appropriate," Williams said.

Kyle Hightower can be reached at khightower@orlandosentinel.com.

Comment

http://ucfathletics.collegesports.co...011806aaa.html

UCF Falls Short Against South Dakota State

Josh Peppers paced the Golden Knights with 15 points.

Josh Peppers totaled 15 points versus South Dakota State.

Jan. 18, 2006

Box Score

ORLANDO - South Dakota State rallied from a 17-point halftime deficit to post a 69-64 victory over the UCF men's basketball team on Wednesday evening at Torchy Clark Court at UCF Arena. The Golden Knights (7-8) shot 65.4 percent from the floor in the opening stanza, but made just six field goals in the second half.

Matt Cadwell scored a game-high 26 points for South Dakota State (5-12). Cadwell was 11-of-11 from the free-throw line as the Jackrabbits connected on 22-of-25 attempts (88 percent) from the charity stripe.

The Golden Knights shot just 6-of-26 (23.1 percent) from the field in the second half. The hosts recorded 16 assists in the first half, but totaled just two assists in the second stanza. UCF led by 10 with 9:41 to play, but South Dakota State closed the game with a 21-6 run.

"I saw a lack of execution and a lack of effort on both sides of the floor (in the second half) and a tremendous effort by South Dakota State," said UCF head coach Kirk Speraw. "They (South Dakota State) did not do anything different in the second half than they did in the first half."

Cadwell had nine points during South Dakota State's run at the end of the game. He nailed a three-pointer with 55 seconds to play to hand the Jackrabbits a 65-62 lead. UCF had a chance to tie the game on the ensuing possession, but senior guard Troy Lindbeck's trey was off the mark.

UCF was playing its final non-conference game of the year.

Junior forward Josh Peppers paced UCF with 15 points. Senior forward Anthony Williams finished with 13 points and a pair of blocks. Williams scored six points as the Golden Knights closed the first half with on a 15-6 run. The hosts took a 43-26 advantage into intermission.

For the game, UCF shot 44.2 percent overall, but made just 5-of-20 (25 percent) from deep.

Andre Gilbert totaled 11 points for the Jackrabbits, who shot 42.6 percent from the field for the contest.

The Golden Knights return to Conference USA play on Saturday, hosting Tulsa. Tip-off is set for 7:30 p.m.

Comment

Anybody know what happened to the Ben Beran who had 28 against Kentucky? That guy was a solid D1 player. Great win by the Jacks! We'll get a lot more if we can get that Beran kid back. Who woulda thunk at the beginning of the season that we would be looking to Cadwell for our scoring. What a crazy season. I hope we end this puppy on a good note and get some confidence heading into the off-season.
                            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

What really excites me is Jose Frias, and his defensive ability. Kind interesting to now find out that its his offense that was holding him back on the bench. Might be other things but am happy he had good game and hope he will have more. One advantage in playing him is his quickness and ability to drive for the hoop, something we only have with Cadwell. Our other guards seem to be cutoff and box up early in setting up the offense.

When the whole team starts to contribute it can be contagious. I certainly am not giving up Beran or any one on the team.

I posted this already but in terms or RPI which start to mean something at this point in the season, SDSU 238, Central Fla 227 and guess who is 228, none other than our next opponent Idaho State. The Bison have taken Idaho State to the woodshed at home, so I think we have a chance with our new attittude. BTW NDSU move up to 165 in the RPI after beating SDSU.

Comment

Why, why, why did I turn the game off at the half?

Sounds like I missed a great game. Good to hear Frias is contributing. Hopefully he continues to progress. IMHO, it just goes to show that everyone on the team can contribute if they get their heads in the right place. I'm not sure I've ever seen a team with such changing lineups, but it worked last night.

15 turnovers as a team is where we need to be to have a chance in these games. 54% from downtown always helps, too.

I also hope we can continue to play well as a team. I must admit, looking at the last 4 games, we've actually played well in 3 of them. Montana, Utah Valley, and UCF were solid performances.

Looking at our last 9 games, we played well in 6 of them with the bad ones coming against UofM, Butler, and NDSU (dang!). Close loses to Montana St and Manhatten make the record look bad, but we were right in those games. 4-5 isn't too bad, and we could easily be 6-3. ;D ;D ;D

If we could have had a few more gimmies in the early season to get our momentum going, as well as our young guys experience, our forward momentum would have helped some. Give us 4 more wins right now, and I would be exstatic.

I'm probably the most guilty of doom and gloom, but I think we are actually seeing some improvement. ;D
                                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Working...
                                X