Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Last scholarship???

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
    Nate Wolters sounds like Cody Schilling, who chose D-II Augustana last year despite attracting interest from D-1 schools. D-1 talent limited by D-II ambition. So it goes. The Jacks need guys with ambition that matches or exceeds their talent.
    Or maybe the like winning, because that is something that the Jacks aren't doing very regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by Vaulter98 View Post
      Or maybe the like winning, because that is something that the Jacks aren't doing very regularly.
      the slope of the trend line is however positive (if not as steep as most would like to see) . . .
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Saw Wolters play against Hopkins and yes he belonged on the same floor as the heralded Hopkins DI recruits. He scored 17 of his teams 36 points in a slow down/stall game which was the only chance St Cloud Tech had. It was 16-15 at the half. Wolters is one of the better ball handlers and passers I have seen in the region. Ability to take people off the dribble and has a nice stroke and yes the Jacks coaches were at Target Center last night. I certainly hope he has a change of heart as at 6'3 he has great court vision. Had a nice two hand breakaway jam in the second half. I wished everyone on this board could see Hopkins play as they are so talented. Led by 6'7 Royce White who is headed for the Gophers and Mike Broghammer at 6'9 who is going to Notre Dame. Best collection of high school talent on one team I have seen. Of course Hopkins is always being accused of recruiting.

Comment

Welcome to the Board Vaulter98.

Not sure that I agree with the tone of your first post, but I do like the fact that the board is continuing to add members and that the men's bb program still has their attention.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I think when it comes down to it, we've had players dress for SDSU that weren't sure they wanted to be here and we all know how that has turned out. I'd rather have a project that wanted nothing more than to suit up for the Jacks than a great talent who came here and always wondered what would have happened had he made other choices.
            "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
            -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
              Saw Wolters play against Hopkins and yes he belonged on the same floor as the heralded Hopkins DI recruits. He scored 17 of his teams 36 points in a slow down/stall game which was the only chance St Cloud Tech had. It was 16-15 at the half. Wolters is one of the better ball handlers and passers I have seen in the region. Ability to take people off the dribble and has a nice stroke and yes the Jacks coaches were at Target Center last night. I certainly hope he has a change of heart as at 6'3 he has great court vision. Had a nice two hand breakaway jam in the second half. I wished everyone on this board could see Hopkins play as they are so talented. Led by 6'7 Royce White who is headed for the Gophers and Mike Broghammer at 6'9 who is going to Notre Dame. Best collection of high school talent on one team I have seen. Of course Hopkins is always being accused of recruiting.
              One thing I miss about living in Minnesota is watching the state tourney and the "big boys" in the Cities. The talent is just spectacular. If the Wolters kid looks like he belongs on the same court as Hopkins, he either 1. Had a really, really good night or 2. Flat out belongs.

However, as others stated, if his heart is in St. Cloud or elsewhere in the D-2 realms of Minnesota, he should go there and make them a successful team. Just look at Jill Young, granted that's D-1 to D-1, but her heart was not in Omaha. She's happy in Brookings (assuming) and plays her heart out like she loves every minute of it.

Comment

The point guard situation is interesting. Chad White is not a point guard, I think he's more of a "point forward". His ball handling skills are good, but not true point guard talented. This would be an interesting scheme to run, but when a Jonathan Jones comes around, a true quick point is a must. Several people talk of the big guard, but look at Jones, he's under 6' and may be the early season favorite for conference player of the year next year, for sure first team.

The other thing people want is a "big". One thing I noticed at the Summit tournament is there were only two teams that start a true #5. Oakland and ??? (don't remember). Granted a Keith Benson would be awesome to have, but AC and a 6'9" guy who can be a 12 and 8 guy and play 30 minutes would do just fine for this team in the Summit.

I just mentioned two guys from Oakland that we all wish we had. Any doubts on who the hands down preseason favorite is next year?

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
                  The other thing people want is a "big". One thing I noticed at the Summit tournament is there were only two teams that start a true #5. Oakland and ??? (don't remember). Granted a Keith Benson would be awesome to have, but AC and a 6'9" guy who can be a 12 and 8 guy and play 30 minutes would do just fine for this team in the Summit.
                  Most successful mid major teams I have notice over the years usually don't have a true center, as talented 6'10"+ kids are almost always snagged up by the power programs (Benson is an exception). The smaller schools that have gone deep in the tourney in recent years (Davidson/George Mason) employ a couple 4's who are usually only around 6'8"ish, but they have large frames and weigh 250+ pounds. These shorter bigs utilize there generally superior strength/weight to make up for the inches they lose in height to 5's on BCS teams, which allow them to keep these taller bigs off the blocks and off the boards if they use their bodies appropriately. For this reason I feel it is vital for the Jacks to recruit these shorter posts who have room on their frame to add muscle and size (ala Cordova/Fiegen) and not go after near 7'0" who larger schools pass on, because in general there is a reason these schools passed on them; whether it is lack of athleticism, lack of frame, or both. We need to try to recruit these types of players so we can have multiple, talented 4s on the court at once so we can clean up the boards in conference and at give us an opportunity to beat the larger schools on a regular basis.
                  If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                  - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
                    and ??? (don't remember).
                    Doesn't SUU have a couple players near 7'-0?

Another thing with the 'baby bigs' that Kemo talked about is player development--teaching a kid how to use a lower center of gravity to get position in the lane in order to turn another player's advantage into your advantage.

Fran F., I think, said that the women's team was using Judo on Baylor in their early run--exploiting Baylor's strengths.

Similarly, a 250lb 6'8" guy has distinct advantages over a 250# 6'10 or 7'0 guy--even in basketball, provided he knows how to use them:

1) he's harder to put off balance than a taller player of similar weight.

2) he's got better leverage on a taller player--provided he can shoot with either hand (e.g. leverage some free space for a 'baby hook' or a leaner)

3) he may not be able to rebound -over- a taller opponent, but he should be able to box out a taller player, if he gets his footwork right. That enables him to a) get the rebound himself, b) draw an over the back foul, c) open the lane for a guard or small forward to rebound.

I mean, eventually you run across a big with the same build or better skills than you, but until that happens, you should be able to give yourself some advantages over a taller player.

And based on that, I think Nagy & co. deserve some credit for AC's improvement year over year. He's not better just because he's bigger, he's better because he's learned some moves.

Comment

Speaking of bigs, has anyone else watched psycho T from UNC set screens? He spreads his legs, locks his arms, and bears down. He is at least 4 feet wide. Totally disrupts the other teams defensive strategy.

Man, I wish we could get guys to set screens like that, Callahan and Sargeant would both average 20+ a game.
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Another uncommitted prep in the 2009 Class in Minnesota is 6'2 guard Cedric Martin of Minneapolis Washburn. He was very impressive in the 3A championship game with 23 points. If Nate Wolters is indeed out would love to see this guy in the mix for the last scholarship.
                        Last edited by JACKGUYII; 03-29-2009, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Looks like Martin with have to go to JC first: http://www.startribune.com/sports/pr...7PQLanchO7DiUr

Comment

I just mentioned two guys from Oakland that we all wish we had. Any doubts on who the hands down preseason favorite is next year?
                            Oakland has 4 legit First Team players on their roster. Benson, JJ, the will-be senior (Nelson?) who averaged something like 18 & 9 the year before and the transfer from St. Johns who was the Red Storms 3rd leading scorer while playing less than half the game as a sophmore.

Comment

My bro-in-law lives in St. Cloud and tells me about Wolters. Makes it sound like Tech breeds athletes, just not smart ones (his words). He said Wolters more than held his own against Hopkins, getting into the lane easily and often.

I know a student athlete who attends a private NSIC school in a large city. He loves his team and coaches but, coming from the background he does, he doesn't like the school and doesn't relate to his fellow students. He's already looked at transfering. Wolters will not play professionaly (most likely) so just go to a place that you like.

Comment

I wish Mr. Wolters the best no matter where his plans may lead him. I am sure he is a good athlete and a good student. That would be the perfect match for SDSU, but Mr. Wolters certainly has the right to explore all options out there. Until a letter of intent is signed, there is nothing that says the institutions or the athletes have to operate in daylight of the public.

If an SDSU coaching staff member is seen at a St Cloud Tech BB game after Wolter's father says he is not interested in SDSU, I think have to be very careful and not read into these superfacial reportings. It means nothing.

Comment

Working...
                                X