Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Last scholarship???

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
    Size at point may be an issue next year, but after that I don't really see it being a problem. Next year Carlson (6'5") and White (6'7") come in and either could end up developing into the point guard of the future. I have never seen Carlson play but I have seen his scoring stats, which may warrant him to become a 2 instead of a 1, but if that is the case White could become a 1 instead of his project 3 spot.

I only say this after I watched White play a couple games in this year's state tournament, as I was incredibly impressed with his demeanor on the court, being patient with the ball and getting the ball to the open man when a double came or help defense rotated over to close up a driving lane. I was expecting to see an athletic scorer who took over games with shear ability, but instead I saw an athlete who excelled at all facets of the games and made everyone around him better. He may not be ready to play point guard at the college level in his true freshman year, but I do feel he has the ability to play the position extremely well with some coaching and could be a true mismatch for opposing teams.

I agree with Zooropa. We needs a PG and a couple of quality big guys -- not 6'6 guys either. Hoping a guy develops into the point guard of the future based on a box score is a lot different than knowing a player is a pure PG coming into your program.

Comment

Nate Wolters sounds like Cody Schilling, who chose D-II Augustana last year despite attracting interest from D-1 schools. D-1 talent limited by D-II ambition. So it goes. The Jacks need guys with ambition that matches or exceeds their talent.
      This space for lease.

Comment

I've said this before here, and it's worth repeating now. Who knows why an 18-year-old chooses to go to college one place over another? Maybe it's ambition... maybe it's the food service... maybe they really want to major in Pre-Architecture.

I just don't think it's fair to characterize a kid's ambition or determination when we have no idea of why they did what they did. Nate Wolters wasn't comfortable with SDSU for whatever reason. That's his decision. Maybe Cody Schilling just wanted to live in Sioux Falls. I don't know. The point is, you can't fault student athletes for the choices they make. And particularly in the case of student athletes, I'm guessing those choices are very carefully made with many factors in mind. When it comes to choosing a college, you'd better pick someplace where you're comfortable since job number one is getting a degree.

I don't think anybody here is trying to say anything bad about these kids. But it's worth remembering that they're kids who, working with their parents, are trying to pick a place where they'll be successful in both academics and athletics.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

The absolute last thing we want is someone who doesn't really want to be a Jackrabbit. That's pretty much requirement #1. All the skills in the world are meaningless unless the kid believes in his heart he (or she) is in the right place.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by rcjacks View Post
            I agree with Zooropa. We needs a PG and a couple of quality big guys -- not 6'6 guys either. Hoping a guy develops into the point guard of the future based on a box score is a lot different than knowing a player is a pure PG coming into your program.
            I only have box scores to base off of for Carlson, but my evaluation of White came off of watching multiple games in the state tourney... I really do think he could be not only an adequate point guard, but an exceptional one if the coaches so chose to develop him as one, he is that talented. Think of the match up problems a 6'7" point guard could cause in the Summit League, along with the extra defensive options Nagy would have with him there.
            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
            - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
              Nate Wolters sounds like Cody Schilling, who chose D-II Augustana last year despite attracting interest from D-1 schools. D-1 talent limited by D-II ambition. So it goes. The Jacks need guys with ambition that matches or exceeds their talent.
              I agree with what JJ said and I think it's a dick move to say he doesn't have ambition. You're going to bash on a kid (who you don't know) because he chose one school over another? Like that commercial says, most college athletes go pro in something other than sports.
              Originally posted by JackFan96
              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Where the hell were all these beer parties with chicks when I was recruited? D1 rules!

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                  I agree with what JJ said and I think it's a dick move to say he doesn't have ambition. You're going to bash on a kid (who you don't know) because he chose one school over another? Like that commercial says, most college athletes go pro in something other than sports.
                  I agree with JJ too, but I don't think anyone is "bashing" the kid as much as speculating on why he would rather go DII over DI. Not saying we should speculate on the intentions of a kid we don't know, but no need to get all up in arms about it either unless someone is trying to pass off speculation as facts. This after all is a message board.
                  - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                    I agree with JJ too, but I don't think anyone is "bashing" the kid as much as speculating on why he would rather go DII over DI. Not saying we should speculate on the intentions of a kid we don't know, but no need to get all up in arms about it either unless someone is trying to pass off speculation as facts. This after all is a message board.
                    I don't know. Saying a kid lacks ambition seems like "bashing" to me. I'm not up in arms, I just think it's a dick move.

Comment

I don't know. Saying a kid lacks ambition seems like "bashing" to me. I'm not up in arms, I just think it's a dick move.
                      I do get where you are coming from to an extent, but maybe I just look at the comment in a different light (I wasn't the one who said it, so just speculating ). My thoughts here is that the comment(s) were about his ambition to play division I college basketball, not the kids overall ambition. That's not saying he lacks ambition in general, it just means that maybe he has other ambitions that are more prevalent, such as academic or family ambitions. I, myself, happen to have the ambition to be a good graduate student but have an even great ambition to be the brightest beacon of insight sdsufans.com has ever known
                      - Steven Wright

Comment

Playing D-1 ball requires a lot more time commitments than D-2 (especially in the NSIC). Maybe the kid likes basketball, but not that much.

In that sense, I'd say that "D-1 talent, D-2 ambition" is an accurate, although brusque, way of describing things.

Kid (perhaps) doesn't want to devote that much of his time to being a basketball player, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Comment

I have to agree with RO. Maybe the kid wants to be a big fish and a small pond so to speak. Just because he may have D-I ability doesn't mean he has to play D-I. This doesn't mean he is lazy or a bad kid.

I guess my take on it is he didn't like SDSU so I hope he goes somewhere he likes and does very well for whoever he plays for. (Unless he goes to NDSU, of course.)

Comment

I said the player had D-II ambition, which is apparently true. Calling my reaction to a player's public comment "a dick move" is lot harsher than anything I said.
                            This space for lease.

Comment

I said the player had D-II ambition, which is apparently true. Calling my reaction to a player's public comment "a dick move" is lot harsher than anything I said.
                              I agree with that. RO was a little harsh. I wasn't calling Jacked_Up out at all. I was just adding some context to the discussion from the standpoint of somebody who stands in front of 190 first-year students twice a week for 75 minutes. Everybody's entitled to their opinion.
                              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

It was more the comment that he was "limited" by DII ambition. It seemed kind of negative to me. I stand by what I said, but it's just my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X