Kwsn...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kwsn...

Having been a fan of Dan Patrick's radio show for a long time, I can say that the show went south when they lost Dibble. Those two together were so much fun, but Dan alone became boring (not as boring as Tirico and Tafoya but still boring).
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Comment

Kwse has struggled since Mike H left. John seems to be a little to arrogant in his role and coming from outside the state does not have same knowledge that Mike currently does of the SD HS scene. While I don't agree with changing over to Fox sports is the right idea. I do understand having more local control over what games they can cover live. High school sports is big in SD.

Mike H has a great show and I really appreciate it when he is doing the State tournaments. He brings some knowledge and professionalism to the broadcast.

Comment

Regardless of how a particular team is doing, SDSU has the biggest fan base in South Dakota. USD probably has the second biggest. Then come the big high schools and other colleges. It's amazing how the only sports radio station in the state's largest city can brush off all those potential college fan listeners with only occasional, token interviews about SDSU or USD. I don't know if FOX programming will be better or worse than ESPN. I suspect it will be cheaper. KWSN also says FOX will be more flexible, which probably means local listeners will get more high school stuff. If KWSN is smart, it also will use the opportunity to develop more sophisticated programming to attract the D-1 college audience. That's the future.
        This space for lease.

Comment

I like Mike & Mike (aren't they simul-cast on TV in the morning?) and a couple of the other ESPN radio regulars. But I'd rather listen to dead air than Cowherd. His critics are right.
          This space for lease.

Comment

IMHO, a market the size of Sioux Falls should have a local radio sports station with more talent and sports product knowledge than KWSN has (you get what you pay for). I don't think people mind a blending of local and national programming as long as the local piece is balanced and the on-air talent knows what they are talking about. It doesn't appear Craig put's much research into his interviews based on the lack of depth of questioning. I would bet he could not even name five players on the Jacks Mens and Womens teams.

Comment

Cowbell34, Jacked Up, and JackguyII hit the nail on the head. Regardless of the other issues, I don't understand how our Sports talk radio dismisses the largest audience.

Comment

Originally posted by coachwatch View Post
                Kwse has struggled since Mike H left. John seems to be a little to arrogant in his role and coming from outside the state does not have same knowledge that Mike currently does of the SD HS scene. While I don't agree with changing over to Fox sports is the right idea. I do understand having more local control over what games they can cover live. High school sports is big in SD.

Mike H has a great show and I really appreciate it when he is doing the State tournaments. He brings some knowledge and professionalism to the broadcast.
                I think John will do a decent job,especially with the Jacks women.Having done Worthington high school sports for a couple years while at KWOA,he has a good connection with the Boever family.He also interviewed AJ a few times while doing his KWOA show.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                  I think John will do a decent job,especially with the Jacks women.Having done Worthington high school sports for a couple years while at KWOA,he has a good connection with the Boever family.He also interviewed AJ a few times while doing his KWOA show.
                  Yeah, John might do ok, but isn't it sad that he's our only hope on that station?

Also, am I the only Colin Cowherd fan here? I watch him on ESPNU every day, I think he's the best out there.

Comment

Originally posted by cowbell34 View Post
                    Yeah, John might do ok, but isn't it sad that he's our only hope on that station?

Also, am I the only Colin Cowherd fan here? I watch him on ESPNU every day, I think he's the best out there.
                    I'm a big fan of The Herd, you aren't alone

Comment

I think it's interesting how many of our sports reporters, editors, and broadcasters are still big fans of high school sports. Go to any area of similar population to the eastern edge of South Dakota, and you'll find a bunch of sports people who don't give a rip about high school sports. I'm glad that Mike H., Zimmer, Stu and others still have a passion for sports at that level.

When you take that away, you get a bunch of reporters who become blowhards who treat local sports as if it's the NFL. I think it's great that high schools (and smaller colleges, too) still get a lot of attention from our regional sports people. I hope we can maintain that perspective and recognize that whether we're talking about a couple of basketball players from Madison or who will QB the Jacks in the fall, we're talking about a bunch of 18-22 year-old students who happen to play sports. To me, having people in the media who are fans of sports at all levels helps maintain that perspective.
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by jackwatcher View Post
                        They announced today they will have Dan Patrick, Jim Rome, and Tony Bruno among the shows they will air. I am not a Jim Rome fan. That means I will spend even less time listening to them than I do now.

There is a fact that needs corrected however. TeaJackrabbit, where did you get the idea Scott Nagy has never been on KWSN? That is not true. He used to be on 3 or 4 times during the season. It might have been awhile since he was on, but it sure wasn't his first time.

Jim Rome is a punk. This is the guy who purposely goaded former Rams QB Jim Everett, constantly referring to him as "Chris Everett" in a live interview, with the only apparent purpose of getting himself, Rome, on the national media map. Which, unfortunately, it did. Just totally unprofessional, IMHO. Every time this guy shows up on a radio station in our market I automatically switch it. I would urge everyone to NOT listen to him and a station that puts him on the air, and to pass this onto others and to anyone that might advertise on the station. This is one way to fight back.

Comment

Originally posted by cowbell34 View Post

I also am a fan of the Herd. Don't always agree with him, but I guess you never agree with everything from anyone. I will probably listen to Dan Patrick, I enjoyed his espn show, but the other two shows do absolutely nothing for me.

Comment

There is a fact that needs corrected however. TeaJackrabbit, where did you get the idea Scott Nagy has never been on KWSN? That is not true. He used to be on 3 or 4 times during the season. It might have been awhile since he was on, but it sure wasn't his first time.
                            I am not an everyday listener but I do tune in a few times during the week. I have never heard Nagy on before and I swear they said it was his first time. Now, maybe they were saying it was his first time on Craig and JOHN? That might be it.

Comment

I've gained alot of respect for Mike H coming on here. It also shows he keeps in touch around the state. Good to know.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeHenriksen View Post
                                What an interesting way to start a Sunday morning!

I just need to clear a couple of things up. First, I don't think my son is on this board. Some people think Matt Hendrickson of KJAM is my son since he is also a sportscaster, from Dell Rapids, and has a similar name. Not the case, although he is a good friend and a great guy. My son, the SDSU grad, is touring the country doing children's theatre. That was his major at SDSU and he was in a ton of shows so it is great he is using his degree. My daughter, also and SDSU grad, got her Masters from SDSU this December and is expecting our second grandchild this summer with her husband in Ramona. She teaches cyber school. Not sure what any of this has to do with SDSU, but since my family got brought up I thought I would clarify.
                                Thanks for the kind words, Mike! Your check is in the mail! LOL

And in an even stranger twist of fate, my younger brother is ALSO named Mike!
                                I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Working...
                                X