Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011 recruits

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
    I hope that Colorado St. pursues Colton Iverson and therefore does not offer Cougil. Getting Cougil would be big for SDSU. He fits the inside/outside style of play SDSU has going for it.

Cougil needs come here where he is wanted. Colorado St. probably wants to explore other options and then if everything else falls through would look at Cougil.
    I agree that Colorado St landing Iverson (which I feel is going to happen) will help us maybe land Cougill. I don't feel Iowa will offer unless oyher players fall through. SDSU would have to be considered a contender to land him considering our need, familiarity because of Sargent, and it probably doesn't hurt that we beat Iowa last season.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
      I agree that Colorado St landing Iverson (which I feel is going to happen) will help us maybe land Cougill. I don't feel Iowa will offer unless oyher players fall through. SDSU would have to be considered a contender to land him considering our need, familiarity because of Sargent, and it probably doesn't hurt that we beat Iowa last season.
      CSU is a good fit for Colton and he and Coach Miles seemed to click so I suspect he is leaning that way.

As for Jacobson, he injured the shoulder in FB his junior year and then aggravated it this year (I think). I have several friends who have coached against him for years and they all say the same thing, great kid who will work his ass off for his team. I'd say that is just the kind of walk on we want. Add to that the level of talent and potential and I think it's a good get.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
        It seems to me that he doesn't fit into Fran McCaffery's system very well. He's a wide body, probably isn't super athletic. McCaffery wants to press and run and shoot the three. He needs big guys, but probably more in the mold of a Keith Benson.
        I saw Cougill play several games this year and I'd say he's still a little on the chubby side. But he hustled, played hard, seemed to be enjoying himself and had a good attitude. Showed some good moves down lowand is a good passer and can shoot the 3. I'm not sure, however, how many guys his size he faced in juco division-2. I saw him in the halls at Kirkwood a few times and seemed like a good kid. He's not the first Hawkeye that Kirkwood and Coach Wagemester have helped turn around. Kirkwood also sent Ali Farokhmanesh to UNI.

Comment

Originally posted by crjack View Post
          I saw Cougill play several games this year and I'd say he's still a little on the chubby side. But he hustled, played hard, seemed to be enjoying himself and had a good attitude. Showed some good moves down lowand is a good passer and can shoot the 3. I'm not sure, however, how many guys his size he faced in juco division-2. I saw him in the halls at Kirkwood a few times and seemed like a good kid. He's not the first Hawkeye that Kirkwood and Coach Wagemester have helped turn around. Kirkwood also sent Ali Farokhmanesh to UNI.
          Great post. It sounds like he would fit right in with what we like to do offensively. The question I have is how well does he play defensively?

Comment

Jarrell Crayton has visits scheduled to Boise State and Minnesota according to Big Red Today http://www.dealsomaha.com/article/20...ED/703259785/0 (one of his JuCo teammates has an offer from Nebraska)

from my information he doesn't have an offer from either at this time.

Brennan Cougill plans on making campus visits this coming week. Green Bay & South Dakota State are leading right now

http://wcfcourier.com/sports/blogs/b...cc4c03286.html

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
              Brennan Cougill plans on making campus visits this coming week. Green Bay & South Dakota State are leading right now
              So with Butler being in the national championship game two years in a row, will this actually hurt recruiting by other Horizon League teams. If a recruit was deciding between the Summit and Horizon, couldn't the argument be made that if you go to the Horizon you have little to no chance of making the NCAA tourney. Therefore going to a Summit League team would give you a better chance of making the Big Dance?

Take Brennan Cougill for example. Would he make a big enough difference at Wis-Green Bay to beat Butler. He only has two years of eligibility left and there is a big jump between Green Bay and Butler. I don't think Green Bay with or without Cougill could make up that gap in two years.

But if Cougill did attend SDSU, then we are probably in the top 3 for the next two years in the SL and have a far better chance of making the NCAA tourney than a Green Bay or any other Horizon League team not named Butler.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

So with Butler being in the national championship game two years in a row, will this actually hurt recruiting by other Horizon League teams. If a recruit was deciding between the Summit and Horizon, couldn't the argument be made that if you go to the Horizon you have little to no chance of making the NCAA tourney. Therefore going to a Summit League team would give you a better chance of making the Big Dance?

Not many high school athletes think that way, though.
                Originally posted by JackFan96
                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Take Brennan Cougill for example. Would he make a big enough difference at Wis-Green Bay to beat Butler. He only has two years of eligibility left and there is a big jump between Green Bay and Butler. I don't think Green Bay with or without Cougill could make up that gap in two years.

But if Cougill did attend SDSU, then we are probably in the top 3 for the next two years in the SL and have a far better chance of making the NCAA tourney than a Green Bay or any other Horizon League team not named Butler.
                  Butler was one of three teams at 13-5 for first in the Horizon. They were not leaps & bounds above their conference mates this season.

Comment

Players will go to a program where they are comfortable with the coach and their existing players,and where they think they can get playing time right away - this is especially true for a JUCO. Making the Big Dance in a one-bid conference next year is a crapshoot no matter what you did this year.

Comment

Every JuCo program/coach has a different view on how to guide their kids with recruitment. You hear one coach say that "he could go big-time" but fail to mention he might play 10 min a game while going "big time". You have the next coach who wants the "right fit" but they never really say what that is whether its the academics (probably not) or the offensive system, coaching staff, etc. Then you have the coaches who wants them to be a big time player (big fish/small pond). A lot of times those are the ones that go D-II or NAIA even though they could suit up for most mid-majors and even play solid minutes. Every coach is different however most tell their players to wait as long as they can before making a commitment. Don't expect Cougill to make a commitment until he is sure Iowa is out of the mix.

Comment

Milwaukee beat Butler twice during the regular season. Butler just got on a roll leading up to their conference tournament and it has caried over to the Big Dance.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                          Milwaukee beat Butler twice during the regular season. Butler just got on a roll leading up to their conference tournament and it has caried over to the Big Dance.
                          What they have done 2 years in a row I wouldn't just call being on a roll.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post

They lost to Youngstown St(who won only 2 conference games) on Feb 3 to go to 14-9 overall, 6-5 in the Horizon. At that point i dont think there was any reason to think they would make the tourney unless they won the Horizon tourney. They won their last 7 reg season games, ended up the number 2 seed and then won 2 games in the Horizon tourney. Id say they were on a roll to end the season and have continued to roll. Last year wasnt as much of a shock as this year.

Comment

Every time Brad Stevens has given a interview during the tournament he says there was a turning point during the season where everything started to click for them. Feb. 5th they were 5-5 in Horizon League (haven't lost since then).

Comment

Yeah, but that's 2 different years so 2 different situations. Look at the SDSU women's team. Yes they played great the past couple of years to win the Summit tourney, but this year they did have to get on a roll to win the tourney. They can announce on ESPN that SDSU has made the tourney 3 straight years, but this year was so different than the previous 2 years.
                                Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Working...
                                X