• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackrabbits add point guard

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Ne...cfm?Id=46,5119

05/01/2006

SDSU men sign Illinois point guard

Two time all-state selection Garrett Callahan of Seneca, Ill., signed a national letter of intent Monday, indicating he will enroll at South Dakota State University next fall and compete for the Jackrabbit men’s basketball team.

A 6-foot-2, 165-pound point guard, Callahan earned first-team all-state honors twice from both the Illinois Basketball Coaches Association and Associated Press. Callahan led Seneca High School to a 66-1 record the last two seasons, including an undefeated 35-0 record and Class A state championship in 2006. He set Illinois State Tournament records for consecutive free throws made with 26 and highest free throw percentage in a tournament at 96.8 percent.

A four-year starter, Callahan averaged 14 points per game as a senior and finished his career as Seneca High School’s all-time leader scorer with 1,710 points and 440 assists. Other career totals for the three-time Interstate 8 all-conference and all-area selection include 173 three-pointers, 230 steals and 370 rebounds.

Callahan also has been an all-conference selection in baseball, a regional and sectional qualifier in golf and is a member of FFA and the National Honor Society.  .  .  . (read more)

Go State!  

Re: Jackrabbits add point guard

;D '89 Great timing of some MUCH NEEDED Good News!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit
      ;D '89 Great timing of some MUCH NEEDED Good News!!!  

Gotta keep the faith baby!  

This kid sounds like a stud!

Go State!  

Comment

Let's hope his heart will keep him in SD for 4-5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE
          Let's hope his heart will keep him in SD for 4-5 years.

Let's hope no personal tragedy befalls his family. I hope I am misunderstanding your post, because I sure hope you are not taking a shot at Ben Beran.  :-/

Comment

sounds like he is more talking about Holdren and how he wanted to go back to Illinois cause that is where his heart is - which is understanable.

Doesn't sound anything to me like he is talking about Beran.

Comment

So for next year our roster looks like this so far:

3 Mackenzie Casey* G 6-1 160 Jr. Wounded Knee, S.D.
              10 Jose Frias                G 6-2           195           Sr.            New York City, N.Y.
              22 Andy Kleinjan** G 6-3 170 Sr. Bruce, S.D.
              24 Matt Cadwell G 6-3 195 So. St. Paul, Minn.
              30 Blake Yackley F 6-5 185 RsFr. Onida, S.D.
              34 Cam Hornby G 6-0 180 RsFr. Winnipeg, Manitoba
              44 Mark Engen F/C 6-10 200 RsFr. Lamberton, Minn.
              52 Robert Bilitz F/C 6-10 200 RsFr. Plymouth, Minn.
              54 Michael Loney* F 6-6 225 Jr. Humboldt, Iowa
              Garret Callahan G 6-2 165 Fr. Seneca, Ill
              Ryan Hoogeveen G 6-3 Fr. Boyden-Hull, IA
              Thomas Bassett F 6-5 240 Fr. Denison, IA
              Anthony Cordova F 6-7 220 Fr. Sioux Falls, SD

I believe that Casey, Yackley and Hoogeveen are walkons, so we have ten scholarship players and three walkons.  Does anyone know how many scholarships we have, I thought it was either 12 or 13.  It would be nice to pick up 1-3 Juco players especially in the middle.  I think that next might be tough, but things will get better.  I think we have a good foundation to build on with this group as long as they stay their 4 years.

Comment

Originally posted by gojacksgo
                sounds like he is more talking about Holdren and how he wanted to go back to Illinois cause that is where his heart is - which is understanable.  

Doesn't sound anything to me like he is talking about Beran.

Oh good  .  .  . because Ben told the Argus “My heart was just not with it,”.  Sorry if I over reacted.

Go State!  

Comment

Sorry to reiterate the 4 year thing. I know some athletes have legit reasons for leaving, and I am not blaming anybody for their departures, but we have had some real bad luck with this. It would be nice to have an athlete stay their entire time and graduate.

Comment

It looks like there is another Callahan, Griffan, on the team that is pretty good too. He's 6-4, 185 and is one year younger than Garret (little brother?) was honerable mention this year at state. He might be someone to keep an eye on next year.

Comment

My sarcastic shot was directed at Holdren, not Beran. I'm not mad at either of them, people have to do what they feel is best for them. Just my way of blowing off the steam of dissapointment. I apologize for any misunderstandings.

Comment

Here are some pics of our new point guard:

With the Ball

taking the shot

Go State!

Comment

Great story on our new guard!  8-)

http://mywebtimes.com/ottnews/archiv...&id=259296

Callahan makes jump to South Dakota

KYLE NEVINS

SENECA -- It is nearly nine and a half hours and approximately 608 miles to get from Seneca to Brookings, S.D.

So why would Irish basketball star Garrett Callahan make the long journey? How about for a Division I hoops scholarship to South Dakota State University?

The 6-foot-2, two-time consensus first-team all-state point guard who led Seneca to a perfect 35-0 record and a Class A state championship this season, inked a national letter of intent Monday to play for coach Scott Nagy and become a member of the Jackrabbit program.   .  .  .  

"I always figured I'd stay in Illinois to play," said Callahan, who admitted he didn't know anything about the program until they started recruiting him about a month and a half ago. "I took a visit out there last week and got a chance to play with and hang out with the players, and they seemed like a good group of guys to be around. Coach Nagy is all about winning and that's what I like."

Nagy was drawn to Callahan's playmaking intangibles.

"Just from watching him play, I knew that he could score, but it's the other things that he brings to a team that I want, like his toughness and smart play," Nagy said.

Callahan's prep coach, Doug Evans, felt Callahan had a realistic chance to play in the Division I ranks after a strong summer of playing against top-notch Class AA players.

"Definitely after watching Garrett this summer, I knew for sure he could play at the D1 level," Evans said. "We were playing some of the top Class AA schools in the state and he was going up against some kids that were going to sign with major D1 programs, and not only were we winning the games, but he was doing what he needed to do for us to win.

"He's got a lot of strengths, but I think his maturity and vision are his biggest assets. ... He's just got that sense of what needs to be done out on the floor. Most players just react; he envisions it."

Callahan feels he brings a legitimate lead guard to the Jackrabbit squad.

"They don't have a true point guard, so I want to go there and run the offense," Callahan said. "I'm going in there thinking if I work hard enough, I can go in and distribute the ball and get it where it needs to go so we can score."

Nagy has high hopes for his newest recruit.

"We expect him to play right away and compete for a starting position," Nagy said. "He's used to winning, and it's very important to me to have a guy that knows how to win. I expect as he grows and gets used to the college game, he'll become a great leader for us."

Playing Division I basketball is a dream come true for Callahan.

"I'm pretty sure I can play with the best in the nation, so going D1 was my goal, and I finally achieved it," Callahan said.

I am very excited about this kid!!!!

Go State!  

Comment

Nice to hear someone talk positively about coming to SD to play. Like the attitude already.
                            Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by Charger13
                              It looks like there is another Callahan, Griffan, on the team that is pretty good too.  He's 6-4, 185 and is one year younger than Garret (little brother?) was honerable mention this year at state.  He might be someone to keep an eye on next year.

Here is a pic of both Griffan (foreground) and Garret.

Go State!

Comment

Working...
                              X