Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2008-09 Season about to Tip off

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm View Post
    I don't imagine bball54 was bagging on UNO. She's from Canada. She doesn't know who UNO is.
    You are correct. We stopped playing UNO before Kai came to SDSU. UNO always seemed to be a physical team. They didn't always have the greatest outside shooters but they pushed the ball up the court and liked to press on defense to cause turnovers.
    Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
      You are correct. We stopped playing UNO before Kai came to SDSU. UNO always seemed to be a physical team. They didn't always have the greatest outside shooters but they pushed the ball up the court and liked to press on defense to cause turnovers.
      bbfan54:
      I think JackFroshfan owes you an apology. I dont know about you, but if there is one thing that bugs me is reading a technical article or even a sports story on any subject that is full of alphabet soup such as terms like UNO, especially when the article does not lead off with the explanation of Univeristy of Nebraska at Omaha(UNO) and you are left guessing about what the author is speaking of. There is a card game that you maybe aware of called UNO. Confusing without a doubt.

At any rate you can be proud of your son as he no doubt had a big hand in putting the UNO Mavericks in their comfortable D2 place. Also I noted over on the D2football board that Southwest Minnesota State University is playing in the West Coast Disney Classic and defeated Alaska Anchorage in their first game. Alaska I believe finished in the D2 final four last year. Not that its an excuse but makes me feel that given a healthy team and a supportive crowd, our guys will do okay.

Comment

That's ok my skin is thick. I'm a BRIT you know....
        Last edited by bballfan54; 11-08-2008, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Why do we play home open exhibition games then? If you look at most D-I schools they play close and sometimes even loose exhibition games to nobodies. I remember a few years ago NSU lost to Vanderbuilt I think it was by like 4. and Vandy was pretty decent that year.

I am not expecting a lot from this team this year. Nothing against the players but when your 1 and only true center is out for the year and you are small already it doesn't spell great season. When other players who contributed a lot last year are bothered with injuries also it doesn't help a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
            Why do we play home open exhibition games then? If you look at most D-I schools they play close and sometimes even loose exhibition games to nobodies. I remember a few years ago NSU lost to Vanderbuilt I think it was by like 4. and Vandy was pretty decent that year.

I am not expecting a lot from this team this year. Nothing against the players but when your 1 and only true center is out for the year and you are small already it doesn't spell great season. When other players who contributed a lot last year are bothered with injuries also it doesn't help a lot.
            My understanding of intent of the "exhibition games" is to give teams a chance to let all of their players play so that they have a better way to evaluate the talent and make decisions on redshirts, rotations, and what positions players fit into. Probably not much different then from the scrimmage against UNO other than we got to buy a seat and watch and SDSU gains some revenue. From a fan standpoint it can give a glimpse at some of the new recruits that have just come in. So you will often see a "NSU" play their best players for the whole game to try and get a big upset where the "Vandy" in the equation isn't necessarily interested in seeing what the veterans do but more about evaluating the new talent.

In our case, which has been discussed ad nausseum (spelling?, yikes) already, it hasn't been a lot of help due to our injuries coming in. My belief is that is how you have to look at an exhibition is like a scrimmage against another team. In other words, you can't put much stock in it. Others have different opinions.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bballfan54 View Post
              That's ok my skin is think. I'm a BRIT you know....
              And a mighty fine one too.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
                And a mighty fine one too.
                Why thankyou

Comment

Originally posted by rabbit_boy View Post
                  The problem is not with the players. They seem to be good guys who are also serious about their education. We just dont seem to have enough Div I talent. That is the coaching staffs fault and is why we need a change. there is no point is being like an ostrich anymore and denying the reality of the state of the team. Things will NOT get better with the current staff.
                  amen...A-M-E-N....

Comment

For what it is worth, it is interesting to note that Southwest Minnesota State, after winning its exhibition against SDSU, went out to the Disney West Coast Classic Friday, beat Alaska Anchorage (which was 29-6 last year, won the West Coast Regional, and went to the D-II final four) 60-55, and followed that up with a 103-52 thrashing of Humboldt (CA) State University on Saturday. If you're interested in reading more, here's the link:

http://smsumustangs.com/index.aspx?t...ll&path=mbball

Comment

Jacks#1Fan, thanks for the link. It doesn't make me feel any better about how things went for the Jacks. Thanks again for the link.

Comment

Someplace in past posts is a quote from Nagy stating that his best DII teams would have won about seventeen games (believe this was against 2006-07 competition). I don't think it's simply a matter of not getting DI talent. I think things have actually gone down hill.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                          For what it is worth, it is interesting to note that Southwest Minnesota State, after winning its exhibition against SDSU, went out to the Disney West Coast Classic Friday, beat Alaska Anchorage (which was 29-6 last year, won the West Coast Regional, and went to the D-II final four) 60-55, and followed that up with a 103-52 thrashing of Humboldt (CA) State University on Saturday. If you're interested in reading more, here's the link:

well, their goal must've been to WIN then.

Comment

I don't think the SW State should mean anything. If you take a banged up team with little to no inside presence, run no set plays and shoot poorly you aren't going to beat high school teams. The fact that it was as close as it was should say something. This team has good players, the 2 parts where I have seen the problems is at perimeter shooting and inside play, especially rebounding. Games where we out rebound we win, games where we hit from the perimeter we either win or have a good game. We have a lot of talent on this team, I think where we need to look at is getting that center. I thought we had it in Davis but it looks like he is out for the year.... I really think we need to hit the JuCo route. We have had very bad luck with it though so I understand why the coaches have been hesitant to go that route.

Everybody can point fingers, and some deserve to be pointed but pointing fingers don't get anywhere.... I think this team will win around 10 games.... If Davis where to play I think it would be closer to 15....

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post

Alaska Anchorage lost their top 4 scorers, 18.5, 15.4, 13.3, 7.7. These four seniors also were the top rebounders, assists, blocks, & steals. This is a whole new team.

Comment

Originally posted by Just in the crowd View Post
                                Alaska Anchorage lost their top 4 scorers, 18.5, 15.4, 13.3, 7.7. These four seniors also were the top rebounders, assists, blocks, & steals. This is a whole new team.
                                How about this then, SMSU beat 24th ranked Fort Lewis 79-65. SMSU had at least a 9 point lead the last 15 minutes of the game. SMSU is 3-0 and Fort Lewis is 2-1.
                                I know it's early in the season but they beat a team that is supposed to be good this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X