This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009-10 Recruits

I thought we already had a thread for incoming 2009 players (i.e. White and Fiegen). But apparently not. I'll even sticky it for future reference.

On that note . . . it's a bit tardy, but I'm finally getting around to putting up a link to Jackrabbit1's call of the end of the Madison-Tri Valley state tournament game.

http://sdsufans.com/external/MHSvTVH-3-13-08.mp3
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: 2009-10 Recruits

[quote=filbert;80739]

On that note . . . it's a bit tardy, but I'm finally getting around to putting up a link to Jackrabbit1's call of the end of the Madison-Tri Valley state tournament game.

quote]

Madison did not play Tri-Valley in the State A tournament. Lennox is probably who you are talking about.

I was at the State "A" tournament just as a basketball fan, and as an interested party to watch White and Fiegen.

They both could use a steady three course McD's diet and a weight room, but I guess they are only juniors in h.s. They both have very well rounded games, but typically as the tallest guys on the court are not into rebounding much, but if anybody can drive them to rebound Scott Nagy is the guy.

White needs to go to a ball handling clinic to be able to dribble as good as he thinks he does. He would then be a huge asset by cutting down his turnovers.

Fiegen needed to be more of an inside presence in that tournament, but Madison's coach seemed to be clueless on how to break a 2-3 zone causing him to play outside of 15 feet a lot and then creating for himself. Fiegen was an absolute force against Lennox in crunch time and then in the title game against Platte, he seemed very disinterested and lackadasical, which was odd since a person would think in a state title game, emotions would be high.

One more year of maturation will do them both well, as of right now and what I saw in three games, I would say Fiegen will be the best asset to the Jacks.

Comment

Well the Dakota Schoolers posted their roster for the Boy's 17 and under group. Here it is

Code:
      Jersey #   Athlete          Height                   School                               Grade 08
        3          Adol Aluong           6'0"     Sioux Falls Roosevelt High School    Junior
        4          Mike Felt                6'2"          Redwood Valley High School        Senior
      11         Jordan Snyder       6'5"             West Central High School           Senior
      20         David Maxwell       6'4"                 Parkston High School              Senior
      24         Chad White           6'6"                  Madison High School              Senior
      31         Tony Fiegen          6'7"                  Madison High School              Senior
      32         Brayden Carlson   6'4"                Brookings High School             Senior
      34         Cody Larson         6'8"        Sioux Falls Roosevelt High School   Junior
      35         Dustin Tetzlaff       6'7"               Watertown High School              Senior
      41         Trevor Gruis          6'7"                 Ellsworth High School                Junior
      The grade listed is the grade they will be in this fall. As you can see our '09-'10 recruits Chad White and Tony Fiegen are on the team again. It also looks like Mr. Felt will be playing for them this year also. Cadsev has been on this board hyping this kid, he did have two games with 40 points and one game with 50 points this year as a junior. It also looks like Dustin Tetzlaff is back to playing ball again. I hear that the jury is still out on him if he is a D-1 prospect or not. I would hope that SDSU has the inside track to him if we offer. If not, I would like to see him walk-on. We can use a power forward.

Here is the link to the Dakota Schoolers website. They also have the upcoming schedule for this spring and summer. It looks like they will be in Sioux Falls on three separate occasions. Someone from the board should check them out and report back how good the Felt kid is, how White and Fiegen are doing and so forth.

On a side note, the Dakota Schoolers are also going to have a girl's team this year for the first time. You can see their roster at the link posted above.

Go State!!!
      Go Jacks!!!
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Despite losing another player, SDSU men's basketball coach Scott Nagy doesn't believe the program will be hit with any academic progress rate (APR) sanctions when the NCAA releases the annual numbers later today. As for what might happen with the newly available scholarship, it has reportedly been offered to junior guard Michael Felt of Redwood Valley, a summer teammate of SDSU recruits Chad White and Tony Fiegen.
        http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...rgusleader.com

According to TV, an offer has been made to Michael Felt.

Felt was second team All-State in Minnesota last year. The only junior on the first or second team, the rest were seniors. I'm pretty certain that All-State in Minnesota is for all classes, so that's pretty impressive.

He also has an offer from NDSU. I've also read that he has garnered some interest from Creighton and the U of M.
        LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Minnesota Preps had confirmed also that the 6'1 Felt has an offer from SDSU and NDSU. They also were quoted as saying Felt has Quality DI interest with great tools in the backcourt and a fantastic shooting stroke.

Jacks also looking at 6'7 forward Mike Muscala of Roseville who is "capable of exploding for point production with good versatility.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
            "capable of exploding for point production with good versatility

Wow, I'm stealing that description and putting on my next evaluation for work. That's gotta impress the boss.
            LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Jacks had offer out to Nick Burns a 6'1 guard from Seward CC along with a few other DI schools. He chose instead DII West Texas A&M. Originally from Portland Oregon.

Comment

Jacks have expressed interest in Tyler Lange a 6'6 wing forward from Urbandale Iowa. Plays AAU for All Iowa Attack.

Comment

My first post....yeah! Who are our 2009 recruits coming in?

Comment

Welcome to the board!

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
                      My first post....yeah! Who are our 2009 recruits coming in?
                      I believe we have two verbal committments at this time. Tony Feigen and Chad White, both from Madison. We have one more scholarship to give out. We have offered it to Mike Felt from Redwood Valley, Minnesota. NDSU has also offered to Mike Felt. Some Missouri Valley teams are interested in Mike, but they don't have a scholarship to offer him.

There is another guard, Nate Wolters that SDSU and NDSU are interested in, but according to this article they only have sent a letter. Here is a portion of the article.

All-Area boys basketball: Wolters is the best

By Tom Elliott • telliott@stcloudtimes.com • April 4, 2008

Less than a day after helping St. Cloud Tech to its best finish in 28 years, Nate Wolters was practicing — what else? — basketball.

He was trying out for an AAU team, the Comets. He took a day off, then went over to the Whitney Recreation Center and shot — what else? — baskets.

Wolters is what coaches affectionately call a ‘gym rat.’
                      Find an open gym in St. Cloud and Wolters is likely to have been there.
                      His dedication to the game and his standout 2007-08 season are reasons why he has been selected as the Times’ Boys Basketball Player of the Year.

“I’ve been playing with him since the fourth grade,” said Tech senior center Collin Stinogel. “He’s always been the same. He has a certain joy about playing basketball since I can remember.

“He works on his game a lot. You go to Whitney and you see him there a lot.”

Wolters heads the five-player all-area team that is selected by the Times staff based on nominations from area coaches.

Also on the team is Little Falls’ Ronnie Kornbaum, St. Cloud Apollo’s Andre Garth, Rocori’s Sam Feldhege and Foley’s Jake Voigt.

Wolters, Kornbaum and Garth are juniors. Feldhege and Voigt are seniors.
                      Wolters, a 6-foot-3 swing man, helped Tech to a third-place finish in the state Class 4A tournament, the Tigers’ best ending since taking second place in state in 1980.

“He was definitely better this year than last year,” said Tech head coach Randy Jordan. “This year, I felt like he made the players around him better.”

Wolters was an All-Central Lakes Conference selection as a sophomore as Tech showed promise for a good 2007-08 season. It ended up even better than hoped. This season, Wolters led the Tigers to a co-conference championship with Willmar and ended up leading the CLC in scoring at 21 points per game.

“I had him written down as the MVP in my book,” said Rocori head coach Bob Brink. “Him and (Alex) Hanks were really tough in our games with them.

“He penetrates well and he’s a real nice passer. And if you leave him alone, he can shoot it, too. Drive, pass, shoot, he does it all for them.”

Family game

When Walters isn’t in an open gym and the weather’s all right, he can be found shooting baskets on the outside basketball court at his home. His dad Roger Wolters, is from Little Falls and played for the Flyers in the early 1970s. His uncle Gary Wolters led the state tournament in scoring for Little Falls in 1977.

“It’s relaxing to shoot outside,” he said. “I definitely grew up around the game of basketball.”

Jordan agreed.

“He really enjoys the game,” Jordan said. “He spends a lot of time watching it on TV. You’ll see him watching games at St. Cloud State a lot. It seems like he’s always got a basketball in his hands.”

Wolters has two older sisters. The younger of the two is Kristin Wolters, who is a sophomore at Bethel University, where she plays basketball.

“I definitely want to play college somewhere,” he said.

He has gotten letters from places like South Dakota State, North Dakota State and Augustana, though coaches can’t contact him until June because he’s a junior.
                      You can read the entire article here.

If I were reading between the lines, I would speculate that Nate Wolters is a fall back position for both SDSU and NDSU. Mike Felt will probably have a choice between NDSU and SDSU, which ever team he does not chose, will probably offer Nate Wolters.

Nate Wolters plays for the Minnesota Comets in AAU ball and Mike Felt plays for the Dakota Schoolers (Chad White and Tony Feigen also play for the Schoolers). Recently the Comets and Schoolers played a 2OT game with the Comets coming out ahead. Nate had 30 points and Felt had 11. Here is a recap of the game.

Friday, May 9, 2008

Sabes Invitational Friday Action

An interesting Friday night at the Sabes Invitational. No programs at the event so we'll see how good my research turns out to be.

Game 1 of the night was the MN Comets Elite vs Dakota Schoolers. Out of the gate, Nate Wolters (St. Cloud Tech) vs Mike Felt (Redwood Valley). Felt and the Schoolers struggling vs the Comets pressure man. Wolters getting his hands on everything. Schoolers take their 1st lead 22-21 with 6:30 to go in the 1st half, but the Comets stretch it out to 41-30 at the half. Wolters with 17 pts, 4 stls and at least a half dozen other deflections. Felt with just 3 FTs (3-3 FTs when fouled on a 3) in the 1st half. Cody Larson of the Schoolers with 11 in the 1st half.

Felt starts out the 2nd half hot with back to back 3s and its a 11-0 Schoolers run over the 1st 3:40 of the 2nd half to tie it at 41 . Wolters with nothing in the half so far but with 8 minutes to go in the half he gets 2 buckets, kicks to Alex Hanks for 3 and then scores 2 more to be a part of 9 straight Comets points. The Schoolers are matching him and after that 2 minute Wolters spurt, its 54-50 Comets. 2 Larson FTs and a stl to a 3 from Chad White tie it at 58 with 2:47 to play. Larson continuing to play well in the 2nd half as he gets a 3 pt play with 1:46 left to make it 63-60 Schoolers. Wolters misses a triple, but Larson inexplicably takes and misses a triple with 1 minute left. This leads to Wolters knocking down a clutch 3 to tie at 63 with 47 seconds left. Both teams miss chances late and we go to overtime.

In the 1st overtime, the Comets lead by 1 with 40 seconds left and have the ball. But the Schoolers get a steal and recover a Larson miss. Tony Fiegen makes 1 of 2 FTs with 6.7 left and we go to double overtime tied at 69. Trevor Gruis (Ellsworth) gets a deuce to tie it at 73 with 1:30 left in the2nd OT. Larson misses a chance to tie the game with 35 seconds left and Wolters knocks down 2 FTs with 31.2 left to ice it. Final Score 78-73 MN Comets win in 2 OT. Nate Wolters with 30 pts for the winners and was a force on the defensive end vs Mike Felt. Felt with a quiet 11 for the Schoolers. Cody Larson with 22, including 3 triples for the Schoolers.
                      I would be happy with either Felt or Wolters.

Go State!!!
                      Go Jacks!!!
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)

Comment

With a detailed response like that, man am I glad I'm a part of this site! Thanks for the information.

Comment

Good info, indeed, NorCal. Wolters does seem like an intriguing prospect.
                          This space for lease.

Comment

Wolters is very good and would be a good player in the Summit League. Different strengths than Felt. Wolters an ideal big strong PG with good athleticism and Felt can flat out stroke it but can't create his own at the DI level yet. Either one of these two would be a very good get for the Jacks. Don't think either player could be considered a "fall-back" guy.

Comment

Here is an article from Terry V. about the Madison kids.

SDSU recruits enjoying stress-free play

Madison seniors aren't worrying about college choice after giving verbal commitments 18 months ago

Terry Vandrovec • tvandrovec@argusleader.com • June 2, 2008

It's been 18 months since Tony Fiegen and Chad White, small-town boys with scant high school experience, made verbal commitments to play men's basketball at South Dakota State, bringing a national recruiting trend to the local level.

In the interim, Fiegen blew up and White went down with a knee injury. Yet both upcoming Madison High seniors intend to honor their commitments come the November early signing period and believe that the Jackrabbits will do the same.
                              . . .
                              White gauged his condition at 90 percent, but said that he has lost eight inches on his vertical jump and isn't as explosive off the dribble. There is a noticeable hitch in his giddy-up during full-court jaunts, and he did not suit up for the finale of the Dakota Schoolers Summer Classic on Sunday.
                              . . .
                              Meanwhile, Fiegen - the less proven of the two at the time of commitment - has blossomed.
                              The 6-foot-7 forward was a first-team pick on the Class A all-state team in his first year as a starter, averaging 18.7 points and 10.1 rebounds for the state runners-up. He is athletic, has good range and continues to fill out his broad shoulders.

"I was a ball boy at SDSU," explained Fiegen, whose dad, Ed, used to be the school's Alumni Association president, "and I like it a lot there."
                              You can read the rest of the article here.

Go State!!!
                              Go Jacks!!!
                              Last edited by filbert; 06-03-2008, 12:37 PM. Reason: Edited quote to better conform to Fair Use of copyrighted article
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)

Comment

Working...
                              X