This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2008-09 Recruits

That is not quite accurate.  Although the scholarships are technically awarded one year at a time, SDSU cannot fail to renew a scholarship on the basis of performance, ability, contribution to the team, injury or any other athletic related reason.  A scholarship can only be non-renewed if the athlete renders him/herself ineligible, has provided fradulent information, voluntarily quits the team, or engages in serious misconduct.  For details see the NCAA certification report, page 126.

Comment

Can a school give a scholarship in advance for example... Louie Krogman would walk on one year with the understanding that he would get a scholarship the following year. I have heard that he would consider that if Schilling or Iverson signed there.... just here say bar talk nothing factorial.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22
        Can a school give a scholarship in advance for example... Louie Krogman would walk on one year with the understanding that he would get a scholarship the following year. I have heard that he would consider that if Schilling or Iverson signed there.... just here say bar talk nothing factorial.
        Yes. Michael Loney is an example. He walked on and then later was awarded a scholarship. Stig has also done this while the FB program has been ramping up scholarships. They have given experienced walk-ons scholarships rather than using all of the new scholarships on freshmen.
        Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

A DI school can not guarantee a future scholarship to an athlete. They can ask the athlete to walk on and then give them a scholarship down the road but they technically can not recruit an athlete as a walk on the first year and then promise them a scholarship for subsequent years. It may happen that way but it can not be promised.

Comment

I got a chance to see the Championship game of the Dakota Shootout at Augie's gym and Brennan Cougill was the best player on the floor that night and completely dominated Colton Iverson. The Barnstormer guards seemed to be a step quicker than the Heat.

Comment

Colton, Louie, and Cody plus the rest of the very good SD Heat squad just won the Hoosier Shootout in Indiana this morning and there was tons of D 1 talent in this field, plus the first time to be able to play in front of D1 coaching staffs. Iverson was MVP, I think he just bought himself a much brighter future this past weekend as did Schilling. Might be tough to nab either now, but oh well you got the Madison boys (I'm not sold on these guys, sorry).

Comment

Well they do have two more years of High School, maybe they will win you over.

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute
                  Colton, Louie, and Cody plus the rest of the very good SD Heat squad just won the Hoosier Shootout in Indiana this morning and there was tons of D 1 talent in this field, plus the first time to be able to play in front of D1 coaching staffs. Iverson was MVP, I think he just bought himself a much brighter future this past weekend as did Schilling. Might be tough to nab either now, but oh well you got the Madison boys (I'm not sold on these guys, sorry).

Geeze Dwight way to go out on a limb there with your prediction that Iverson would go bigger than SDSU. Where have you been all summer long. This event didn't launch him into the spotlight of High Major DI recruiting. He could have stayed home this week and not picked up a ball and been recruited higher than SDSU. I'd try to explain it to you but you'd come back with sour grapes analogy and all regarding my opinion on the kids mentioned above. The guy is 6'11" and the most recruitable athlete in the 2008 class.......if I'm not mistaken I posted that back in October or November of 2006. But back then people though those posts were idiotic. Funny how things work out......again thanks for enlightening us all on how this works.

Comment

Originally posted by Cadsev
                    [quote author=Dwight Schrute link=1160372003/315#320 date=1184009836]Colton, Louie, and Cody plus the rest of the very good SD Heat squad just won the Hoosier Shootout in Indiana this morning and there was tons of D 1 talent in this field, plus the first time to be able to play in front of D1 coaching staffs.  Iverson was MVP, I think he just bought himself a much brighter future this past weekend as did Schilling.  Might be tough to nab either now, but oh well you got the Madison boys (I'm not sold on these guys, sorry).

Geeze Dwight way to go out on a limb there with your prediction that Iverson would go bigger than SDSU.  Where have you been all summer long.  This event didn't launch him into the spotlight of High Major DI recruiting.  He could have stayed home this week and not picked up a ball and been recruited higher than SDSU.  I'd try to explain it to you but you'd come back with sour grapes analogy and all regarding my opinion on the kids mentioned above.  The guy is 6'11" and the most recruitable athlete in the 2008 class.......if I'm not mistaken I posted that back in October or November of 2006.  But back then people though those posts were idiotic.  Funny how things work out......again thanks for enlightening us all on how this works.[/quote]

Nope I think Colton just opened even more eyes this past weekend and felt that I could make a statement like this and be ok with it as SDSU was a hopeful destination for some fans of him including myself. It reaffirms peoples thoughts about him and also includes your 2006 predictions. He put several big game together in a row and people who may not have considered him may now. That's all I'm saying here and sorry that I charred your hide with these comments.

Comment

Might be tough to nab either now, but oh well you got the Madison boys (I'm not sold on these guys, sorry).
                      Well Cadsev said that both of the Madison kids are good recruits and that it was best that we tied them up before other schools had a chance to get to them. They are both going to be juniors this year and are still developing. I will take Cadsev's player analysis over DS's player analysis any day. The fact that you are "not sold on these guys" is probably a good thing for SDSU, since you weren't sold on Iverson last year either and look at were he has grown into.

I'm not stating that either Madison player will evolve into an Iverson, mainly because Iverson is 6-11 and the Madison players are 6-6 or 6-7. But they still have two more years of high school basketball and another year of AAU ball to develop.

Go State!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Colton Iverson is 6-9 he says so himself... I wouldn't be surprized if Fiegan ends up as tall if not taller then Colton Iverson.

Comment

Dont forget about the all the height hyping that happens. SI ran an article a few years ago that said 90% of all NCAA players listed at 6'9 were actually 6'7. Some programs are worse than others. general rule of thumb is subtract two inches to get real height.

Comment

FWIW- Tubby and Saul Smith were following Colton around today in Kentucky after an assistant put out a good word on him from watching his performance in Indianapolis. He has quite an impressive list of programs checking him out. He's now on the Gopher radar as well.

Comment

FWIW- Tubby and Saul Smith were following Colton around today in Kentucky after an assistant put out a good word on him from watching his performance in Indianapolis. He has quite an impressive list of programs checking him out. He's now on the Gopher radar as well.

He's more than just on their radar. Schools can not contact the athlete or the athletes summer coach while the team is competing at a certified event. Colton may not have heard from the schools yet but the offers are coming. The event ends on Thursday. Friday will be a busy day for Colton. His scholarship offers will soar. Half the Big Ten and Big Twelve will offer and it makes his decision much more difficult. Most likely he'll stay close to home. Missouri Valley Schools have also expressed interest in him.

At this point in time the word interest can be interchanged with scholarship offer. There is a reason that Tubby is in Louisville along with Todd Licklicter, Gregg McDermott, Steve Alford, Dana Altman, Ed Dechelious etc. These aren't letters or emails being sent to the athletes.....this is for real now. When head coaches start showing up that equates to offers being made and the school showing genuine interest in the athlete. They aren't just watching now to evaluate. These schools will be camped out at each game Colton plays for the remainder of the summer. Face time with the athlete is the name of the game now. This is where others on the team can benefit from having a 6'11" post player. Mid majors (and please don't get carried away thinking that others on the team are drawing this attention) see the team play enough and eventually start thinking hum......maybe that guard can play in our league. I credit the athletes on the team for recognizing that Colton is the man to ride and involve to have success. The team has done a much better job with that in the past 7 days. More so than the previous 5 events. Bigs sell and bigs help you win.

Colton is also benefiting from being one of the larger athletes in these events. Many many top athletes are in Philadelphia and Akron this week at the Reebok and Nike camps. Colton has put some solid games together and hasn't been challenged too much. The bigger schools are seeing what he can do but it's killing the Mid Major schools who would have had a better shot at him if there was a bit more competition against him. (before you blow me out of the water these aren't my words but observations passed on to me by coaches at the events). Coltons potential has not been reached and the schools realize that he could be something special.

Colton's height is a non factor at this point in the game. No coach is pulling out a yard stick to get an actual read. Please move on to more relevant issues such as where will the kid decide to go? If SDSU lands Colton then he truly wants to stay home. With his potential size, skill level and the probability of making good cash playing hoops after college.......I doubt that SDSU would be his choice. Still credit Coach Nagy for being at the games this past week.

The Heat have had a great run and I congratulate them on their success. More so I'm excited for Colton because it's nice to be wanted and more fun to have choices.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22
                                Colton Iverson is 6-9 he says so himself... I wouldn't be surprized if Fiegan ends up as tall if not taller then Colton Iverson.
                                I wouldn't be surprised either ........ I would be SHOCKED....no way Fiegen ends up as tall or taller than Colton.

Comment

Working...
                                X