GDT: USD vs SDSU 4pm Frost Arena CBSSN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post

The silence after the anthem until the colors are retired is something special that I have never seen elsewhere.

SUPERBUNNY
    For sure. Over 3K in attendance and I didn’t hear one accidental clap at the conclusion of the anthem.

Gives me chills

Comment

I think, and I've said this in here a couple times this year... something is just missing.

I don't know what.

The team just isn't clicking. They aren't bad. If they play poorly, they seem to be able to play themselves back into games.

We are a bad 3 point defending team right now. I think we allow the highest percentage in the summit (or next to it).

Some of that is luck. We have teams shoot lights out against us. (like KC averages 8 a game, and had 13 with 8 minutes to go).

But some of that is how we play it too...and certain guys (I don't want to name names...but basically anyone not named Easely or Mims... are slow to closeout on shooters. That half second makes a big difference)
      Hendo and crew take pride and put significant effort into dominating the play in the paint, and I agree with this philosophy. It just seems like we're getting caught helping inside a bit too much.

Take that for what it's worth. I'm not a college DI coach.

Offensively, There are signs things are improving. Mims is finding his stroke, Garry is gaining confidence, and Appel has had a few games where he's rounding back into form.

It's all there. This is not a bad team at all. In fact, if they ever put it together for a whole game... they are going to put a whooping on someone.

I don't think they've played a complete game yet in the summit, and are still tied for 1st. That should tell you something.

I believe in them. Just got to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
        I think, and I've said this in here a couple times this year... something is just missing.

I don't know what.

The team just isn't clicking. They aren't bad. If they play poorly, they seem to be able to play themselves back into games.

We are a bad 3 point defending team right now. I think we allow the highest percentage in the summit (or next to it).

Some of that is luck. We have teams shoot lights out against us. (like KC averages 8 a game, and had 13 with 8 minutes to go).

But some of that is how we play it too...and certain guys (I don't want to name names...but basically anyone not named Easely or Mims... are slow to closeout on shooters. That half second makes a big difference)
        Hendo and crew take pride and put significant effort into dominating the play in the paint, and I agree with this philosophy. It just seems like we're getting caught helping inside a bit too much.

Take that for what it's worth. I'm not a college DI coach.

Offensively, There are signs things are improving. Mims is finding his stroke, Garry is gaining confidence, and Appel has had a few games where he's rounding back into form.

It's all there. This is not a bad team at all. In fact, if they ever put it together for a whole game... they are going to put a whooping on someone.

I don't think they've played a complete game yet in the summit, and are still tied for 1st. That should tell you something.

I believe in them. Just got to do it.

I think it’s a very difficult time to be coaching at the mid-major level.
        1. Your top players believe they should have NIL deals at a Power 5 (4) school. This might not be the case at SDSU, but I guarantee it’s an issue for a mig-major coaches.
        2. Every team has 1-3 players complaining about “their” minutes. That seems to be all basketball teams. No matter the level.
        3. Coaches have no clue what their roster is going to look like next season.
        4. They’re constantly recruiting their current players, all while trying to recruit high school seniors.
        5. Social media and all these players are connected. They know what other players are getting ($$$$) at other schools. The grass is always greener……
        6. Parents hitting up social media when they’re not happy.

I understand that some of these issues existed in the past but the portal, NIL and social media have made this a crazy time to coach at this level.
        I know a buzz word in college basketball right now is “connected”. I believe it’s really difficult to keep your team connected. I admire all these guys coaching at the mid-major level. I agree that something just seems off with this team. A couple of wins can make everything better. We’ll see what happens here in the next 6 weeks.

Go Rabbits!

Comment

Very well said. I agree. It's making it tough on the mid majors. Shoot, it's tough on the majors, to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by 6-4-3 Jackrabbit View Post

I think it’s a very difficult time to be coaching at the mid-major level.
            1. Your top players believe they should have NIL deals at a Power 5 (4) school. This might not be the case at SDSU, but I guarantee it’s an issue for a mig-major coaches.
            2. Every team has 1-3 players complaining about “their” minutes. That seems to be all basketball teams. No matter the level.
            3. Coaches have no clue what their roster is going to look like next season.
            4. They’re constantly recruiting their current players, all while trying to recruit high school seniors.
            5. Social media and all these players are connected. They know what other players are getting ($$$$) at other schools. The grass is always greener……
            6. Parents hitting up social media when they’re not happy.

I understand that some of these issues existed in the past but the portal, NIL and social media have made this a crazy time to coach at this level.
            I know a buzz word in college basketball right now is “connected”. I believe it’s really difficult to keep your team connected. I admire all these guys coaching at the mid-major level. I agree that something just seems off with this team. A couple of wins can make everything better. We’ll see what happens here in the next 6 weeks.

Go Rabbits!
            Great post. I can't imagine trying to navigate this.

Hendo pisses Zeke off and you can kiss him goodbye because there is nothing preventing him from bolting. How in the world can a coach ever hold a player accountable? It turns into the inmates are running the asylum at some point.

There needs to be restrictions on transferring. Waive those restrictions in the event of a coaching change or if a school releases a player, but the commitment a player makes to a school needs to mean something.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post

The silence after the anthem until the colors are retired is something special that I have never seen elsewhere.

SUPERBUNNY
              every player i ever coached knows that the expected respectful behavior meant to honor everyone who has fought for the flag is to maintain the respectful observance of the flag until it LEAVES the field of play (court, field, diamond,etc...) it is incredibly annoying that this is not properly taught at so many schools

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

every player i ever coached knows that the expected respectful behavior meant to honor everyone who has fought for the flag is to maintain the respectful observance of the flag until it LEAVES the field of play (court, field, diamond,etc...) it is incredibly annoying that this is not properly taught at so many schools
                I'd be curious about what prompts them to announce that fans should refrain from cheering until the colors are retired at basketball games but not football.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

I'd be curious about what prompts them to announce that fans should refrain from cheering until the colors are retired at basketball games but not football.
                  couldnt make a guess

related- one school i coached at, our superintendant was a veteran and had the students well educated about proper respect of the flag. the flag corps would march to mid field and obviously after the anthem needed to leave from midfield. nobody cheered from the time the flag entered the field until it was off the field again. VERY COOL

most colleges the flag corps takes only a few steps into one endzone or the other, if there is a flag corps at all

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

Great post. I can't imagine trying to navigate this.

Hendo pisses Zeke off and you can kiss him goodbye because there is nothing preventing him from bolting. How in the world can a coach ever hold a player accountable? It turns into the inmates are running the asylum at some point.

There needs to be restrictions on transferring. Waive those restrictions in the event of a coaching change or if a school releases a player, but the commitment a player makes to a school needs to mean something.
                    Agree, too many things get watered down to mean nothing nowadays like commitment , not just in sports, but commitment to many things.

Comment

I liked it when transfers had to sit a year unless there was a good reason not to. Kept things more honest I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by 73alum View Post
                        A lot of talk about Jack's men's vs women's teams...who really has it going on and who doesn't!!!

But could this happen???

Last year on January 28th, the men were (11-11) (6-4) vs now the men are (13-11) (6-3)!! I had forgotten, but last year, the men went on a 7 game winning streak after January 28th!! They finished the season before the tourney at 13-5 in the Summit. Mostly they used only 7 players especially the last 10 games. And Easley and AA they were w/o for some games. Somehow they turned it around. I'm guessing last year, most of us didn't expect the team to turn it around. Guess we will see!!
                        Guess I will repost this. The men basically had the same response in February and March this year as last year going on a 7-1 run now to win the Summit!!!
                        I did not expect this but they really came through!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X