GDT: Friars(#4) vs Jackrabbits(#13) 11:40CDT Key Bank Center TruTV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by salemjack View Post
    Baylor was fun to watch. Played his ass off.
    Doug tried to do too much.
    Appel was completely outmatched.
    I love Alex Arians.
    I am excited to keep watching Zeke Mayo.
    Dentlinger is a step too slow.
    Mims played hard.

Tough loss, but what a great season.
    I agree with most of this. Doug tied to do too much has really been his MO. Great player and fun watch but has a history taking wild shots.

In a game against a Big Ten school, every possession is extremely valuable and we had way too many lazy passes and poor shot selections, especially in the first half.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jackbacker123 View Post

I agree with most of this. Doug tied to do too much has really been his MO. Great player and fun watch but has a history taking wild shots.

In a game against a Big Ten school, every possession is extremely valuable and we had way too many lazy passes and poor shot selections, especially in the first half.
      not too mention mims didn’t do squat

Comment

Baylor was fun to watch. Played his ass off.
        Doug tried to do too much.
        Appel was completely outmatched.
        I love Alex Arians.
        I am excited to keep watching Zeke Mayo.
        Dentlinger is a step too slow.
        Mims played hard.

Tough loss, but what a great season.
        Baylor- great
        Doug- He played like he was playing Summit league players not players that are taller and more athletic. I wish he would help Baylor and Arians (this game) with defensive rebounding. He was guarding a player in the lane and only had 2 defensive rebounds. I don't think it was just boxing his man out but I could be wrong. He did stay out of foul trouble which was great.
        Appel- He just can't push around players like be can in the Summit League. Not tall enough or athletic enough against teams like this.
        Arians- played great
        Zeke- Played good but stepped out of bounds twice. Stay i bounds and hit one of those two shots and the game is tied near the end.
        Detlinger- Same as Apple but he doesn't bull rush players like Apple does.
        Mims- Forced one of his two shots but played fine.

SDSU just needed to have one more player help Baylor, Wilson and Arians. The rest of the team was 4-17, 13 points, 8 rebounds and 7 fouls in 85 minutes of playing time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jackbacker123 View Post

YES our turnovers were extremely costly!!!

i dont even know how many we had?? it probably was NOT a gross number but in a game with this low score EVERY possession was huge and we had too many unforced turnovers

the things we COULD control that we did not were our turnovers and WOW their backup post MURDERED us on the boards!!!

we held their stud under control. but Croswell the backup post played less than 20 minutes and had almost 10 boards and also had his hands on a bunch of balls causing turnovers

AND you are correct Doug has been unbelievably aggressive since the first second he stepped on the court for us!!! it is absolutely a big key to what makes him GREAT!!! but like i said to my players a MILLION TIMES your biggest strength is VERY OFTEN also your biggest weakness

and sometimes the aggressive nature bites Doug in the butt. overall he has been amazing and you have to just love him for who he is

and NOT NOT NOT trying to rip baylor but in truth he is very similar!!

the lobs and behind the back passes are awesome when they are going well!! but he has always had moments where these things hurt us too. i feel like he has really toned down the painful turnovers this year but today he DEFINITELY forced some lobs and no look and thread the needle passes that DID NOT work

i love Doug I love Baylor and I LOVE THIS TEAM!!!! you have to love the bad with the good. do all you can to learn from the mistakes and keep moving forward)))!!!

i truly TRULY do not know how you can lose an all time great like doug and get better?? BUT THIS TEAM WILL BE BETTER NEXT YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! as long as injuries do not cause problems

the boys will be better next year!! the girls will be better next year!! football will be better next year!!! volleyball will be better, wrestling will be better, and so on and on and on!!! the jackrabbit athletic rocket ship is just doing nothing but going up up up

Comment

• Originally posted by filbert View Post
            I'll just leave this here:

It seems like those two have a special connection. From rolling around the floor together after winning the Summit. to today after losing. looks like a friendship that will continue after basketball.

Comment

• Originally posted by 91jack View Post

Baylor- great
              Doug- He played like he was playing Summit league players not players that are taller and more athletic. I wish he would help Baylor and Arians (this game) with defensive rebounding. He was guarding a player in the lane and only had 2 defensive rebounds. I don't think it was just boxing his man out but I could be wrong. He did stay out of foul trouble which was great.
              Appel- He just can't push around players like be can in the Summit League. Not tall enough or athletic enough against teams like this.
              Arians- played great
              Zeke- Played good but stepped out of bounds twice. Stay i bounds and hit one of those two shots and the game is tied near the end.
              Detlinger- Same as Apple but he doesn't bull rush players like Apple does.
              Mims- Forced one of his two shots but played fine.

SDSU just needed to have one more player help Baylor, Wilson and Arians. The rest of the team was 4-17, 13 points, 8 rebounds and 7 fouls in 85 minutes of playing time.
              I think that Appel obviously wasn't 100 %. Easley had a tough go of it, looked like he had a pretty big size mismatch.

Comment

• To put some salt in the wound, Iowa is about to lose to Richmond.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoJacks2011 View Post
                  To put some salt in the wound, Iowa is about to lose to Richmond.
                  I thought right away that it would have much better matching up with Rebraca underneath than the Providence bigs.

Comment

• i truly TRULY do not know how you can lose an all time great like doug and get better?? BUT THIS TEAM WILL BE BETTER NEXT YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! as long as injuries do not cause problems

[/QUOTE]
                    I think for postseason success I really wish we could add a dynamic forward piece. I know we don’t use the portal much and I hope we stick to recruiting high school and developing but a 6 foot 7 slashing forward that can set screens, shoot decent, rebound, and defend would be huge for this team. You can still use Appel and Dentlinger at Center and some PF, but some added size and athleticism would be huge for when we play these bigger teams. It would take some of the burden of rebound off of Baylor and help us defensively. I doubt it happens, but if the right piece was there it would be an amazing pick up.

Comment

i truly TRULY do not know how you can lose an all time great like doug and get better?? BUT THIS TEAM WILL BE BETTER NEXT YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! as long as injuries do not cause problems
                      I think for postseason success I really wish we could add a dynamic forward piece. I know we don’t use the portal much and I hope we stick to recruiting high school and developing but a 6 foot 7 slashing forward that can set screens, shoot decent, rebound, and defend would be huge for this team. You can still use Appel and Dentlinger at Center and some PF, but some added size and athleticism would be huge for when we play these bigger teams. It would take some of the burden of rebound off of Baylor and help us defensively. I doubt it happens, but if the right piece was there it would be an amazing pick up. [/QUOTE]

Well i have NO IDEA how ready to contribute either of them will be, but if i am remembering correctly Lien and I think it is Kyle the incoming freshman from lincoln are both 6'9"

i think Lien is supposed to be able to shoot from the perimeter which obviously we have had before but not with the current group. and i think Kyle is supposed to be a slasher and defender and kind of a springy guy

if they are ready to contribute, the combination could be pretty impactful. that said, there are TONS of guys in the portal. the problem i think is that i do not think we have much room on the roster.

but if there is roster space available you would think we would look like a VERY ATTRACTIVE landing spot for the right guy

apparently there is some fella out of some school called ndsu by the name of sam griesel. he is not as tall as you say but it sounds like he is kind of another version of baylor and alex arians. who can play any spot 1-4 and guard and score and has been known to hit some big shots

hahah i doubt that is even possible. there has to be SOME RULE about transferring in your conference??? and even without that i cannot imagine he leaves coach richman to come to their main rival.. BUT i would not be surprised if hendo was involved in the process of recruiting him??? so maybe a relationship already

again cannot imagine it but i would take a player SIMILAR to sam in a heartbeat

Comment

I unofficially agree but I’m definitely not going to get too excited about it until after the transfer portal frenzy and coaching change period passes.

Comment

• Something to keep an eye on is that Sam Vecenie from The Athletic had Baylor at #93 on his latest Big Board from 3/10. It's worth noting that there are only 60 picks in the draft. Baylor basically has been brought up with every South Dakota State mention. I'm sure he would have loved to have had more national exposure, but there's no harm in him entering the draft and going through the combine/draft process and then withdrawing his name last minute if he doesn't like what he hears as Max Abmas did last year. Vecenie doesn't have Abmas on his list at the moment. I know lists like these are not 100% and this amounts to basically being a potential prospect (esp being at #93 out of 100), but I can't remember if Daum or Wolters had their names appear on any draft boards before their senior years

Comment

• Originally posted by Southeast View Post

I unofficially agree but I’m definitely not going to get too excited about it until after the transfer portal frenzy and coaching change period passes.
                            100% agree. With transfer portal now, as long as we continue to have top level players on our roster this time of year is going to suck every year.

Comment

• Originally posted by peavy View Post
                              Something to keep an eye on is that Sam Vecenie from The Athletic had Baylor at #93 on his latest Big Board from 3/10. It's worth noting that there are only 60 picks in the draft. Baylor basically has been brought up with every South Dakota State mention. I'm sure he would have loved to have had more national exposure, but there's no harm in him entering the draft and going through the combine/draft process and then withdrawing his name last minute if he doesn't like what he hears as Max Abmas did last year. Vecenie doesn't have Abmas on his list at the moment. I know lists like these are not 100% and this amounts to basically being a potential prospect (esp being at #93 out of 100), but I can't remember if Daum or Wolters had their names appear on any draft boards before their senior years
                              If I remember correctly, Mike declared after his junior year and then removed his name before the deadline. Nothing to lose by doing that - gets an evaluation of your game by scouts and they give suggestions about the parts of your game that need to be worked on.

Comment

• Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

and sometimes the aggressive nature bites Doug in the butt. overall he has been amazing and you have to just love him for who he is

and NOT NOT NOT trying to rip baylor but in truth he is very similar!!

the lobs and behind the back passes are awesome when they are going well!! but he has always had moments where these things hurt us too. i feel like he has really toned down the painful turnovers this year but today he DEFINITELY forced some lobs and no look and thread the needle passes that DID NOT work
                                I think that the weak conference SDSU plays in may contribute to some of the aggressive and sometimes risky ball handling. A team can get by with those risks when they are head and shoulders better than the competition. Not so much when they are playing up against a team with more talent.
                                You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Working...
                                X