GDT: Jackrabbits(13-2) vs Bison(11-3) @ Scheels Center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post

Maybe I’ll have to watch again but it really didn’t feel like we were settling for 3s that often. We shot 22 3s which is right on the season average essentially.
    On top of that, SDSU was missing Wilson. He shoots about 13 shots/game with most if not all of them within 10 feet of the basket. You give his 13 shots to players like Key, Mims, Wingett, Noah and Baylor and you will get more outside shots. Dillon did take 3 of the shots (with one 3) but that still leaves 10 shots.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
      We are playing a rival on the road again with out our best player and we go toe to toe with an experinced team with freshman and sophs and a role players senior. That last 7 seconds, not sure key driving the lane was the best option. Not sure why we didnt get the ball to Fridel.
      I was hoping that he would throw the ball out to Freidel, too. Noah was wide open. A 3 would have won the game. I guess if Key would have made a 3 point play or hit both free throws we wouldn't have been too down. I still like the open 3 by Noah to win over Key with 2 free throws to send it to another OT since SDSU was already down Baylor and Freidel had 4 fouls on the road against NDSU. Of course, I have time to think about it and Key is just being Key in the heat of the moment.

Comment

Ugly game but a tough well played one. Both teams benefited from some iffy calls down the stretch, only difference is the bison capitalized on their free throws and we didn’t. 4-10 free throws for the game. I also wish Dillion would get more minutes, he’s actually a pretty decent scoring threat and a good rebounder. Our depth will definitely be tested in the tournament unless all our guys can heal up before then

Comment

Originally posted by naters_gonna_nate View Post
          Thoughts from the game:
          1) It really, really killed us to have Baylor foul out. On a bad 5th foul call. He did a really nice job defensively on Ward. Baylor didn't shoot it well tonight but had good looks.
          2) It gets forgotten at this point, but it would huge to have Buchanan right now. Nothing against Mims, but he's small, can't create offense on his own, and isn't very good defensively. Buchanan scoring threat is sorely missed, most noticeably without Wilson.
          3) Dillon should get a few more minutes per game probably.
          4) I love Key for his defense and often wish he'd get more minutes for that reason. Especially against a quick guard like Vinnie. But it feels like since he's returned post-knee he's been even more turnover prone. Just seems out of control often.
          5) Most importantly, our freshman and sophomore team is a blast to watch. Can't overly state how much better fundamentally this team is than last year's. So much more enjoyable to watch. Thanks Hendo.

Time to rest up, pray that Douglas is healthy enough to play, and get ready for the SLT.
          1) Agree completely. Baylor on Ward and Arians on Vinnie was our best defense.
          2) Agree- If Buchanan is healthy and if he can play both offense and defense, he could take some minutes from both Mims and Key who are both small and limited.
          3) I wouldn't mind them going deeper but unless you go 2 bigs all the time you will have problems with both Wilson and Detlinger on the court. That is unless you limit/eliminate the minutes for Key, Mims, Wingett andBaylor.
          4) Key is great at in your face defense but he did allow 2 wide open 3's in a 2 minute span in the second half to get Vinnie going. That was 6 of Vinnie's 12 points the whole game.
          5) This is really fun basketball to watch the share the ball, shot it well and actually play really good aggressive defense.
          Last edited by 91jack; 02-28-2020, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Like someone mentioned earlier, I only noticed maybe 3 or 4 obvious "settle for a 3" SDSU shots. Allou Dillon's sure would have counted as a head-scratcher if it would not have gone in! NDSU definitely had more instances where they ran down and chucked up a 3 early in the shot clock.

Yes, our depth will be tested in the SLT, but that's true for everyone (especially the 3,4,5 seeds). With Wilson we have a nice 8-man rotation (plus Dillon - who sure seems ready to play more). I'd put our bench group of Scheierman, Key, Mims and Dillon up against USD's or NDSU's any day. As you saw last night, Scheierman is good enough to start on a 20-win team. Now we need some luck with the injuries.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post

I was hoping that he would throw the ball out to Freidel, too. Noah was wide open. A 3 would have won the game. I guess if Key would have made a 3 point play or hit both free throws we wouldn't have been too down. I still like the open 3 by Noah to win over Key with 2 free throws to send it to another OT since SDSU was already down Baylor and Freidel had 4 fouls on the road against NDSU. Of course, I have time to think about it and Key is just being Key in the heat of the moment.
              with 7 seconds I think that's the best is to get your best shooter a chance. that's enough time. I was hoping for the drive and kick, its like Fridel lives for those moments. If we make free throws better then 40% then we aren't having a conversation about how the last 7 seconds unfolded. Frankly you can tell SDSU is the best team in the league. With out or best player, our rivals who are both good teams could beat us. That Omaha loss stings a little more now to start the conference season.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

This team really needed Arians to show up last night offensively at he was no where to be found. 2-9 is not good enough when you are on the road without your best player. He was 1-8 in regulation but did have a big three in overtime. We need him to be more consistent with his offense for this team to be really good. He has too many games where he disappears on the offensive end.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post

On top of that, SDSU was missing Wilson. He shoots about 13 shots/game with most if not all of them within 10 feet of the basket. You give his 13 shots to players like Key, Mims, Wingett, Noah and Baylor and you will get more outside shots. Dillon did take 3 of the shots (with one 3) but that still leaves 10 shots.
                  That's our offense, score inside with Wilson and Dentlinger and pass out to get some good looking 3 pt attempts. With out Wilson our game plan was probably the same and I don't have issue with taking 3s, we have some good shooters, but just the flow of the game felt like it would have been good to attack the rim a little more. Fridel did some, arians was best attacking the rim.

Also NDSU my grease their send of the floor, dentlinger slips to give ward an easy layin, and then Mims goes down catching the out of bounds toss, but looks like he stepped on a shoe and rolled his ankle. hopefully he is ok but didn't get off the court easily.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

So I'll be honest, when Freidel flipped his committment to us I wasn't really stoked or disappointed, I truly expected him to be a player with a skillset somewhere between Carlson and White. Instead it appears he's more like and athletic Wolters or bigger Parks.

Seriously, everything about this play is Nate 2.0 .... https://twitter.com/GoJacksMBB/statu...32220728504320

Comment

Originally posted by naters_gonna_nate View Post
                      Thoughts from the game:
                      1) It really, really killed us to have Baylor foul out. On a bad 5th foul call. He did a really nice job defensively on Ward. Baylor didn't shoot it well tonight but had good looks.
                      2) It gets forgotten at this point, but it would huge to have Buchanan right now. Nothing against Mims, but he's small, can't create offense on his own, and isn't very good defensively. Buchanan scoring threat is sorely missed, most noticeably without Wilson.
                      3) Dillon should get a few more minutes per game probably.
                      4) I love Key for his defense and often wish he'd get more minutes for that reason. Especially against a quick guard like Vinnie. But it feels like since he's returned post-knee he's been even more turnover prone. Just seems out of control often.
                      5) Most importantly, our freshman and sophomore team is a blast to watch. Can't overly state how much better fundamentally this team is than last year's. So much more enjoyable to watch. Thanks Hendo.

Time to rest up, pray that Douglas is healthy enough to play, and get ready for the SLT.
                      Baylor's ability to split defenders and thread the ball to cutter's in the paint and along the baseline is pretty damn magnificent for a Freshman. Fantastic court awareness.

Comment

One thing that has really impressed me this year is our ability to defend the ball screen. Last year we were terrible at that. Last year, we either switched it or the guard went under the screen. This year, our bigs are hedging.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                          One thing that has really impressed me this year is our ability to defend the ball screen. Last year we were terrible at that. Last year, we either switched it or the guard went under the screen. This year, our bigs are hedging.
                          Dentlinger is amazing at hedging on the ball screen. Sometimes I feel for a young team they do so much really well, sometimes I notice they don't box out the best or get into rebounding position when the other team shoots the 3. This team does so many little things really well its impressive. Just like Gibbs as a freshman, if they make a mistake, or other team makes a little run, they don't get phased or flustered, they don't hang their heads. That speaks a lot to the players but I think that's Hendos effect on the team also.

Comment

Let’s make sure we know this: Doug is going to play if he can. He has obviously been battling some minor injuries and has played when others wouldn’t. Tough as nails. I think the best bet (if he’s healthy enough) would to let him rest 1st round against Fort Wayne (only bring him in if absolutely needed), and then play him after that.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post
                              So I'll be honest, when Freidel flipped his committment to us I wasn't really stoked or disappointed, I truly expected him to be a player with a skillset somewhere between Carlson and White. Instead it appears he's more like and athletic Wolters or bigger Parks.

Seriously, everything about this play is Nate 2.0 .... https://twitter.com/GoJacksMBB/statu...32220728504320
                              I've had that same thought about Noah. He's been on the record in the media saying he used to come to a lot of games in Frost to watch Nate back in the day. You can tell he has molded his game around the skill set Nate had. If he can continue to shoot at this level and then keep improving on getting to the rim....gonna be a fun 3 more years of "Noah's gonna Noah".

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post

That's our offense, score inside with Wilson and Dentlinger and pass out to get some good looking 3 pt attempts. With out Wilson our game plan was probably the same and I don't have issue with taking 3s, we have some good shooters, but just the flow of the game felt like it would have been good to attack the rim a little more. Fridel did some, arians was best attacking the rim.
                                I gotta disagree with you there... For one, Freidel attacked the rim a lot and was by far the best at doing it this game, 13 of his 20 shots were 2s. Arians shot 9 times and 4 of them were from 3. Secondly, NDSU's game plan was to sink their defense into the middle because they know that's how we operate. Dentlinger did a great job of getting the ball back out of the post and the rest of the guys did a nice job of rotating the ball until we got an open look. We just didn't have enough of them fall.

I'm really concerned about our FT shooting. As someone else said, 4-10 didn't help this game. On the season we're about 70%, which is good for 191/355 in the NCAA. Also, I don't know if there are stats for this, but it seems like we miss a crazy amount of front end 1 and 1 FTs, which are killers.

Comment

Working...
                                X