Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OldHare
    replied
    Re: GDT:SDSU JACKRABBITS VS PFW MASTODONS @ Allen County War Memorial Coliseum

Check out Twitter for Zimmer for the piece on DJJ.

Leave a comment:

• Sodakbull
    replied

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
    There's another player coming in next year that gets overlooked because of Grill. 6'5 PG Baylor Scheierman who also was named state football POY as a QB. And also a 6'7 JUCO PF.
    Scheierman is pretty highly regarded in NE from what I read. I imagine that both him and Grill won't redshirt as they will be needed to play right away but it will be fun to see what happens. How many all state quarterbacks can you have on a BB team? I have a hard time getting too excited for these JUCO guys. They don't seem to stick around for very long not just for SDSU, but other schools as well. Too many have the grass is always greener over there attitude. But I am hoping it works out for him and the team.

Leave a comment:

• 91jack
    replied

Originally posted by jacksstudent View Post
    Winning on the road is tough but no one can convince me the cupboard was left bare. Nagy left mike daum, the greatest player in SDSU history. From there on it’s up to any coach to figure out pieces whether it’s transfers for experience etc. any new coach in the country would love had having mike daum, tevin king, theisen, flatten, Telly as the additional core and then add pieces around it. I wouldn’t call that bare. Otz did an awesome job with jenkins jr. So I’m not bashing otz etc, just concerned on depth which in no way is nagys fault.

thats the part that scares me next year- if we are not deep this year we will definitely not be deep these next few years.
    I guess the cupboard bare was a bad phrase. Nagy's recruits made up the backbone of what SDSU has done the last 3 years. You can't ask for a lot more than that.

Leave a comment:

• MontanaRabbit
    replied

There's another player coming in next year that gets overlooked because of Grill. 6'5 PG Baylor Scheierman who also was named state football POY as a QB. And also a 6'7 JUCO PF.
    Thanks for adding on.

There will be new guys step up. Always is. I remember when there was no way we could replace Wolters. We've done quite well since then.

Leave a comment:

• RabbitObsessed
    replied

Do we need to cross post this one to the 2019 Starting QB thread? (Only semi-joking.)

Leave a comment:

• bigticket1
    replied

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
    I think we'll be just fine next year.

We've got Jenkins back. We add a transfer from Washington in MCIII. We also add the highest rated recruit we've ever had at SDSU in Caleb Grill. Add to that the four RS freshman and one true freshman that are logging good minutes this year and you've got 7-8 bodies. We'll likely never go 9-10 deep consistently.

Leave a comment:

• MontanaRabbit
    replied

Winning on the road is tough but no one can convince me the cupboard was left bare. Nagy left mike daum, the greatest player in SDSU history. From there on it’s up to any coach to figure out pieces whether it’s transfers for experience etc. any new coach in the country would love had having mike daum, tevin king, theisen, flatten, Telly as the additional core and then add pieces around it. I wouldn’t call that bare. Otz did an awesome job with jenkins jr. So I’m not bashing otz etc, just concerned on depth which in no way is nagys fault.

thats the part that scares me next year- if we are not deep this year we will definitely not be deep these next few years.
    I think we'll be just fine next year.

We've got Jenkins back. We add a transfer from Washington in MCIII. We also add the highest rated recruit we've ever had at SDSU in Caleb Grill. Add to that the four RS freshman and one true freshman that are logging good minutes this year and you've got 7-8 bodies. We'll likely never go 9-10 deep consistently.

Leave a comment:

• jacksstudent
    replied

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
    SDSU just isn't very deep this year. They do have Daum, T. King, Flatten, Jenkins Jr but after that they have either redshirt or true freshmen. Nagy might have left the cupboard bare but TJ hasn't found his groove, yet, at SDSU. He has only been here for 2 2/3 years but he hasn't added much depth for this year other than Jenkins Jr.

Lets look at who he has brought in for depth for this years team-

His first class- He might have got here late in the recruiting season but Nagy took Love with him so TJ might have looked at somebody that he could have brought in or maybe not.
    Howell- He would be a senior but he left after last year.
    El Darwich- He was only here one year. He would either be a junior or a redshirt sophomore.

His second class-
    Key- Would be a senior and is on scholarship but decided not to play.
    Polk-Hilliard- Would be a senior but left after one season.
    He did recruit 5 freshmen but redshirted 4 of them (Jenkins Jr).

His third class-
    Carter III- He is sitting out because of transfer rules.
    Owen King- He is a freshman that is playing.
    Feign and Mims- They are both redshirting this season.

TJ did have Wallace transfer in too but he would have graduated last year so he wouldn't matter this season.
    TJ has not been here very long and he has some players coming in but this team has 4 upperclass players. If you are only that deep, you can't have players having off nights against good teams.
    I think some of the freshmen will be good but they have been in the system 2 years or less.

Leave a comment:

• filbert
    replied

If you look back realistically at the SDSU men's pre-conference performance, running the table in the Summit League simply wasn't going to happen. The Jacks are just too inconsistent and too dependent on the 3-point shot to blow through the conference like an F5 tornado. When the Jacks are good, they're very, very good but when they're bad they're really, really bad. That's what you get with questionable/inconsistent defense paired with a 3-point-shot-dependent offense.

We're back to the old sage advice of win 'em all at home and split the road schedule, and you'll be okay. Winning in Vermillion would make it a winning road trip to open the season.

Onward!

Leave a comment:

• mitchellrabbit
    replied

Expectations should have been high. We have two of the best mid major players in the country with two seniors next to them and we play in a weak conference.

We will I’ll be fine this year and I still think we win the tournament without too much stress but as I think forward I’m a little nervous about the upcoming few years. We are losing a lot of our toughness and experience. But let’s just worry about this year first.
    I had high expectations too. But then we lost to FGCU, Tulane and Montana. No losses will surprise me now. Just hope the freshman get better by the end of the season so we can win 3 in SF.

Leave a comment:

• 91jack
    replied

Expectations should have been high. We have two of the best mid major players in the country with two seniors next to them and we play in a weak conference.

We will IÂ’ll be fine this year and I still think we win the tournament without too much stress but as I think forward IÂ’m a little nervous about the upcoming few years. We are losing a lot of our toughness and experience. But letÂ’s just worry about this year first.
    SDSU just isn't very deep this year. They do have Daum, T. King, Flatten, Jenkins Jr but after that they have either redshirt or true freshmen. Nagy might have left the cupboard bare but TJ hasn't found his groove, yet, at SDSU. He has only been here for 2 2/3 years but he hasn't added much depth for this year other than Jenkins Jr.

Lets look at who he has brought in for depth for this years team-

His first class- He might have got here late in the recruiting season but Nagy took Love with him so TJ might have looked at somebody that he could have brought in or maybe not.
    Howell- He would be a senior but he left after last year.
    El Darwich- He was only here one year. He would either be a junior or a redshirt sophomore.

His second class-
    Key- Would be a senior and is on scholarship but decided not to play.
    Polk-Hilliard- Would be a senior but left after one season.
    He did recruit 5 freshmen but redshirted 4 of them (Jenkins Jr).

His third class-
    Carter III- He is sitting out because of transfer rules.
    Owen King- He is a freshman that is playing.
    Feign and Mims- They are both redshirting this season.

TJ did have Wallace transfer in too but he would have graduated last year so he wouldn't matter this season.
    TJ has not been here very long and he has some players coming in but this team has 4 upperclass players. If you are only that deep, you can't have players having off nights against good teams.
    I think some of the freshmen will be good but they have been in the system 2 years or less.

Leave a comment:

• da_coach
    replied

Tough night for the men last night. (obviously).

Just need to learn from it, and grow, and improve. That's the key to every successful season.

I thought it was ludicrous how many people were saying they were going undefeated in conference. That's so hard to do. Impossible? No. But very hard.

Just bounce back, and play better... this team is still talented enough. And PFW is probably a little better than we thought starting conference play at 3-0.

Leave a comment:

• SF_Rabbit_Fan
    replied

Who is going to start the fire Otz thread? LOL

Leave a comment:

• MontanaRabbit
    replied

That is why you rarely see any teams from major/mid-major conferences "run the table" and go undefeated through their conference schedules, no matter how good they are. Even that great Jacks women's team from 08/09 lost what was certainly a winnable game at Oakland. Go out and win on Sunday. and the Jacks are 2-1, with what are likely their two most difficult road games out of the way. Not that bad of a place to be, with 8 out of the final 13 games in Frost.
    I'd also add it's just really really hard to win on the road in college basketball. There is a reason (other than financial) the P5 teams pretty much don't play true road games until conference play starts.

Leave a comment:

• bigticket1
    replied

Originally posted by tbjack View Post
    When 3 pointers go through the hoop at an very high rate on one end and far below average on the other end this is what happens. SDSU was much below their 3 point statistical average and PFW much above leading to about 3 less and 3 more triples respectively for each. That accounts for all of the point difference in this one. A team like SDSU that heavily relies on shooting the 3 as well as clogging the paint and forcing jumpers is going to have a fairly wide range of outcomes depending on whether or not the ball goes through the hoop.

I'm not implying for a second that we didn't play poorly. I love Tevin King but he had a rough night and some bad turnovers. Flatten maybe tried to do a little too much. And again, no Dentlinger, when it seems we've had our best defensive and rebounding performances with him on the floor.

PWF is a decent team. Our struggles last night were magnified by some out of range shooting percentages. That happens in basketball.
    That is why you rarely see any teams from major/mid-major conferences "run the table" and go undefeated through their conference schedules, no matter how good they are. Even that great Jacks women's team from 08/09 lost what was certainly a winnable game at Oakland. Go out and win on Sunday. and the Jacks are 2-1, with what are likely their two most difficult road games out of the way. Not that bad of a place to be, with 8 out of the final 13 games in Frost.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X