Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jacksstudent
    replied
    Re: GDT:SDSU JACKRABBITS VS PFW MASTODONS @ Allen County War Memorial Coliseum

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
    Expectations were way too high for the season. I knew we wouldnt roll through the conf schedule. Rarely happens in any conference that there is an unbeaten beaten team. Three road games to start is tough. We could be 1-2 after Sunday. But could end up 14-2. Never know. Or we could lose a couple more road games.
    Expectations should have been high. We have two of the best mid major players in the country with two seniors next to them and we play in a weak conference.

We will I’ll be fine this year and I still think we win the tournament without too much stress but as I think forward I’m a little nervous about the upcoming few years. We are losing a lot of our toughness and experience. But let’s just worry about this year first.

Leave a comment:

• 91jack
    replied

Originally posted by goon View Post
    Apparently tevin king is all we need. Until the players and coaches address the elephant in the room. Pardon the pun, we are going to have a long conference season.
    I don't know about a long conference season. IPFW and possibly USD should be the only teams that should be able to beat us. Not to say another team won't beat us but we should be able to beat the rest of them 8 out of 10 times or so. IPFW would be closer to a 50-50 game to me. Konchar is just that good. This was just a bad game. Starting with 3 road games and playing @IPFW and @USD was the most difficult part of SDSU"s conference season. I guess they might have 2 or so conference loses this season. That would be about the same number as last season.
    I wonder if they are still using the defensive belt for the best defensive player in practice each week. People now days like gimmicks like that but who knows if they really make them want to try harder or not.
    Flatten was off and SDSU needs him to play well against good teams. Owen King picked up some of the slack but it wasn't enough.

Leave a comment:

• MontanaRabbit
    replied

There is no question our teams aren't as defensive minded as our Nagy coached teams but we also play a much higher tempo which means we will give up more points on occasion.

We give up right at 73 ppg and score 86 ppg. That scoring margin is good for 36th in the country. Before last night we were 180th in the country in PPG allowed...middle of the pack. Considering the tempo we play at, I don't think that's that bad.

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

Originally posted by jacksstudent View Post
    Defense has never been the priority for otz and we don’t recruit for defense.

Is me or does anyone think next year we are going to be a .500 type team?
    NO WAY JOSE. Defense is a big part of Otz's game plan. You apparently would rather have Nagy back. Defense and rebounding were big things to his plan, but Nagy has moved on. Currently WSU is 7-9 but they played several MAC teams which are beatable.

Leave a comment:

• tbjack
    replied

When 3 pointers go through the hoop at an very high rate on one end and far below average on the other end this is what happens. SDSU was much below their 3 point statistical average and PFW much above leading to about 3 less and 3 more triples respectively for each. That accounts for all of the point difference in this one. A team like SDSU that heavily relies on shooting the 3 as well as clogging the paint and forcing jumpers is going to have a fairly wide range of outcomes depending on whether or not the ball goes through the hoop.

I'm not implying for a second that we didn't play poorly. I love Tevin King but he had a rough night and some bad turnovers. Flatten maybe tried to do a little too much. And again, no Dentlinger, when it seems we've had our best defensive and rebounding performances with him on the floor.

PWF is a decent team. Our struggles last night were magnified by some out of range shooting percentages. That happens in basketball.

Leave a comment:

• mitchellrabbit
    replied

Expectations were way too high for the season. I knew we wouldnt roll through the conf schedule. Rarely happens in any conference that there is an unbeaten beaten team. Three road games to start is tough. We could be 1-2 after Sunday. But could end up 14-2. Never know. Or we could lose a couple more road games.

Leave a comment:

• SturgisJeff
    replied

not much impressed with Allen Co War Memorial Coliseum. especially for the women's game. i think the lack of atmosphere in the joint might have led to their lackluster performance. the men's game, pfw was hot from three and yes the majority were uncontested, last weekend the place had the Rumble in Fort Wayne in the exhibition hall attached to the coliseum, indoor midget and go cart racing. they must of piped the exhaust gasses into the rabbits locker room. the pfw band director was a piece of work, arguing calls with the refs, almost ran onto the court a few times on some calls. really unprofessional for a representative of the school.

Leave a comment:

• MontanaRabbit
    replied

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
    Bad night. But the Jacks have got to move on and beat USD on Sunday. FW shot really well. I don't think we'll run into that every game.
    This. Much like we won’t hang 139 points every night.

Leave a comment:

• Jacked_Up
    replied

Bad night. But the Jacks have got to move on and beat USD on Sunday. FW shot really well. I don't think we'll run into that every game.

Leave a comment:

• OldHare
    replied

It seem too early to give an informed guess on the record for next year. I remember years when the MBB started with losing records due to road games and finished on top. Those were the days Nagy was not an informed or intelligent coach. Much too early for a prediction even though they could win the SLT with a .500 record!

Leave a comment:

• UWMandSDSU
    replied

Can we freak out about this season first?

Leave a comment:

• jacksstudent
    replied

Yeah I think we were all way to confident in what this team was returning. Reed gone and ian who people railed on but was effective. Then key leaves the team. Imagine if flatten didn't get a 6th year. We would finish bottom of the conference. Maybe it's just me but I miss the defense nagys teams would play.

Leave a comment:

• SUPERBUNNY
    replied

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
    I listened too and thought I heard him say that this is what happens when you don't play defense.
    Glad to know that I missed it. Still surprised we didn’t here, defense, defense, defense, and more defense.

SUPERBUNNY

Leave a comment:

• bigticket1
    replied

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
    Listened to Otz's post game and not a word about defense. All about how we didn't play well and get it into the paint and attack the bucket.

I'm too old school to wrap my head around that thinking.

He's a good coach. Have to believe they will turn it around. Don't have a good feeling about Sunday.

SUPERBUNNY
    I listened too and thought I heard him say that this is what happens when you don't play defense.

Leave a comment:

• JACKGUYII
    replied

I wonder how much this team was looking ahead to Sunday. Hope they come out with more effort if we want the win Sunday.
    Would be hard to imagine why they would be thinking about Sunday when the team they are playing is leading the conference. No defense, toughness or hustle tonight.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X