Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 12 SDSU vs. 5 Maryland, Spokane

My take from Spokane.
    1. Great place for the NCAA Tournament. Community is invested in the event. The arena was rocking when we made the run in the second half.
    2. I don't know how it came across on TV but Maryland was big and our crowd was loud. I thought their size may have been intimidating early - first half.
    3. Our team gave it all they had. The effort was awesome.
    4. We were fortunate to stay in the same hotel as the team. It gives you a different perspective when the team gets off the bus. Many tears still rolling an hour and half after the game. Talking with the coaches they are happy with the teams accomplishment - but they want more.
    5. Maryland was tight at the end. You could feel it.
    6. Cincinnati and Oregon fans all said we got screwed.
    7. Drove across the state from Seattle to Spokane. Washington is a beautiful state.

I wish I wasn't traveling home right now, but it is what it is. Thanks Rabbits for another trip to NCAA Tournament. I would rank Spokane and Albuquerque 1 & 1A for our trips to the tournament. Great college feel!

Go Rabbits!

Comment

I made the trip as well. Our crowd and Hawaii's crowd were definitely into it more than the bigger P5 schools (in the first session). Cal crowd was disappointing.

Spokane arena has similar look to Denny Sanford Premier Center. "The Denny" is nicer though. IMO, Sioux Falls would have no problems hosting a 1st and 2nd round (only if Sioux Falls builds more hotels).

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
        I made the trip as well. Our crowd and Hawaii's crowd were definitely into it more than the bigger P5 schools (in the first session). Cal crowd was disappointing.

Spokane arena has similar look to Denny Sanford Premier Center. "The Denny" is nicer though. IMO, Sioux Falls would have no problems hosting a 1st and 2nd round (only if Sioux Falls builds more hotels).
        Each team could get their own motel in Sioux Falls

Comment

I know they're winning the game. Maryland is 1-18 from 3 tonight.......

Go Rabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by 6-4-3 Jackrabbit View Post
            I know they're winning the game. Maryland is 1-18 from 3 tonight.......

Go Rabbits!
            When's the last time a good team went "Brick City USA" against us? Seems they are more likely to have career nights even when we play pretty good D.
            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
            - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
              When's the last time a good team went "Brick City USA" against us? Seems they are more likely to have career nights even when we play pretty good D.
              I get what your saying because we've had guys go off on us a lot it seems. However, Marylands shooters had really good looks at threes and knocked them down. When we stopped doubling the post we started our run.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                One of the variables usually needed for David to win is missed 3's from Goliath. All three times we've been to the tournament our opponent has made threes (Baylor 8, Michigan 9 & Maryland 9).

Go Rabbits!

Comment

I just got back myself after attending all six games. Spokane is a great place to watch opening round games. Unlike the other larger cities that I've been to for these games, the locals all know the tournament is in town and they're into it as much as the visitors. Plus the whole place is basketball crazy to begin with.

The Jackrabbit game was a blast. They shot themselves in the foot the first half with their offensive woes, but the comeback was spectacular. If they played the first half like they did the second, I think we beat Maryland pretty easily.

Comment

Just wanted to add my congrats on a great season and to remind you, it could be worse; you could be UNI.......

Comment

Originally posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
                      Just wanted to add my congrats on a great season and to remind you, it could be worse; you could be UNI.......
                      OR SDSU could have been in the Sweet 16 right now after they would have beat Hawaii yesterday. A couple more shots go down in the 1st half of the game and it would have been totally different. Makes me sick thinking about it still.

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
                        OR SDSU could have been in the Sweet 16 right now after they would have beat Hawaii yesterday. A couple more shots go down in the 1st half of the game and it would have been totally different. Makes me sick thinking about it still.
                        Yep. That's basketball. Can't expect to do against Maryland what they did against ORU or Denver. Although they came darn close to doing it.

The men have now put a good dent in that door. One more good run at it might just knock it down and push through to the next level. The trick is to not let yourself slide back before taking that next run at it.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                          Yep. That's basketball. Can't expect to do against Maryland what they did against ORU or Denver. Although they came darn close to doing it.

The men have now put a good dent in that door. One more good run at it might just knock it down and push through to the next level. The trick is to not let yourself slide back before taking that next run at it.
                          Exactly, there can't be a huge drop off for 2016-2017 season. I don't think there will be. PG play has me worried the most. I'm anxious to see if Nagy brings in a Juco or Grad transfer to take that spot and have Gentry learn and gain more experience.

Comment

I want to show my appreciation also,I've seen how hard and how dedicated this team was,I really admire teams that put that much heart and soul into playing for the Jacks and I wouldn't feel right if I failed to express my gratitude.Very good year and thanks to the seniors,the rest can do it all again next year,maybe win one or two more at the end would really be nice.

Comment

Exactly, there can't be a huge drop off for 2016-2017 season. I don't think there will be. PG play has me worried the most. I'm anxious to see if Nagy brings in a Juco or Grad transfer to take that spot and have Gentry learn and gain more experience.
                              Now that our season is over, and the National JUCO tournaments are done, it will be interesting to see if we hear anything about possible targets. It also will be interesting to see if any of the Hawaii players (who also played in Spokane) look to transfer. Hawaii is going on probation, and players can transfer and be eligible right away.

Comment

I've heard some good things about Gentry. However, I haven't heard if he can score or shoot the ball. From what I've seen PG's that can score seem to be most effective today. If you look at the SL and just about every other conference the teams that had scoring PG's seemed to be the most successful.

When Marshall had some of his better scoring games we were tough to beat. However, we seemed to struggle when he struggled. Marshall had zero points the first half of the Maryland game and we struggled. However, he came alive in the second half scoring 15 and we were a completely different team with him, Dre and Mike all offensive threats.

WIU has a pass first PG in Sandifer whose among the leaders in assist every year but only scores about 7-8 points a game. I think that team would have been a load to handle with a scoring PG. Each time we played them I always thought about how much better they would be with a PG who did more than just pass the ball.

I used the WIU example above because Mike will be a marked man and without scoring threats at the guard positions it could pose a problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X