Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 12 SDSU vs. 5 Maryland, Spokane

Originally posted by HoboJack View Post
    I'm drawing a blank on what the deal was with Marshall. He played as a true freshman at Wisconsin then transferred at the halfway point of his sophomore year (1.5 years), then sat out his transfer year, and played 1.5 years at SDSU. He only got to play a total of 3 years/4. He did play in half or more of 4 seasons. Any chance they could apply for another year for him?
    The basic rule is 4 years of playing eligibility in 5 calendar years. Redshirts, transfers, whatever count against the calendar-year limit.

Any more than that and you have to petition the NCAA for a wavier, usually due to injuries costing you two years of playing time.

That's my understanding, anyway.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I'm drawing a blank on what the deal was with Marshall. He played as a true freshman at Wisconsin then transferred at the halfway point of his sophomore year (1.5 years), then sat out his transfer year, and played 1.5 years at SDSU. He only got to play a total of 3 years/4. He did play in half or more of 4 seasons. Any chance they could apply for another year for him?
      He redshirted his first year Wisconsin.

Comment

If it was injury related (was his concussion freshman or sophomore year?) he might have a shot if he played less than whatever the "redshirt" percentage is. They'd have to make a REALLY strong case though.

Edit: Guessing the fact that he redshirted his freshman year at UW will kill any chance of another (half) year

Comment

Originally posted by FeaRed View Post
          If it was injury related (was his concussion freshman or sophomore year?) he might have a shot if he played less than whatever the "redshirt" percentage is. They'd have to make a REALLY strong case though.

Edit: Guessing the fact that he redshirted his freshman year at UW will kill any chance of another (half) year

Agree. You might get one year added onto the "four in five" rule if you transfer. I haven't studied the NCAA bylaws lately.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I thought Devine played well the last quarter of the season. I was kind of surprised there wasn't more minutes for him as the season went along, especially when we had foul trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
              I thought Devine played well the last quarter of the season. I was kind of surprised there wasn't more minutes for him as the season went along, especially when we had foul trouble.
              I think he may see a lot of minutes in his senior year, possibly playing across the lane from Daum.

A two-post alignment rotating through Daum, Devine and Thiesen will be difficult for any Summit League-level opponent to handle. If we can get some minutes out of Doyle to add to that rotation, we might very well have something we can build around next year. It'll be interesting to see where Severyn and Flatten fit into next year's team, too. We need a point guard to emerge though. King is a 2, a slasher. I think he'd be wasted trying to put him at the point.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Is there a chance we might see Loudon Vollbrecht play? He should not need to get stronger as a football player who has built up his size. He may even have some pounds gone from his football weight. Gentry may be another successful redshirt freshman story as a point guard. The team should have a couple of players under review to use some of the available scholarships. A point guard would be the most important need whether as a backup or potential starter. The Jackrabbits are in a reload mode and there is a small gap to plug for next year. They may not be the preseason choice to win the Summit, but I would not be surprised to see them back in the hunt by the end of the season. There will be 2 starters plus the guy named Daum on the roster. Also, there is a guy named Dykman who had attention as a preseason in 2015-16 as freshman of year before the redshirt went on. The glass is half full as I look at the next year.
                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                  Led by the young man from Kimball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf7ijInJjDY

I'm actually pretty excited for next year. Guard play will be the key.
                  Notice the Terp on the bench getting ready to celebrate a stuff, but instead turns it into a toe touch stretch after the dunk, pretty funny.

Comment

Post Game Presser
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wdvTZgzc54

Comment

That was funny as hell---watching that bench player starting to celebrate and then touch his toes. No, coach, I'm just stretching--not celebrating. He won't hear the end of that from his teammates. Maybe he loves our team---wants to transfer.

Comment

Originally posted by sdsu_drake View Post
                        At the 6:17 mark Nagy gets a tough question from the reporter of the Baltimore Sun. He asked if he had a problem with two foul calls. and Nagy handled it beautifully, he just stated facts and stated he would not want to be an official. He could have went on a rant about bad officiating but instead took the high road. Those two calls did not lose the game, maybe the poor performance in the first half might be the biggest factor or the entire game, or the time out at the towards the end of the game.

Comment

Yes Nagy did take the high road on the officiating question but.....

No doubt those two terrible calls at the end of the game bailed Maryland out. This gave them 4 free throws they never should have had. When you add in the fact that we did not shoot a free throw in the first half. I understand we took jump shots primarily, but you can not tell me that's legit.

Did we make mistakes contributing to a loss? Absolutely. But so did the officials!! And in a game with a razor thin margin that very well could have been the difference...

Comment

Nagy did handle the question well. Coaches can get fined for complaining about officiating, so I was surprised he elaborated. The man gives a good pressor.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              At the 6:17 mark Nagy gets a tough question from the reporter of the Baltimore Sun. He asked if he had a problem with two foul calls. and Nagy handled it beautifully, he just stated facts and stated he would not want to be an official. He could have went on a rant about bad officiating but instead took the high road. Those two calls did not lose the game, maybe the poor performance in the first half might be the biggest factor or the entire game, or the time out at the towards the end of the game.
                              Speaking of poor 1st half performance I was reading something on the web leading up to the game and I came across this and wanted to see what everyone else thought about it. With all of the players having multiple forms of social media I would think they read some of this stuff as well, here is what I found on Daniel Martin's twitter account - @DMartinCSN. Daniel covers the Terrapins football and basketball teams. Anyway it reads; SDSU coach Scott Nagy says his team can't match up physically. Can't rebound 1-on-1. Can't defend Melo 1 on 1. Stresses collective mentality.

Even if a coach is thinking this should it be communicated to the media? It almost sounds like we have no chance of winning! I definately don't think it helps the kids get mentally prepared.

Comment

Originally posted by bulldogs53 View Post
                                Speaking of poor 1st half performance I was reading something on the web leading up to the game and I came across this and wanted to see what everyone else thought about it. With all of the players having multiple forms of social media I would think they read some of this stuff as well, here is what I found on Daniel Martin's twitter account - @DMartinCSN. Daniel covers the Terrapins football and basketball teams. Anyway it reads; SDSU coach Scott Nagy says his team can't match up physically. Can't rebound 1-on-1. Can't defend Melo 1 on 1. Stresses collective mentality.

Even if a coach is thinking this should it be communicated to the media? It almost sounds like we have no chance of winning! I definately don't think it helps the kids get mentally prepared.
                                Watch the press conference. Twitter doesn't give you any context is usually paraphrased. I have zero problems with what Nagy said.
                                -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Working...
                                X