GDT: SDSU @ ORU Halfway through the Summit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: SDSU @ ORU Halfway through the Summit

SDSU wins its way into first place in Tulsa and the Argus has a brief and no photo. TV mentioned that the budget wouldn't support road trips like that one any more. But when a team is playing for first on the road, you'd think it would be worth paying a stringer in Tulsa to write an actual story and grabbing a photo from The AP.

Prediction: The new Argus reality (even smaller staff, no TV, budget slashed to nothing) isn't going to be something we're going to like. It's crazy because so far as I could tell, sports was the only thing they really were doing well before their new budget cuts and SDSU sports stories were always among the most read on the Web. So much for that.

BTW: Tulsa World has a story and column about Bittle coming home. Sutton, in the World story, of course, says nothing about SDSU beating his team. They beat themselves.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
      SDSU wins its way into first place in Tulsa and the Argus has a brief and no photo. TV mentioned that the budget wouldn't support road trips like that one any more. But when a team is playing for first on the road, you'd think it would be worth paying a stringer in Tulsa to write an actual story and grabbing a photo from The AP.

Prediction: The new Argus reality (even smaller staff, no TV, budget slashed to nothing) isn't going to be something we're going to like. It's crazy because so far as I could tell, sports was the only thing they really were doing well before their new budget cuts and SDSU sports stories were always among the most read on the Web. So much for that.

BTW: Tulsa World has a story and column about Bittle coming home. Sutton, in the World story, of course, says nothing about SDSU beating his team. They beat themselves.
      You'll get used to it.

Comment

The ORU TV crew doing the game was excellent, btw. The replay is still up on ESPN for anyone that missed it. They did a great job.
        Originally posted by JackFan96
        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

The Summit League could be proactive with dispersing information. One of those items could be the player and coach postgame interviews available on the conference website. They currently have some postgame information on the site which would rival what the Argus had yesterday for the Jacks and Yotes. It will be interesting to see what the Argus has planned for the Summit League Tourney. That may determine what happens to my recently acquired Argus subscription.
          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post

Prediction: The new Argus reality (even smaller staff, no TV, budget slashed to nothing) isn't going to be something we're going to like. It's crazy because so far as I could tell, sports was the only thing they really were doing well before their new budget cuts and SDSU sports stories were always among the most read on the Web. So much for that. ...
            At least the Argus led its short stories in Sunday's paper with one about the Jacks winning and taking over first place in the league. KELO led its 10 pm sports segment on television with a repeated story about USD losing an afternoon game to IUPUI. Sports coverage in S.D., in general, is slipping back to D-II (or lower) levels.
            This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
              The ORU TV crew doing the game was excellent, btw. The replay is still up on ESPN for anyone that missed it. They did a great job.
              I agree, Obsessed. The play-by-play guy was especially good and not too much of a homer.
              This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                At least the Argus led its short stories in Sunday's paper with one about the Jacks winning and taking over first place in the league. KELO led its 10 pm sports segment on television with a repeated story about USD losing an afternoon game to IUPUI. Sports coverage in S.D., in general, is slipping back to D-II (or lower) levels.
                I agree...the exception would be Midco Sports network. They have become first class especially now that they have struck a deal with ESPN 3. Maybe they will continue to pick up the slack that the rest are obviously content with.
                SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                  It should be noted that most of the home game film on KELO broadcasts is supplied by the Jackrabbits. Technology has allowed the story to be on without sending any reporters to the game. The information that SDSU wants in the Argus may take the same route. SDSU must have many students with vocational interests that include writing who can fill that void as time goes forward. There could be a student out there who might travel with the team and provide some good stories.
                  Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I agree, Propar, Midco Sports has been a great addition to D-1 sports coverage in South Dakota. I should have credited it in my prior post.
                    This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                      It should be noted that most of the home game film on KELO broadcasts is supplied by the Jackrabbits. Technology has allowed the story to be on without sending any reporters to the game. The information that SDSU wants in the Argus may take the same route. SDSU must have many students with vocational interests that include writing who can fill that void as time goes forward. There could be a student out there who might travel with the team and provide some good stories.
                      Traveling with the team costs money, and so does the "vocational" part. The money's gotta come from somewhere and as long as the expectation of free content survives, this is going to continue, and not just at the Argus. There is a direct corollary to dropping subscriptions and looking for look-arounds on pay-sites and what is happening here. No one would expect to drive up to a gas pump on their way to a game and drive away without paying.

Comment

KDLT highlights of the game:

http://www.kdlt.com/sports/Jacks-Pul...t-ORU/30908316
                        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                        - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                          Traveling with the team costs money, and so does the "vocational" part. The money's gotta come from somewhere and as long as the expectation of free content survives, this is going to continue, and not just at the Argus. There is a direct corollary to dropping subscriptions and looking for look-arounds on pay-sites and what is happening here. No one would expect to drive up to a gas pump on their way to a game and drive away without paying.
                          I did not expect that there would be no expense. However, SDSU has the most to gain from the exposure and news. It is much like the film that is sent to KELO. SDSU pays for the person to take that footage and transfer the footage. There are many young people who get some type of intern work for less money than a regular job in the employment of a particular field. Some may receive no compensation at all. That is the direction I was suggesting. If the information/reporting is important to SDSU Athletics, there may be a solution created on the SDSU side rather than the Argus side. Refer to the KELO example for the footage used on the evening sports. I would guess that air fare and hotels and meals would also require some money for an extra body with the team. It is an approach that SDSU might want to create the news. It has nothing to do with free lunch.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                            I can not argue with any of your points here. I am old enough to proceed KELO Television. Live radio was the going thing then and I still enjoy radio, and I mentioned the demise of live programing, which is becoming more and more. Terry worked beyond the call of duty and we will miss him but with newspapers going the way of live radio programing we can expect some changes, but maybe not that big of a deal. I think the Argus knows how their readership increased since TV came to work at the AL, especially among SDSU readers. So I guess its up to the AL to keep this readership interested. How they do it? We will soon find out.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                              I have found KDLT to be the best TV affiliate covering Jacks with video.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                                I have found KDLT to be the best TV affiliate covering Jacks with video.
                                Agreed. KDLT has the best sports cast imo.

Comment

Working...
                                X