Room for a hefty but mediocre post?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Room for a hefty but mediocre post?

Plus-he was looking a recruit named Jake Bittle arriving in Brookings.
    Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
    Plus, he is playing for his brother who is an assistant coach at Mankato.
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
      I'm curious if Nagy's style will knock recruiting as well. With only playing 6 or 7 guys all the past two years it will be harder to convince a kid to come and think he'll play early. Part of it is because SDSU has that core group who has played together so long, but there's been zero bench development or production.
      I think that is highly doubtful. Every recruit who considers our offer believes he (or she) can play for us IMO. And I think way to much fuss is being raised over "Nagy's style" of a small bench. Nagy made a decision to redshirt two very capable players, from what we know about them. He chose to not redshirt Jake because he needed a bench backup for Nate. As far as I can tell, almost every poster here believes it would have been good to redshirt Horstman. Apparently the coaches thought that circumstances at that time, required having him on the bench. I'm sure none of you have ever been able to look back and say "gee I should have done this several years ago. In the meantime, Tony Fiegen did a hell of a job at conditioning and improving that he cut down on the time that Marcus would have played under a different set of circumstances. Last year, Prince looked like he would see a lot of playing time this year. So here we are, Marcus has proved he can play next year and he will get that chance. Bittle saw playing time (and not just as a backup to Nate) until he broke his hand (better not go into that), Prince struggled through turf toe, and generally struggled anyway, and Horstman had back problems.

Getting more playing time (when available and under our circumstances) by getting in the last 10 minutes of several games where the game is basically over, hardly provides a lot of quality game improvement IMO. In tight games, where a lot of our games have been, especially down the stretch, our starting five has given us a great finish, a tie for the league championship, and a #1 seed. Seems to me that's worked out pretty well. Would I like to have a deeper bench and more equal quality of players (like the women's team)? Of course. I suspect at times that Nagy is wrapped up in a game, and assistant coaches could help on substituting. But, honestly, I think this is (as the "Hefty" thread amply demonstrates) much adieu about nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
        Plus, he is playing for his brother who is an assistant coach at Mankato.
        Didn't realize that. Interesting.
        This space for lease.

Comment

BTW- After seeing SLU-NMSU I take back my comment.

Comment

Working...
          X