Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Room for a hefty but mediocre post?

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
    Amazing that 00=01 team averaged 87 points while giving up 74+. The game at all levels has been slowing down since the 90's.
    guys in general are bigger and stronger and understand the game better on both sides, its what we saw at omaha winning 100-80something use to be common, not we se scores like in the 50 and 60s more it seems. plus the style of play changes in time too. I am actually surprised more teams epecially at the college level dont have a hurry up fast tempo offense, the more shots you take the more you can make game plan. how good shooters are i figured teams would be working harder to bring the ball up the court faster to help counter letting a defense get set.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
      guys in general are bigger and stronger and understand the game better on both sides, its what we saw at omaha winning 100-80something use to be common, not we se scores like in the 50 and 60s more it seems. plus the style of play changes in time too. I am actually surprised more teams epecially at the college level dont have a hurry up fast tempo offense, the more shots you take the more you can make game plan. how good shooters are i figured teams would be working harder to bring the ball up the court faster to help counter letting a defense get set.
      I think its fair to say that the game has changed since Dr. Naismith hung the peach baskets at the U of Kansas in so many ways. Some of them have been pointed out in this thread.

Comment

Personally I like small ball better where 1-5 has a jumpshot. UNC switched to a smaller lineup this year and they have been on a roll ever since. Miami Heat and others in the NBA have a small lineup. The only way you would want a big is if he can run the floor and shotblock otherwise I think he is more detrimental than helpful.
        "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
          Wasn't following the Jacks when Cerveny was playing, but looked up the 00-01 team totals on the NCC website. That team had 10 players averaging 13+ minutes a game. Remember Nagy's comments during transition that his best teams would have won about 17 games, so I know the present team is a lot better, but why does playing DI mean you can't go deeper into the bench??
          I suspect it's a lot tougher to hang on to good reserves. Zach Monaghan, for example, was a very promising backup guard on last year's team. He transferred to a good D-II team (Minnesota State, which is 24-4), where he plays a lot. As a sophomore there, he's averaging nearly 13 points, 6 assists and 3 steals a game. Had he remained a Jack, he probably would have spent another year on the bench, behind Walters and Carlson.
          This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
            I suspect it's a lot tougher to hang on to good reserves. Zach Monaghan, for example, was a very promising backup guard on last year's team. He transferred to a good D-II team (Minnesota State, which is 24-4), where he plays a lot. As a sophomore there, he's averaging nearly 13 points, 6 assists and 3 steals a game. Had he remained a Jack, he probably would have spent another year on the bench, behind Walters and Carlson.
            Our bench rotation frustrates me to no end. Monaghan was obviously good enough to log minutes. Is he as good as Wolters or Carlson? Nope. But when Carlson is logging 34 minutes per game and asked to stop the best players in the league, its silly. I wonder if there is another team in the nation with its 5 starters playing more than 31 minutes a game.

I may be out of line, but it seems increasingly apparent (to me at least) that with Coach Nagy you are either in the penthouse or the doghouse. There isn't a lot of middle ground. Contrast with coaches where players are rarely in either, unless off field/court issues come up.

Such a short bench could cost us in the tournament. It likely will cost us next year.

I've said enough.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

"One time I was with Cervany in the back of a pickup truck, along with a live deer. Josh goes up to the deer and says, 'I'm Josh Cervany! SAY IT!' Then he manipulates the deer's lips in such a way as to make it say, 'joshcervany' ... It wasn't exactly like it, but it was pretty good for a deer!"

Didn't know you were supposed to have live deer in a vehicle. Reminds me of this 911 call

http://www.hark.com/clips/vfpktbmdpj...ttack-911-call

Disclosure--according to Snopes this may possibly, could be an urban legend.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/farce/deaddeer.asp
              Last edited by Grizzled_Jack; 03-06-2013, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                Personally I like small ball better where 1-5 has a jumpshot. UNC switched to a smaller lineup this year and they have been on a roll ever since. Miami Heat and others in the NBA have a small lineup. The only way you would want a big is if he can run the floor and shotblock otherwise I think he is more detrimental than helpful.
                Miami benefits from Wade and Lebron being great interior defenders at the wing/forward positions. I generally agree, though.
                Originally posted by JackFan96
                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                  Players are also allowed to play more physical too. The last few years, it has become ridiculous, honestly. When did it become legal for a defender to bump a man running a cut off a screen? That is a foul. However, defenders are now allowed to actually run into the cutter to slow them down. I do not understand this. I also hate the block/charge crap that has gotten out of hand this year. Moreover, when did it become legal to dive onto another player who is on the floor with the ball? (Not the mention, a guy laying on the floor with the ball rolling over is a travel isn't it?) I saw this last night in the Cal/Stanford game. Dude was laying on the floor, another guy doing his best Aaron Craft impersonation, dives on top of him and reaches around him and grabs the ball. That is a foul. The ref called it a jump ball. Dumb. The style of play is directly related to the decrease in scoring throughout the country, in my opinion.
                  "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                  "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                    Players are also allowed to play more physical too. The last few years, it has become ridiculous, honestly. When did it become legal for a defender to bump a man running a cut off a screen? That is a foul. However, defenders are now allowed to actually run into the cutter to slow them down. I do not understand this. I also hate the block/charge crap that has gotten out of hand this year. Moreover, when did it become legal to dive onto another player who is on the floor with the ball? (Not the mention, a guy laying on the floor with the ball rolling over is a travel isn't it?) I saw this last night in the Cal/Stanford game. Dude was laying on the floor, another guy doing his best Aaron Craft impersonation, dives on top of him and reaches around him and grabs the ball. That is a foul. The ref called it a jump ball. Dumb. The style of play is directly related to the decrease in scoring throughout the country, in my opinion.
                    Juice,

I couldn't agree with you more.
                    Hey PM me regarding your plans for the Summit League tourney.

They should allow tailgating at the Arena.

Comment

totally agree. like how many illegal screens oakland runs agame. yeah, even in college they seem to get lax on traveling which usually they are pretty consistant with I always thought, but now guys are taking steps like they are in the nba already.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                        Juice,

I couldn't agree with you more.
                        Hey PM me regarding your plans for the Summit League tourney.

They should allow tailgating at the Arena.
                        PM Sent.
                        "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                        "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Nail on the head.
                          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Right on the money. I can hardly stand to watch it. You have these very talented scorers that can handle and get to the hoop being held or bumped by the on ball defender and then as soon as the get by and turn the corner the help defender jumps in front of them, falls down and a charge is called. It happens time and again every night across every conference.

You can't bump the guy dribbling the ball. Reaching in to try and steal and then contacting the dribblers body and impeding his progress should be called. Bumping a shooters body to throw him off balance is a foul, I don't care if the defenders hands are straight up and down. Its ridiculous.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Zach would have played but we really don't know how much. The coaches were surprised and disappointed he left. Zach was a fearless kid. He'd literally try and dunk on people in practice all the time.

I'm curious if Nagy's style will knock recruiting as well. With only playing 6 or 7 guys all the past two years it will be harder to convince a kid to come and think he'll play early. Part of it is because SDSU has that core group who has played together so long, but there's been zero bench development or production.
                              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Plus, he is playing for his brother who is an assistant coach at Mankato.

Comment

Working...
                                X