Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2014 Recruits

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
    I can't imagine it's any smaller than Rock Valley, IA. Seems like we had fairly good luck with a couple of small school big men from there.
    I followed HS bb when I lived at Columbus, and I want to say the enrollments for the C-2 ran somewhere between 80 to 120 students for 4 years. I think you right they might be about the same size as Rock Valley.

Comment

Did a google Kimball Neb has 115 students.

Comment

Originally posted by 3ptJackrabbit View Post
        In the state of Ne how big is the C-2 class. Sounds like he's in for a rude of wakening if it's as small of a class as it sounds.
        I don't know much about Nagy, but I'd imagine at this point in his career, it's the talent/potential he sees that matters much more than the competition a recruit is playing against. A good coach will look at things like strength, footwork, shot speed, grit/effort, etc. more than whether or not a 6'9" kid is dropping 30 ppg on small school defenders who are 6'3". I know the recruit in question isn't a big man, but I'm just trying to illustrate my point. Plus, I'd imagine they've watched him play in the AAU circuit, which isn't necessarily made up of other small school competition, and I'd assume from seeing him in that setting that they've gotten a better idea of his skill level against comparable talent.

Of course, there is always the risk that a kid might not fare well against competition at the next level, but unless you've got a surefire star like the big-time D1 recruits, it's still a risk with players from large cities just like it is with players from tiny towns. You never know the mindset a kid is going to be in when he arrives on campus, regardless of the competition he's played against in high school. At the end of the day, incoming recruits are mostly just teenage kids (and anyone with teenagers knows they can be unpredictable). Everything I've read about this kid inclines me to believe he'll be a competitor regardless of his high school class size, and competitors find a way to win at any level.

EDIT: I was thinking of the wrong player and didn't realize you were talking about Daum, who is a big man. Which makes my earlier comment about "I know the recruit in question isn't a big man," sound kind of stupid. Sorry y'all. Hopefully the rest of it is still applicable.
        Last edited by MrAugustana; 03-15-2014, 08:33 AM. Reason: clarifying that I'm dumb sometimes

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
          I can't imagine it's any smaller than Rock Valley, IA. Seems like we had fairly good luck with a couple of small school big men from there.
          Agree, fairly good luck. What I'm looking for are Summit titles and NCAA appearances. The 2 we have are a credit to Nate Wolters. Without a player like Nate this program would still be looking for that first title. Maybe one of these guys is the next Wolter's like player.

I am very concerned about small school, remotely located players that don't see high level competition nightly. The AAU circuit affords coaches some exposure but not the same as a player from a larger class that plays against a greater number of high quality athletes. Doesn't mean small town kids won't, can't be great. Does mean that aren't as proven and deserve some extra concern.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
            I don't know much about Nagy, but I'd imagine at this point in his career, it's the talent/potential he sees that matters much more than the competition a recruit is playing against. A good coach will look at things like strength, footwork, shot speed, grit/effort, etc. more than whether or not a 6'9" kid is dropping 30 ppg on small school defenders who are 6'3". I know the recruit in question isn't a big man, but I'm just trying to illustrate my point. Plus, I'd imagine they've watched him play in the AAU circuit, which isn't necessarily made up of other small school competition, and I'd assume from seeing him in that setting that they've gotten a better idea of his skill level against comparable talent.

Of course, there is always the risk that a kid might not fare well against competition at the next level, but unless you've got a surefire star like the big-time D1 recruits, it's still a risk with players from large cities just like it is with players from tiny towns. You never know the mindset a kid is going to be in when he arrives on campus, regardless of the competition he's played against in high school. At the end of the day, incoming recruits are mostly just teenage kids (and anyone with teenagers knows they can be unpredictable). Everything I've read about this kid inclines me to believe he'll be a competitor regardless of his high school class size, and competitors find a way to win at any level.
            We have a BINGO!

SUPERBUNNY
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
              Agree, fairly good luck. What I'm looking for are Summit titles and NCAA appearances. The 2 we have are a credit to Nate Wolters. Without a player like Nate this program would still be looking for that first title. Maybe one of these guys is the next Wolter's like player.

I am very concerned about small school, remotely located players that don't see high level competition nightly. The AAU circuit affords coaches some exposure but not the same as a player from a larger class that plays against a greater number of high quality athletes. Doesn't mean small town kids won't, can't be great. Does mean that aren't as proven and deserve some extra concern.
              While I agree that Nate Wolters is largely responsible for our 2 NCAA appearances, every team I can think of that has won the SLT has had 1-2 similar (if not as great) players. I see no reason to think that SDSU/Nagy can't attract difference makers. Dykstra and Carlson were difference makers, but we need at least 1 POY caliber player to be serious about winning the Summit. This year, we didn't have it. It may be overly optimistic, but right now it looks like Larson is our best candidate for POY consideration. Put 1-2 pieces around him and we are likely competitive. Who those 1-2 are is what makes me nervous.

As to the small school kids, how many players on our current roster would be classified as "large high school" players? A quick glance at the roster shows 3-5 kids from what I would consider "large high schools." Other than Larson and Carlson, they are practice players or redshirts. It isn't like we're competing with Augustana and USF for these small school kids. If we didn't get them, they would be on another DI roster somewhere.

I'm nervous about next year, but it has little to do with how big of a high school these kids come from.

I don't think I'm disagreeing with you per say, just my $.02.
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                While I agree that Nate Wolters is largely responsible for our 2 NCAA appearances, every team I can think of that has won the SLT has had 1-2 similar (if not as great) players. I see no reason to think that SDSU/Nagy can't attract difference makers. Dykstra and Carlson were difference makers, but we need at least 1 POY caliber player to be serious about winning the Summit. This year, we didn't have it. It may be overly optimistic, but right now it looks like Larson is our best candidate for POY consideration. Put 1-2 pieces around him and we are likely competitive. Who those 1-2 are is what makes me nervous.

As to the small school kids, how many players on our current roster would be classified as "large high school" players? A quick glance at the roster shows 3-5 kids from what I would consider "large high schools." Other than Larson and Carlson, they are practice players or redshirts. It isn't like we're competing with Augustana and USF for these small school kids. If we didn't get them, they would be on another DI roster somewhere.

I'm nervous about next year, but it has little to do with how big of a high school these kids come from.

Since our eligibility in '09:

Players of the Year
                Ben Woodside - title
                Keith Benson - title
                Keith Benson - title
                Dominque Morrison (should have been Wolters)
                Nate Wolters - title
                Taylor Braun - title

Pretty good correlation there.
                "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

Understand your points completely. To expand a bit on my train of thought, Nate Wolters was a pretty unheralded guy from a relatively smaller school (nothing close to as small as some of our prior or current recruits) that turned this program into a title contender and earned us 2 tourney births. I am willing to bet you just about anything that a different "SDSU recruit" wouldn't have gotten that done. Wolters turned out to be the proverbial diamond in the rough.

Its hard to go out and get a blue chip kid to come play at SDSU. Not impossible but hard. Not all blue chip kids are studs at this level so even when you get that rare one it could be a bust. So, you look at kids with potential based on physical attributes and performance on the court and you take your chances. Really great coaches and their staff can mold some of these guys into all conference, title contending players.

I'm damn glad I am not in the college coaching business.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

As far as next year goes? They'll be young but.....I think Larson is gonna be a beast down low as a senior. Bittle is a warrior. Broman will have a year to prepare and get the head light stare out of his way. Marshall is going to step in as pg probably and push Broman over to the 2 which is where he's best to spot up etc. The bench? It depends a bit on who's left. I'm guessing you'll have some transfers out this year due to playing time. When we got beat we got out muscled and out worked to an extent. Our rebounding has to improve from this year. Nagy likes playing 7-8 kids each year. I don't see that changing so we need to find 3-4 for the rotation next year.
                    Also have Deondre Parks , who is coming in from Flint,MI via an Iowa JUCO who was 2nd or 3rd team All-American as a freshman.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                      Also have Deondre Parks , who is coming in from Flint,MI via an Iowa JUCO who was 2nd or 3rd team All-American as a freshman.
                      I'm excited to have Parks joining the team. However, he plays at the DII equivalent of the junior college ranks (and was a 3rd team All-American).

Here's the first team All-Americans at that level from last year and where they are currently attending:

Michael Harris - University of West Alabama
                      David Humphries - Freshman
                      Charles Oliver - Robert Morris
                      William Powell - Seattle
                      Thaddeus Rideau - UAB
                      CHRIS SOLOMON - Northwood University
                      James Spencer - Not sure, but was looking at DII's in the article I found on him.
                      Karrington Ward - Eastern Michigan
                      Christopher Whitehead - Fordham
                      Desmond Williams - Freshman

Certainly, most guys on that list are playing at SDSU's level, some slightly higher or lower. But these aren't DI all-conference talent guys, for the most part. I'm not saying we shouldn't be excited to have him, but I would be quite surprised if he cracked a post-season all Summit team next year.
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I couldn't care less what the size of high school they play in. Kids are recruited through AAU not high school more often than not. If you can compete at AAU tournaments, you can compete in D1
                        "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

I'm talking about coming in and competing next year. AAU tournaments are in no way indicative of the college game. I've seen legends in open gym (comparable to AAU) and they can't run plays, they can't play defense etc. Nagy's system isn't geared for kids that aren't looking for contact.

Comment

I'm talking about coming in and competing next year. AAU tournaments are in no way indicative of the college game. I've seen legends in open gym (comparable to AAU) and they can't run plays, they can't play defense etc. Nagy's system isn't geared for kids that aren't looking for contact.
                            Agree. AAU success does not translate to DI success. The guys coming to SDSU are the guys coming to SDSU. I am ever hopeful that one or more of them is the next great player for the Jackrabbits. Going to be an interesting new year.

Comment

High school kids are discovered at AAU and college coaches usually recruit from AAU. AAU is where it's at if you want decent offers. I believe there were questions about Broman until AAU and his interest went up after he held his own.
                              "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                                Understand your points completely. To expand a bit on my train of thought, Nate Wolters was a pretty unheralded guy from a relatively smaller school (nothing close to as small as some of our prior or current recruits) that turned this program into a title contender and earned us 2 tourney births. I am willing to bet you just about anything that a different "SDSU recruit" wouldn't have gotten that done. Wolters turned out to be the proverbial diamond in the rough.
                                No doubt Nate was a diamond in the rough, but he did cut his teeth against "large schools". During his senior year, their only loss was in the semi finals of the 4A State Tournament. Hopkins beat them that year and many thought at the time that it was one of the best high school teams ever in Minnesota. Gophers recruit, Royce White was the star for Hopkins, but they also had other high profile recruits that had commitments from Notre Dame, Santa Clara, and Arizona State.

I believe Daum has potential based on his AAU experience, unfortunately he did not face significant competition on a regular basis. Most schools in the western half of Nebraska have difficulties when they make it to the state tourney because they lack depth in quality teams with high caliber players. They routinely played games against competition with class enrollment a of 25 to 50 kids per graduating class. Nate cut his teeth routinely against high school competition from the highest level in Minnesota.

Comment

Working...
                                X