Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2014 Recruits

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
    This kid has size. Not your average bean pole, and he looks to be a ball handler as well. A great addition for next year.

Comment

Perhaps Daum will be ready to help out replacing Dykstra/Heemstra next year. He's 6'9 and a shooter.

I see that he made 5 threes in a 36 point, 7 rebound, 4 block performance February 21. The other night he had 19 points, 17 rebounds, and a buzzer-beater tip-in for the win in a championship game at a district tourney.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
        Perhaps Daum will be ready to help out replacing Dykstra/Heemstra next year. He's 6'9 and a shooter.

I see that he made 5 threes in a 36 point, 7 rebound, 4 block performance February 21. The other night he had 19 points, 17 rebounds, and a buzzer-beater tip-in for the win in a championship game at a district tourney.
        I was thinking about this the other night. I don't think we are going to have much depth in the post. Dykstra is going to be hard to replace.

I wouldn't count on too much out of Doyle since he's a RS freshmen. Would be nice to see Devine put on some weight too he's listed at 6'-10" and 217 pounds. That's a string bean....twenty pounds would help him a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
          I was thinking about this the other night. I don't think we are going to have much depth in the post. Dykstra is going to be hard to replace.

I wouldn't count on too much out of Doyle since he's a RS freshmen. Would be nice to see Devine put on some weight too he's listed at 6'-10" and 217 pounds. That's a string bean....twenty pounds would help him a lot.
          i cant even remember the last time i was 217.... and i am 6'1"......anyway cant be much skinner then heemstra. Devine will need to spend all summer in the gym building some size and eating a lot of calories to put on some mass.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
            i cant even remember the last time i was 217.... and i am 6'1"......anyway cant be much skinner then heemstra. Devine will need to spend all summer in the gym building some size and eating a lot of calories to put on some mass.
            I remember one of my friends lived across the hall from Mark Engen. My friend said that Mark had to set an alarm to wake up in the middle of the night and eat two peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches. haha. I still don't think he put on any weight.
            Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
              I remember one of my friends lived across the hall from Mark Engen. My friend said that Mark had to set an alarm to wake up in the middle of the night and eat two peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches. haha. I still don't think he put on any weight.
              What I wouldn't give to have that problem......

Comment

Jared Dejong had that problem it seemed too my freshman year. like those tall skinny guys can put weight on in college as hard as they try.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Mark was in Detroit last year at the NCAA tourney. Talked to him for a few minutes. Don't think he has gained any weight since he quit playing.

I have a lot of respect for Mark and all the other guys that played during that time period. We weren't good, but those guys didn't quit on SDSU. I respect that.

Comment

Its nice that both Thiesen and Daum already have some girth to go along with their height. The lack of weight on Devine makes him more of a project than a major contributor at this point.
                    "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

I'm not saying that Devine will or won't be like this guy but his name came to mind when I read this discussion- Keith Benson. He was/is listed as 6' 11' and 230. That's not much different than 6' 10" and 217. If I remember right, they said that Devine lost about 20 pounds when he got sick. That would mean that he could/should weigh as much as Benson does now as a sophomore.

I hope that one or two of the freshmen can contribute right away but I don't like having 6 people in one class. Look at how NDSU had their good year and now they have this year but then they will be down again. Not to say that has to happen but it's tougher with a big class.

Comment

We are seeing a year where 3 starting seniors are leaving. These guys all played or started from the freshman year forward. 1 senior was a steady reserve 2-3 years. There will be redshirt freshmen(Severyn & Flatten & Doyle) and incoming freshmen with a shot at playing time. There is also the 2 transfer guards arriving. The incoming players will offer some potential to the lineup as it appears to improve a bit annually. Broman, Devine, and Horstmann all have a shot at more contributions next year as well. Maybe Coach Nagy will need to go 8-9 deep next year.
                        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                          I'm not saying that Devine will or won't be like this guy but his name came to mind when I read this discussion- Keith Benson. He was/is listed as 6' 11' and 230. That's not much different than 6' 10" and 217. If I remember right, they said that Devine lost about 20 pounds when he got sick. That would mean that he could/should weigh as much as Benson does now as a sophomore.

I hope that one or two of the freshmen can contribute right away but I don't like having 6 people in one class. Look at how NDSU had their good year and now they have this year but then they will be down again. Not to say that has to happen but it's tougher with a big class.
                          I don't know nearly enough about Devine's game to know what he will become. Maybe he hasn't gotten much time because he has older more experienced players ahead of him. Maybe he will step in next year and be a major contributor. Lots of unknowns and it's cause for some concern.

I don't really expect much out of any of the incoming freshmen. It's just really difficult to get a freshman at our level that will make a difference. Mid-majors win with experience because they have trouble getting the game changing freshman.

What is the 6 people in one class talk? We have five new bodies (according to the first page in this thread) coming in next year, but two on them will only have two years of eligibility. So they may be new next year, but won't "graduate" with Daum, Theissen, or Tellinghuisen.

Comment

Technically the 3 redshirts and 3 incoming would make a class of 6. Maybe one or two of the new guys will redshirt and alter the number some. I would believe one of the those 6 and maybe 2 of those 6 could be a starter next year. It may be later in the year like a Nate or occasionally like Dykstra and some may be steady contributors like Carlson and White in their first year playing. I still see Devine backing Larson at the post rather than one of them going to a PF.. The Dykstra position appears open for a freshman or redshirt freshman to fill.
                            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Without knowing any more about the situation than I see on the roster, I'd bet on Tellinghuisen redshirting. He's a 6'5 G/F that will be behind Horstman, Severyn, Flatten, and Bittle. Donlan would also be on that list.

I bet we will see one of the two big guys play next year. On paper, they seem to be very similar players. They are both 6'9 or taller and can shoot (Dystra-lite). Daum has made 66 3's this year (40%). That's not bad for a guy that is listed at 6'10 in some articles. The Larson/Devine/Doyle combo will offer a traditional in-the-paint center, but there will be room for a combo-big.

Comment

Speaking of the redshirts next year...anyone have a legitimate update on how flatten, severyn, and Doyle have looked in practice? Any of them have a chance at solid minutes next year?

Comment

Working...
                                X