Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Pet peeves

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
    Reggie Hamilton played for Oakland if I remember correctly. I think Dominique Morrison from ORU is who you may be thinking of. Played when he wanted to and was a major-league whiner.
    yes, tahts who i was thinking of. when he played he was good but when he didnt play he sure whined a lot.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
      Jesus Christ.
      Haha! +1
      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Read my post. Did I say ANYWHERE that arrogant players are just super competitive and that's okay? No. The only time I used the word arrogant, I put quotes around it. I referred to players that are labeled as arrogant, which is different than actually being arrogant. We, as fans, have very little idea about what kind of person someone is just from watching them play basketball two or three times. You claim that Dirk, DRose, KD and Duncan aren't arrogant? How do you know? You've watched them play basketball and they don't come off as arrogant? You assert your opinions as facts when they aren't actually facts. Facts can be proven. Your post is so full of logical fallacies it is ridiculous.

"So being super competitive is ok to be arrogant." That's something you actually typed and posted. Read that.

And despite ALL of that, you're still wrong. If someone plays basketball in an arrogant way (whatever in the **** that means), is that a bad thing? Is there a difference between high levels of confidence and arrogance? Then where do you draw the line? How do you figure out which player is on which side of the arbitrary line that you are creating? What if it's different for you and someone else? And again, you are going to figure this all out from watching them play basketball?

Once we move past all of that, you are watching Bader and goon is watching Reggie Hamilton (who played at Oakland) through the eyes of a Jackrabbit fan. Would you think differently of those players and their playing styles if they played for SDSU? Are you capable of looking at those players objectively?

If you were one of my English students, I would ask you all of these questions and we'd probably have to have quite the discussion about reshaping your paper, thesis and assertions of facts as opinons.
        1. You did not name any players other than Bader which was already mentioned.
        2. Arrogance:"1. offensive display of superiority or self-importance; overbearing pride." "2.When a person is led to believe that they are in some way more superior to everybody else." You can be arrogant on the court but not be off the court, but that doesn't mean you aren't arrogant on the court.
        3. I was being sarcastic when I typed, "So being super competitive is ok to be arrogant" by using logic of when you said they are just super competitive.
        4. There is difference between being confident in your abilities and arrogant. I really don't understand how there isn't a difference
        5. I know I'm not the only one who thinks Bader is arrogant, and I have thought Reggie was skilled so I never had a problem with him. Oakland is 11-13, Bader less than 40% from field and he thinks he is the best player on the court when he is pretty one dimensional. That is my biggest problem with him.
        6. I didn't know I was writing an English paper.
        "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

If someone else wants to try, go for it.

I'm going to do something productive and try to teach my dishwasher how to read. Later.
          Originally posted by JackFan96
          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

If someone else wants to try, go for it.

I'm going to do something productive and try to teach my dishwasher how to read. Later.
            Weak Sauce. Lame. My nephew has made better jokes
            "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

You assert your opinions as facts when they aren't actually facts. Facts can be proven. Your post is so full of logical fallacies it is ridiculous.

"So being super competitive is ok to be arrogant." That's something you actually typed and posted. Read that.

And despite ALL of that, you're still wrong.
              Nothing like calling someone’s opinion as not being a fact, and then interjecting an opinion as fact. I got a good laugh out of that.

I guess it comes down to the eye of the beholder. To me if a person acts a certain way, I might find them arrogant pr cocky, you might not. That does not mean one has a correct opinion over the other. And to judge that one’s opinion is biased over another is just another way showing personal bias and opinion that still is not proven as fact. Not like we are saying they are horrible people, it’s the same how people hate on Duke players. That they are no good, and can’t make the NBA or whiners or whatever people want to say. To that person, it is true from their point of view.

The line that a person judges another from is their own perspective. Passing that someone can't view say Michael Jordan as having a huge ego, one might say it’s just his confidence.......Asserting that you know what is and is not ok opinion shows that your opinion may be flawed too.

Maybe it is time for some pie.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

I see that I missed DRAMA last night.

Ah, well . . .
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                  I see that I missed DRAMA last night.

Ah, well . . .
                  Yah, two of my favorites knocking heads. Interesting. Joking of course, both Witness and RO are good guys with strong opinions.

Comment

I'll just say it for almost everyone here: Stu Whitney

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                      I'll just say it for almost everyone here: Stu Whitney
                      Motion seconded and carried!
                      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                        Motion seconded and carried!
                        I think slosho finally got it and we can finally get some pie.

Comment

confidence and arrogance are an effect from how you understand reality. Arrogance is when your understanding of reality is distorted. You have a guy like bader who understands himself to be better than he is in reality. The effect of that perception of oneself will show up as arrogance. Just like a player who doesn't seem to have enough confidence his understanding of reality is distorted. He understands himself to be worse than he is in reality. Self deprecating. An accurate understanding of ones abilities and capabilities will show up as confidence. Because it is realistic and grounded in truth. easy to say difficult to do

Comment

Originally posted by discoDancinJackrabbit View Post
                            confidence and arrogance are an effect from how you understand reality. Arrogance is when your understanding of reality is distorted. You have a guy like bader who understands himself to be better than he is in reality. The effect of that perception of oneself will show up as arrogance. Just like a player who doesn't seem to have enough confidence his understanding of reality is distorted. He understands himself to be worse than he is in reality. Self deprecating. An accurate understanding of ones abilities and capabilities will show up as confidence. Because it is realistic and grounded in truth. easy to say difficult to do
                            Those are all good thoughts. That said, you don't have any idea what Bader understands about himself. If you think he is arrogant, that is YOUR perception.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                              Those are all good thoughts. That said, you don't have any idea what Bader understands about himself. If you think he is arrogant, that is YOUR perception.
                              What the heck are you guys arguing about? Arrogance, confidence, etc.. are all a matter of perception.

Bader is a decent 3-point shooter, almost as good as me.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Wow, sorry for getting that all started. I think we can all agree that Bader is Bader. I'd love him on my team when he hits 10 3s for 37. I'd hate watching him scratch out 21 on 4-17 shooting and acting like he's top dog. Too inconsistent, but he gets his 20. Volume shooter

Yes, all top athletes have confidence. But I think fans are more intuitive about arrogance than some give them credit for. And they seem to like guys that have that quiet confidence..ie Nate. Nate doesn't think he's the best player on the court, he knows it. If you talk to him, he knows he's damn good. But if you have watched the jacks play on the road, I think you would 100% agree with me that there is no way opposing fans have the sour taste in their mouth about Nate as some of us do for Bader.

Unless you're lakesbison

Comment

Working...
                                X