Tennessee State GDT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tennessee State GDT

Did anyone notice the defense of Nate when he blocked late shot on layup of #2 after the the turnover? This weekend will get some more of the talent a chance to get in the groove with 3 games in 3 days.
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
      Did anyone notice the defense of Nate when he blocked late shot on layup of #2 after the the turnover? This weekend will get some more of the talent a chance to get in the groove with 3 games in 3 days.
      Absolutely did, huge block followed by a nice defensive play by Chad White. Watch the post game news conference with Nate and Jordan on TV's app. Tenn St. was very athletic and a good team. This was a nice win for the Jackrabbits. SDSU shot lights out in the first half and did almost nothing wrong. The second half was more difficult as Tenn St. made adjustments and the Jacks shot less well (2-10 on 3's). Most important thing, they persevered and won the game.

The victory over WIU in the championship game last year was a battle of wills and this team proved it has that will to win. I think if Bama doesn't throw in that 3 point prayer the Jackrabbits are 2-0 with an OT win. Doesn't matter, on to New York where 3-0 is a real possibility and anything other than 2 wins would be a disappointment.

This is a great team that will get better. They might not always play great but they will most of the time.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I love what Nagy said after the game. He needs this team to know and believe that defense and rebounding is what wins game and wins championships. Not just knowing but BELIEVING and executing on defense and the boards. Tenn St. had 15 offensive boards, that can't happen. Great teams play great defense, rebound, and get the loose balls. This team has plenty of offensive weapons and will handle the ball better. Does this team have the heart to play 40 mins of defense, box out and get loose balls? I think they do.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by leeshajo View Post
          Here is my "girly" moment for the day... not a big fan of the grey uni's, they look like the whites got washed with the blacks... just kind of grungy.
          That's funny. I wasn't a fan of them in the picture but in person I thought they were fantastic! I guess that's why they make clothes and cars in all colors.

SUPERBUNNY
          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I was pleased with an awful lot of what happened last night. Here it goes:

1. I like how the team has started fast in every game. Don't like how the other teams come back but it sure beats the alternative
            2. Chad White was much better last night. Had some off moments, Coach was in his ear about that, but he was looking for opportunities to score.
            3. Love the way we shoot free throws.
            4. Carlson hasn't found his shot yet but otherwise I thought he played quite well.
            5. Fiegen is a warrior.
            6. Wolters had another quiet 20 & 5 game. Looks too easy!
            7. Dykstra is a beast!
            8. Coach is really on them to give 110% on defense. We are a deep team and everyone has to be committed to it. They'll get it and it will pay off big time!
            9. LOVED the student involvment on both ends. They'll get more into it with every game.
            10. The Pep Band. Umm, these students weren't even born when most of the songs they play are hits. Just sayin! They're played well but time to change up the playlist!
            11. Really good crowd for a Tuesday night and relatively unknown opponent.

Nagy said on the radio in pregame that he thought Tennessee State was better than Alabama and that they're the best team we have coming to frost. That works for me. We clearly showed we were the better team. The score was much closer than it looked in person. Give TS credit for keeping the fight up. We started well, had some rough spots, but in the end we finished it. This is a fun team to watch!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY

Comment

How deep did the bench play? Did heemstra and bittle get in much? I was hoping to hear a break down of what they were like. We need more then prince to get minutes off the bench and was hoping those 2 and zach would have gotten into the flow of the game.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                How deep did the bench play? Did heemstra and bittle get in much? I was hoping to hear a break down of what they were like. We need more then prince to get minutes off the bench and was hoping those 2 and zach would have gotten into the flow of the game.
                Played 8. Heemstra started, White was 6th man. Prince got the most minutes after White. Bittle had limited time in the first half, scored a bucket and had a TO. White had 3 TO's in 27 mins while Nate and Jordan had 4 TO's each. As Nagy said, have to handle the ball better.

I think Zach is hurt, may not see much of him. Nagy said Bittle isn't ready for crunch time, too many turnovers in practice. Said he is a great defender and will be getting more time, especially this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                  Played 8. Heemstra started, White was 6th man. Prince got the most minutes after White. Bittle had limited time in the first half, scored a bucket and had a TO. White had 3 TO's in 27 mins while Nate and Jordan had 4 TO's each. As Nagy said, have to handle the ball better.

I think Zach is hurt, may not see much of him. Nagy said Bittle isn't ready for crunch time, too many turnovers in practice. Said he is a great defender and will be getting more time, especially this weekend.
                  That's cool. Do we think that's the new starting line up and keep white as the 6th man? Seemed to do well with it last year.

This stretch of good teams we face to open the season and 3 games in 3 days will pay off huge later in the year.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

That's cool. Do we think that's the new starting line up and keep white as the 6th man? Seemed to do well with it last year.

This stretch of good teams we face to open the season and 3 games in 3 days will pay off huge later in the year.
                    I think they went with a larger lineup to match up with TS. I thought Heemstra played allright. Was really good on defensive end.

SUPERBUNNY

Comment

Nagy said it was a match-up thing but then Tenn St. changed their line-up. He also said that he thought it helped Chad to watch from the bench and that he looked much more comfortable when he did get on the floor. We might see more of Chad as the 6th man.

Comment

I like Chad as the 6th man, maybe I'm completely wrong because I don't have the numbers, but it seems like he has better starts to games when coming off the bench. And I'm willing to bet the minutes are roughly the same with him coming off the bench compared to starting.

I'd like to see a little more of the bench used, it might just be because of match ups/competition. But I'd like to see Heemstra, Bittle and Horstman seeing some minutes. Maybe they will this weekend. It just seems like 6 guys are getting the mass bulk of the minutes and I don't want them to hit a wall in February because of it.

Comment

Nate makes shooting free throws look so easy. You can tell he's doing something different this year in his shot. was not surprised to read he is 16 for 16. with the way TS was holding and blocking him late when the Jacks were throwing the ball in after a basket Prince better work more on his free shots cause he may see a lot of them.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                            I like Chad as the 6th man, maybe I'm completely wrong because I don't have the numbers, but it seems like he has better starts to games when coming off the bench. And I'm willing to bet the minutes are roughly the same with him coming off the bench compared to starting.

I'd like to see a little more of the bench used, it might just be because of match ups/competition. But I'd like to see Heemstra, Bittle and Horstman seeing some minutes. Maybe they will this weekend. It just seems like 6 guys are getting the mass bulk of the minutes and I don't want them to hit a wall in February because of it.
                            If Chad is mature enough to handle it, I think we are a better team with him coming off the bench. He should be getting the majority of minutes whether he starts or comes off the bench.
                            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I throw my ancient comment on this game. This was not Tennessee State's first visit to Brookings. They made history back in 1957 when they were known as Tennessee A & I. This was their first year in NAIA. Prior to that year, Historically Black Schools were not allowed membership in the NAIA.I attended this game as a high schooler. On the TSU team, was Dick Barnett who went on to the NBA and played with the LA Lakers and others I believe. Pitted against Barnett was Jim Sutton and Del Eisenbraum. SDSU won by 10 pts or so, but Barnett managed to score 40 pts, that I remember because I often kept score at the games.

TSU also played USD, and UND. They might have played NDSU too. Imagine for the first time they did not have to stay in "A Colored Only" hotel. That in its self had to be an experience.

Comment

Good memories Nidaros, except one, Dick Barnett was a NY Knick for many years. He played on those great Knick teams of the late 60's and 70's. He was a guard opposite Walt "Clyde" Frazier, and also teamates with Bill Bradley, Willis Reed, Dave Debusschere, and some guy named Phil Jackson.

Comment

Working...
                                X