Tennessee State GDT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tennessee State GDT

He did play for LA for a time so I guess you're right, Nidaros, my bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      I throw my ancient comment on this game. This was not Tennessee State's first visit to Brookings. They made history back in 1957 when they were known as Tennessee A & I. This was their first year in NAIA. Prior to that year, Historically Black Schools were not allowed membership in the NAIA.I attended this game as a high schooler. On the TSU team, was Dick Barnett who went on to the NBA and played with the LA Lakers and others I believe. Pitted against Barnett was Jim Sutton and Del Eisenbraum. SDSU won by 10 pts or so, but Barnett managed to score 40 pts, that I remember because I often kept score at the games.

TSU also played USD, and UND. They might have played NDSU too. Imagine for the first time they did not have to stay in "A Colored Only" hotel. That in its self had to be an experience.
      That is an great story. You may need to publish a memoir. It could include stories of Jackrabbit lore has well as your experience on message boards. You would have to include some of the great antagonists like lakesbison and the mavbots. I'm sure there have been many others. I'd read it online.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by boxerboy View Post
        Good memories Nidaros, except one, Dick Barnett was a NY Knick for many years. He played on those great Knick teams of the late 60's and 70's. He was a guard opposite Walt "Clyde" Frazier, and also teamates with Bill Bradley, Willis Reed, Dave Debusschere, and some guy named Phil Jackson.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Barnett

I recall tuning the LA Lakers game in 1970 and hearing his name which was a big surprise to me since I been overseas for 3.5 years and had lost track of mnay things. I did not follow his career but Wiki tells he did spend most of it with the NY Nicks. Also orginally drafted by Syrause. They were awesom in the NAIA too.

Comment

Does anyone know if Zach Horstman is injured? If not, is he just not ready to play at this level yet? I was impressed with Bittle's performance last night. He played good defense and played within himself on offense. He might be able to provide some ball handling skills to the mix. I think this team has great potential. I remember four years ago when we beat Dakota State in an exhibition game, but did not look that impressive. Now we are disappointed when we drop one to Alabama on the road and "only" beat Tennessee State by 7 at home. Just look how far we have come in such a short time. I am looking forward to a fun and exciting year.

Comment

zach has had some back ailments since last year. that may be a reason he has not played much.
            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
              zach has had some back ailments since last year. that may be a reason he has not played much.
              From the reports he missed most of the summer with the back injury and part of camp. So I'm sure that is some of it. Also Nagy has played a pretty short bench, which I'm guessing some of that is because of competition, and matchups. Nagy generally plays a short bench against the tough teams (playing 6 guys against Oakland last year). It'll be interesting to see how much time he gets this weekend in New York.

Comment

Didn't get to watch this game, but like what I've read.

Encouraged by what I read about Marcus.

Chad White may just be one of those guys who plays better as the 6th man? Sometimes that's how it works.

Although without him starting... Do we go Wolters, Bittle, Carlson? That makes us awfully small... our length on the wings is what helps us out defensively and rebounding wise.

Hopefully, J Bittle continues to grow and gain confidence... we're going to need him, especially if teams continue to try to take the ball out of Nate's hands. Although most of our competition in conference will not have as much talent/athleticism to do so as Alambama and Tenn. St.

Good Win. On to the next one.

Comment

I would use Prince ahead of Bittle because of his defensive grit, strength, and experience.

Comment

Tennessee State goes into Williams Arena tonight to play the Gophers. Will be interesting to compare scores and see what both teams did with a common opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                      Didn't get to watch this game, but like what I've read.

Encouraged by what I read about Marcus.

Chad White may just be one of those guys who plays better as the 6th man? Sometimes that's how it works.

Although without him starting... Do we go Wolters, Bittle, Carlson? That makes us awfully small... our length on the wings is what helps us out defensively and rebounding wise.

Hopefully, J Bittle continues to grow and gain confidence... we're going to need him, especially if teams continue to try to take the ball out of Nate's hands. Although most of our competition in conference will not have as much talent/athleticism to do so as Alambama and Tenn. St.

Good Win. On to the next one.
                      I'd start Prince or Heimstra depending on the matchup

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                        I'd start Prince or Heimstra depending on the matchup
                        I would go Heemstra and make other teams adjust to us. Also because I think He is a guy who might get a a better flow from starting the game once he gets use to it. He will find his role much better then coming off the bench IMO. not that hard after a couple minutes to sub prince in for him or who ever if needed.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                          I would go Heemstra and make other teams adjust to us. Also because I think He is a guy who might get a a better flow from starting the game once he gets use to it. He will find his role much better then coming off the bench IMO. not that hard after a couple minutes to sub prince in for him or who ever if needed.
                          The problem with starting Fiegen,Dykstra and Heemstra is that one of them has to guard the other team's 3. Because Jordan is probably the most mobile of the three,he would then be chasing a mobile 6'5" - 6'6" player all around the perimeter - think of him guarding a player like Bader. That burns up a lot of energy,and takes one of our best defensive rebounders out of the picture. Playing the 3 bigs together might work for short stretches,but I don't know that it works all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                            The problem with starting Fiegen,Dykstra and Heemstra is that one of them has to guard the other team's 3. Because Jordan is probably the most mobile of the three,he would then be chasing a mobile 6'5" - 6'6" player all around the perimeter - think of him guarding a player like Bader. That burns up a lot of energy,and takes one of our best defensive rebounders out of the picture. Playing the 3 bigs together might work for short stretches,but I don't know that it works all the time.
                            Flip side is that bader would have to try to stop dykstra, either shoot over him or work him in the post etc. goes both ways. I am not saying the whole game but I see more advantages to it then not. if the 3 are it would be a good time to use some zone play and use that length to change it up and make it tough for an offense to plan for different defenses used depending on the personel used.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                              Tennessee State goes into Williams Arena tonight to play the Gophers. Will be interesting to compare scores and see what both teams did with a common opponent.

Gophers 72-43

Comment

FWIW, Alabama beat Oregon St by 3 today, in a nailbiter, at Madison Square Garden. OSU is an average Pac-12 team.
                                LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Working...
                                X