X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Baylor

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
    Wish. I. Knew. How. To. Give. Rep. Points. I think my scotch came out of my nose that was so frickin' funny!
    Left click on the star on the bottom left of the post...then choose positive or negative and leave a message if you choose...then click submit....

Comment

My predictions for this game:

1-Baylor will win. I would love to say otherwise, but we have to be heavy underdogs no matter how you slice it.

2-Wolters (and probably Dykstra) will earn the respect of knowledgeable Baylor fans.
      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
        My predictions for this game:

1-Baylor will win. I would love to say otherwise, but we have to be heavy underdogs no matter how you slice it.

2-Wolters (and probably Dykstra) will earn the respect of knowledgeable Baylor fans.
        This is about how I see it.

Comment

Someone who's an insider simulate the game...let us know the results...does it go so far as to show stats, or just a score?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...-bracket-guide
          "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

I have deleted several posts that referred to posts that crossed the line and/or caused others to cross the line (the original posters have themselves deleted the originating posts).

Thanks to those posters for reining it in.

Let's keep things reasonably friendly from here on out.

Carry on.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
              Summit is Mid-Major. Certainly not to te level of Big 12, but not as weak as some parochial Big 12 fans might think. And, ORU I beileive was one of the first teams out on the selection.
              While, yes, there are 2 quality teams in the Summit League, you have to see why fans of Big 12 teams that probably haven't seen a single Summit League game (maybe ever), would look down on it.

BIG 12 RPIs
              6. Kansas 27-6
              8. Baylor 26-7
              10. Missouri 30-4
              33. Iowa State 22-10
              49. Kansas State 21-10
              51. Texas 20-13
              122. Oklahoma State 14-18
              139. Oklahoma 15-16
              165. Texas A&M 14-18
              240. Texas Tech 8-23
              AVERAGE - 82.3

BIG 12 Strength of Schedule Rankings
              10. Baylor
              11. Kansas
              19. Texas
              29. Oklahoma State
              39. Iowa State
              56. Kansas State
              60. Texas A&M
              64. Oklahoma
              69. Missouri
              71. Texas Tech
              AVERAGE - 42.8

SUMMIT RPIs
              42. South Dakota State 25-7
              48. Oral Roberts 27-6
              141. Oakland 16-15
              151. Western Illinois 14-14
              183. North Dakota State 15-13
              210. IUPUI 12-18
              227. Southern Utah 12-16
              267. UMKC 9-20
              279. IPFW 8-19
              291. South Dakota 7-18
              AVERAGE - 183.9

Summit Strength of Schedule Rankings
              137. Oakland
              143. Western Illinois
              152. IUPUI
              179. South Dakota State
              188. Oral Roberts
              194. UMKC
              205. IPFW
              222. Southern Utah
              228. North Dakota State
              247. South Dakota
              AVERAGE - 189.5

Comment

TruTV is 869 on Mediacom in HD(thank goodness)!!

Go Jacks!!
                SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Having seen Texas Tech on TV on a number of occasions, they would have struggled to win a lot of games in the Summit League--I'd say the RPI is probably a fairly accurate measure in their case.

SDSU and ORU both would likely have been upper-division teams in the Big 12--probably not much above .500 but definitely not bottom-feeders either. Putting both of them in the Iowa State/K-State/Texas tier of teams is probably where they would have finished.

Several teams in the Summit: Oakland, Western Illinois, IUPUI mainly--got significantly stronger as the season went on, in the conference season, so that their improvement isn't represented in either the RPI or the strength of schedule (both of which are skewed towards success in the early, non-conference portion of the schedule, at least on a conference-wide basis).

The problem with both RPI and strength of schedule as measures of team strengths is that after the conference seasons begin, both naturally tend to regress towards the mean of whatever conference a team happens to be in, conflating conference-wide and individual team measures. (This is why stats that include margin-of-victory like Sagarin or KenPom provide a better overall guide to relative individual team strength than RPI--this tends to retain a larger measure of individual team strength vs. conference mean strength).
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I'll be in Pierre for a meeting on Thursday. Can anyone from Pierre comment on the availability of TruTV out there? Any suggestions on a place where SDSU fans might be gathering to watch the game in Pierre?

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                      I'll be in Pierre for a meeting on Thursday. Can anyone from Pierre comment on the availability of TruTV out there? Any suggestions on a place where SDSU fans might be gathering to watch the game in Pierre?
                      TruTV is on channel 42 on Midco in Pierre. People may be at the Longbranch or the Pub out by the golf course. I would join you but I'm headed to Rapid City for state basketball.

Comment

Perhaps the apples to apples comparison would be to other mid-major conferences where men's BB budgets are less than $5 million/yr?

Originally posted by Texasjeremy View Post
                        While, yes, there are 2 quality teams in the Summit League, you have to see why fans of Big 12 teams that probably haven't seen a single Summit League game (maybe ever), would look down on it.

BIG 12 RPIs
                        6. Kansas 27-6
                        8. Baylor 26-7
                        10. Missouri 30-4
                        33. Iowa State 22-10
                        49. Kansas State 21-10
                        51. Texas 20-13
                        122. Oklahoma State 14-18
                        139. Oklahoma 15-16
                        165. Texas A&M 14-18
                        240. Texas Tech 8-23
                        AVERAGE - 82.3

BIG 12 Strength of Schedule Rankings
                        10. Baylor
                        11. Kansas
                        19. Texas
                        29. Oklahoma State
                        39. Iowa State
                        56. Kansas State
                        60. Texas A&M
                        64. Oklahoma
                        69. Missouri
                        71. Texas Tech
                        AVERAGE - 42.8

SUMMIT RPIs
                        42. South Dakota State 25-7
                        48. Oral Roberts 27-6
                        141. Oakland 16-15
                        151. Western Illinois 14-14
                        183. North Dakota State 15-13
                        210. IUPUI 12-18
                        227. Southern Utah 12-16
                        267. UMKC 9-20
                        279. IPFW 8-19
                        291. South Dakota 7-18
                        AVERAGE - 183.9

Summit Strength of Schedule Rankings
                        137. Oakland
                        143. Western Illinois
                        152. IUPUI
                        179. South Dakota State
                        188. Oral Roberts
                        194. UMKC
                        205. IPFW
                        222. Southern Utah
                        228. North Dakota State
                        247. South Dakota
                        AVERAGE - 189.5
                        You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                          You could also hit up Jake's place... better than the longbranch and less expensive then Pub-34

Comment

Congrats on a fine season, a great Summit tourney and a well-deserved bid to the NCAAs.

Comment

TV's Twitter

AccuScore simulated 10,000 games between SDSU and Baylor. Average score: 74.4-68.6. Jacks' chances to win: 33 percent.

Comment

Thanks, Bru-win. As you can imagine, making the tourney is a big deal for the Jackrabbit men. Our program was an excellent Divisiion II program but when we moved to Division I, we were snakebit -- everything that could go wrong seemed to go wrong. This program has scratched and clawed its way back and every one of its fans is rightfully proud of this season. Many thought next year would be the first year we'd enter the Tourney as the team matured another year so we're doubly proud to get there this year.

No question Baylor is a great basketball team. The odds-makers should and will pick Baylor and to do otherwise would be foolish. But, your coach and his family/coaching background with Valpo (which then belonged to the Summit League under its old name, the Mid-Continent Conference), knows what a mid-major can do if things fall into place just right. Baylor will be well prepared. And the Jackrabbits will be prepared too.

I predict a very entertaining game -- one a fan not connected with BU or SDSU will enjoy.

Welcome to this board.

Comment

Working...
                                X