Summit League Tournament Championship - WIU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Summit League Tournament Championship - WIU

I wonder if you went to the Ombudsman, if that wouldn't help.
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSU Dad View Post
      Free Publicity for everyone ....I guess
      Just saw on ESPN2 college basketball, a screen that said "Tickets Punched" Out of the Ordinary...Jackrabbits jumping for joy...South Dakota State's first ever bid
      They had a picture of the USD Coyote paw in red to the left with SD in the middle!

Good Job ESPN researchers
      Someone will get in trouble, the problem is the person in charge of that is probably some tech guy who has never watched basketball and typed in South Dakota into Google and put the first thing he found up on the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
        Just found out from a friend that a large portion of the WIU student section were Augie students paid to be there by ESPN or SF Sports Authority so WIU had people to cheer for them. Late in the game the people around them started an Augie sucks cheer that spread into our section and lasted for a few seconds during 1 time out. I couldn't understand why it started but found out today. The friend of mine is from Sioux Falls and was sitting behind the section.

I went to school at State the first time through from 86-90. Always hated Augie much more than the U. This just confirms my feelings still today.
        It was WIU that recruited the cheering section...not ESPN or SF Sports Authority. WIU gave them all the gear for free and tickets to the game. They weren't paid to be there. The Augie part is accurate though but not the reference to ESPN or SFSA. Students also got pre-game food for participating and supporting WIU.

Comment

Originally posted by Cadsev View Post
          It was WIU that recruited the cheering section...not ESPN or SF Sports Authority. WIU gave them all the gear for free and tickets to the game. They weren't paid to be there. The Augie part is accurate though but not the reference to ESPN or SFSA. Students also got pre-game food for participating and supporting WIU.
          I'll repeat then: Full props to WIU for resourcefulness, then. No worries from me at all about it. Perhaps next year they'll bring a bus or two of their own students!
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Still weak on all accounts. Like Filbert said, maybe they should have spent that money on funding a bus load of their own students to come up. Or better yet, brought their pep band like every other team (lots of discussion on their board about why their band wasn't present the whole tournament).

Even worse IMO for the Augie students (99% were most likely from IA, MN, or SD) to show up under those circumstances. Participating in that way is sad enough, but then to actively provoke the crowd around you with insults and old rivalry cheers instead of just rooting for "your team" = dumb.
            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Oakland Women's team did some community service in S. Falls and had the backing of Celebrate Church members at their game. According to Terry V they had the 2nd largest fan base comprised of all local SD people supporting their team. WIU wasn't the only one recruiting support and if they are resourful enough to do so props to them. May have been easier to hand out 40 t-shirts to local ex-rival school students than bring a bus of their own fans. I'm sure it was done on short notice and most WIU never imagined they'd even make the tournament let alone the finals. Pretty sad they didn't get more support or bring their band but at least they rallied some support for their team. Honestly had no idea they were Augie students until I heard the story yesterday.

Comment

Oakland Women's team did some community service in S. Falls and had the backing of Celebrate Church members at their game. According to Terry V they had the 2nd largest fan base comprised of all local SD people supporting their team. WIU wasn't the only one recruiting support and if they are resourful enough to do so props to them. May have been easier to hand out 40 t-shirts to local ex-rival school students than bring a bus of their own fans. I'm sure it was done on short notice and most WIU never imagined they'd even make the tournament let alone the finals. Pretty sad they didn't get more support or bring their band but at least they rallied some support for their team. Honestly had no idea they were Augie students until I heard the story yesterday.
                Just gives more reason to continue my dislike of Augie and move my support to USF. I also consider what Oakland did as vastly different as they put time and resources into creating bonds in the community. They were pen pals with 6h graders and visited the church and the kids any time they were in town.
                "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                -Leo Rosten

Comment

I don't personally understand why some people think that this is something to seriously dog WIU (or Augie, for that matter) about. (Pun, in both cases, unintended but what the heck, it fits!)

Light hearted smack I'd understand, but it seems that some folks are taking this kinda personal.

Besides, what the heck! We won!
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Dan Barreiro show has about a 4 minute clip about the Jacks and their win. Talks about how the Jacks are their team in the tourney this year. Starts at about 11:30 in

http://www.kfan.com/player/?station=...l&mid=21887623

Comment

I think its funny, and I'll give them some credit for creativity.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                        I don't personally understand why some people think that this is something to seriously dog WIU (or Augie, for that matter) about. (Pun, in both cases, unintended but what the heck, it fits!)

Light hearted smack I'd understand, but it seems that some folks are taking this kinda personal.

I wouldn't say any more personal than your feelings about Mastadons.
                        "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                        -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
                          I wouldn't say any more personal than your feelings about Mastadons.
                          Actually, I'm feeling kind of warm and fuzzy towards IPFW nowadays. Weird, huh?
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Actually, I'm feeling kind of warm and fuzzy towards IPFW nowadays. Weird, huh?
                            probably because they're haven't been a threat to beat us lately.

Comment

I agree with you, how bad would it had looked if no one was there. It sounds worse, and to many it will be worse, but if no one is in the Arena with your colors on, with ESPN televising it, it looks much much worse. Yeah, they should have gotten a bus load of students to come to the game, but I get the feeling not too many WIU fans were expecting them to get to the championship.

Comment

Just re-watched the game.

What a HELL of a game. Whew.

Western Illinois is my new second favorite Summit League team. Wow, what an effort those guys put out. With SDSU they will be among the favorites in the Summit League next year, if there is any justice at all.

I have NOTHING but respect for Western Illinois. I guess that's why I'm getting a bit annoyed about the "controversy" about the Augie fans in WIU t-shirts.

Good for WIU. Well played by them.
                                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                                X